Solved

My SMART meter isn't communicating. Will OVO react to this problem automatically and fix it or do I have to do something?

• 25 September 2019
  • 3 replies

My SMART meter hasn't communicated since the beginning of August. Will OVO react to this problem automatically and fix it or do I have to do something ? I have tried emailing them but no response. This morinng I found a message telling someone else that they should send them a Facebook Message so I have tried that.
Anyone else having these sort of problems ? Did your problem get fixed ?
Not much point in having a SMART meter, if it's not being smart!!

Regards
PhilipJ
icon

Best answer by Transparent 25 September 2019, 17:45

Hi @Hongkongandy - it is true that Smart Meters do experience some faults whereby they restart communications again on their own.

Last week I had an engineer here to install my third set of SMETS2 meters. He told me that there had been two recent "outages" from DCC, who handle all the communications with SMETS2 meters.

OVO will be aware of such instances and can monitor which areas of the country are being affected. So they're becoming more aware of which types of fault are best corrected by the various strategies available to them.

If you feel that what you're experiencing isn't being correctly assessed by OVO, then send them an email with a more accurate set of symptoms. If possible provide dates of what you've noticed and reported.

In my case OVO had been successfully restarting the link between my gas meter and Comms Hub by downloading software updates. But then the symptoms changed - two indicators on the Hub no longer flashed any of the three possible sequences.

It's those little bits of detail which the SMETS2 Team need in order to better understand what's happening. Remember, they can't see what's on your IHD, nor the indicator LEDs. They also see different displays from those you view on the OVO App and your MyOVO page.

Their difficulty is when customers simply report that their Smart Meters are "faulty", or "not working", or provide unclear information such as calling the IHD a "smart meter".

If you want help finding the right description for what you're seeing, then please post here and others of us can discuss the details with you.
View original

3 replies

Hi. Mine stopped communicating middle of July. I emailed, phoned and all I get was we will send an engineer after 12 weeks as it might start agaiin on its own!
i had given up all hope when, yes you guessed it stated again last week with no intervention!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Hongkongandy - it is true that Smart Meters do experience some faults whereby they restart communications again on their own.

Last week I had an engineer here to install my third set of SMETS2 meters. He told me that there had been two recent "outages" from DCC, who handle all the communications with SMETS2 meters.

OVO will be aware of such instances and can monitor which areas of the country are being affected. So they're becoming more aware of which types of fault are best corrected by the various strategies available to them.

If you feel that what you're experiencing isn't being correctly assessed by OVO, then send them an email with a more accurate set of symptoms. If possible provide dates of what you've noticed and reported.

In my case OVO had been successfully restarting the link between my gas meter and Comms Hub by downloading software updates. But then the symptoms changed - two indicators on the Hub no longer flashed any of the three possible sequences.

It's those little bits of detail which the SMETS2 Team need in order to better understand what's happening. Remember, they can't see what's on your IHD, nor the indicator LEDs. They also see different displays from those you view on the OVO App and your MyOVO page.

Their difficulty is when customers simply report that their Smart Meters are "faulty", or "not working", or provide unclear information such as calling the IHD a "smart meter".

If you want help finding the right description for what you're seeing, then please post here and others of us can discuss the details with you.
Hi,
I used the Facebook Messenger route and got a reply pretty quickly with a number of questions about what the meter was doing and where it was situated. After answering these I was told it would be passed to another team and they would reply to let me know what they would plan to fix it.
In case my first post was confusing, I wasn't meaning the communication between the meter unit and the display unit in my home, that has always been fine. I meant the communication from my meter unit back to OVO.
Anyway I'll post back here when I get further reposnse from this team about what they are going to do.
PhilipJ