Solved

My smart meter is interfering with my TV - why?

• 22 December 2017
  • 1 reply

I had smart meters installed on the 20th December 2017 and I've discovered that they appear to interfere with my television. I have a Secure Meters Pipit 500 in-home display. I'm not sure what the new electricity and gas meters makes/models are.
The problem became apparent when my TV (a Panasonic) when on standby turned itself on in the evening. I have monitored the behaviour and can confirm that every 25 minutes or so the TV turns on. Thankfully the TV is connected in such a way (via an AV receiver that is turned off) that after a few minutes it realises there is no signal and turns itself off again after another three minutes. I have removed the remote control batteries to check that there was no problem there either.
I believe that every 25 minutes the HAN, or WAN makes a transmission. This is causing my TV to turn on. I understand that some TV remote controllers work on a similar frequency to some smart meters.
Whilst the TV is turned on there is no problem. The smart meter transmission doesn't appear to affect the TV. It may still be sending a signal to turn on, but I can't really confirm. Thankfully it's not sending a signal to cause the TV to turn off!
Has anyone experienced this problem? Any thoughts on how it may be resolved.
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 27 December 2017, 13:22

I had smart meters installed on the 20th December 2017 and I've discovered that they appear to interfere with my television. I have a Secure Meters Pipit 500 in-home display. I'm not sure what the new electricity and gas meters makes/models are.
The problem became apparent when my TV (a Panasonic) when on standby turned itself on in the evening. I have monitored the behaviour and can confirm that every 25 minutes or so the TV turns on. Thankfully the TV is connected in such a way (via an AV receiver that is turned off) that after a few minutes it realises there is no signal and turns itself off again after another three minutes. I have removed the remote control batteries to check that there was no problem there either.
I believe that every 25 minutes the HAN, or WAN makes a transmission. This is causing my TV to turn on. I understand that some TV remote controllers work on a similar frequency to some smart meters.
Whilst the TV is turned on there is no problem. The smart meter transmission doesn't appear to affect the TV. It may still be sending a signal to turn on, but I can't really confirm. Thankfully it's not sending a signal to cause the TV to turn off!

Hey SuperV,

It’s very unlikely that the smart meters would be causing any interference with your TV. The best thing to do would be to get an electrician to check this out and if they establish the cause of the issue to be from the smart meter, please contact our team on Twitter or Facebook so they can help you further with this.

I hope you don't mind but I’ve also edited the title of your topic slightly so that it’s more searchable for other users.

Thanks,
Lucy

**Updated 17/07/2019**
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hey SuperV,

It’s very unlikely that the smart meters would be causing any interference with your TV. The best thing to do would be to get an electrician to check this out and if they establish the cause of the issue to be from the smart meter, please contact our team on Twitter or Facebook so they can help you further with this.

I hope you don't mind but I’ve also edited the title of your topic slightly so that it’s more searchable for other users.

Thanks,
Lucy

**Updated 17/07/2019**