Solved

My smart meter is making a funny noise - What should I do?

• 30 May 2017
  • 1 reply

I had a gas & electric smart meter fitted about 3 weeks ago.

Since then my outside gas meter makes a really loud noise every time the gas switches on, surely this can't be correct?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 31 May 2017, 11:39

View original

1 reply

Updated on 20/07/23 by Abby_OVO

Some noise from your smart gas meter is considered normal, however if this is particularly loud or a beeping noise, it's best to look into it a little further.

Beeping gas meter

All gas meters (Smart and traditional) have an internal battery that power them. This is designed to last for up to 20 years, with a meter recertification (exchanging the meter to replace it with a new one) scheduled every 10 years, so it’s unusual for this issue to crop up so soon. If your gas smart meter is making a beeping sound, it indicates that the battery is low and the meter will need replacing. If the battery fails this can affect the supply, so it’s important to reach out to our Support Team if you do ever notice that your meter is beeping.

Noisy gas meter

• There are two common issues that can occur in a gas meter to cause either a constant or an intermittent noise. 
    • The first is the when the regulator is faulty, causing a "humming noise" to come from the meter
    • The second is when the diaphragm in the meter is faulty and causes a "mechanical noise" to come from the meter (using a high-pitched screeching sound)
  • Both of these faults are deemed to be safe but can cause disruption for the household.
  • To diagnose the fault we will need a video of the meter so we can diagnose the sound. Email this to hello@ovoenergy.com. 
  • The recalculation of the removal reading for noisy meters is not required unless there is confirmation the meter is clocking consumption inaccurately as well.

Find out more about what can cause these noises on our full guide to meter faults here.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!