Solved

My smart gas meter isn't communicating with OVO anymore - no readings - why?

• 21 November 2017
  • 56 replies

Have been on Smart Gas and Electric meters for some time now but in the last month the Gas meter has failed to send any readings to OVO so at the weekend I did a manual read by pressing '9' on the Gas meter and sent these in. Anyone have any ideas why this would suddenly stop working? is there some magic sequence of buttons to press to get this working again? The smart display shows figures for Electric but nothing at all for Gas.

Updated on 12/07/2019
icon

Best answer by Mw2870 22 November 2017, 22:46

10/10 for effort going outside! It is miserable here!
My mistake, it is the WAN light which flashes on the Electricity meter.
On the Electricity and Gas meter you have to press any button and when you do there should be a solid "HAN" symbol on the LCD display. It may be flashing on one or both if there is a problem.
Is the electricity meter in a different location from the Gas. Some people have reported connection problems when they are a distance apart.
Finally do you have an IHD (In Home Display) is that reporting any info from the Gas Meter?
In the meantime you can send in manual readings by pressing the "9" button and making a note of the kWh value.

Another potentially helpful topic here.

**updated 18/02/2020**

View original

56 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Oh yes; I’m glad you found that too @MDL73

Ofgem have highlighted “lack of public knowledge” as a reason why the UK Domestic Energy strategy is being held back.

I think there’s a lot that can be done to alleviate this by those with a little technical knowledge sharing it with a wider audience.

Now that the public (and Parliament) is motivated to combat Climate Change, I’d really like to see rapid progress towards us using Smart Metering to better handle our energy consumption. That means we need to get beyond the issues of fault-reporting, and move onto variable-rate tariffs, automated use of devices via Auxilliary Load-Control Switches and energy-storage technologies.

There’s so much more that SMETS meters can do for us than simply reporting usage!

I think I can make better use of my time & knowledge by sharing information here than I can by joining XR on a protest march. (But I do have friends who are members).

Interestingly, some of my diagrams posted to this Forum are now finding their way into official publications! :slight_smile:

Feel free to share anything here with family, friends and neighbours. Nor do they have to be OVO customers to join in.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks for posting an update! Useful to know incase anyone else has the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @oboulind The non-communicating gas meter is a known problem which is besetting a number of customers... including me!

We haven't yet been told if OVO have tracked down a single reason for this, but it's being discussed elsewhere across the Forum. I suggest you start by having a look at what we've been writing about SMETS2 Meter Installations here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Ah… well that makes sense to me from a technical viewpoint @MDL73. I can think of several reasons why the Zigbee link between Gas Meter, Communications Hub and its internal Gas-proxy can break.

That’s why OVO are trying to spot patterns by requesting additional information.

Some customers will find this daunting. But others of us don’t mind putting our heads inside meter boxes and pressing buttons to read meter-status messages!

Have a look at what I wrote here just 3 days ago about the LED indicators giving a false positive reading.

Every little bit of information helps.

@Transparent  – thank you for the link to the other thread, will have a good read of that today. Guess it’s my phon’s flashlight and an evening spent pushing buttons for me! I have no problem doing the techhy part, it’s just frustrating that it’s stopped so suddenly. The IHD, gas meter, elec. meter and my own broadband hub ar no more than 5m apart...in fact the IHD is centre-point of a 5m radius where the other 3 items above sit. 

@Transparent – ….saw you posted this on another topic – VERY USEFUL!! Thank you.

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-booking-and-installations-66/smets2-smart-meter-installation-6181

That’s what I meant when I said it was dead; pressing 9 did not get any response.

Ovo are supposed to be sending someone now. Until they do I guess I have free gas.

Userlevel 5
Badge

It sounds like a faulty meter for sure, @taffy, glad to hear you have an appointment booked in.

This topic will give you some insight on the next steps, after a faulty meter has been replaced. 

Thanks! 

That's not good, @harpingon - I can see why you're frustrated!

Send us a PM on Facebook with your full name, DoB and account number so we can look into this for you. We can figure out what's wrong with the gas meter and look into ways we can fix it.

Thanks,
Emma
After 4 months my smart meter has stopped sending meter readings to OVO who have asked me to manually send them
Not the easiest to read the meters- old ones were far easier

Sent meter readings and am still waiting for my bill. Should it take over 19 days!!

Hey @Cbartleman428

I've moved your query over to an existing topic, so it's easier for others to find.

As mentioned in Tim's 'Best Answer' at the top, there's a number of reasons why the smart meters could have communication issues.

However, in this case it's a little odd that they would stop sending readings after 4 months - and I'd like to look into this for you. Please send us a PM on Facebook with your full name, DoB and account number (or full address).

Cheers,
Emily
In that case, @Cbartleman428 I'd recommend emailing the Care team at hello@ovoenergy.com.

Emma
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
If you drop the Social team a message as Emma has advised @harpingon, they will be more than happy to help you with this.

Lucy
I just posted about this before reading your topic.

My electric meter works okay-ish for sending readings. Gas hasn't sent an update for 111 days now.

The meters are side by side on the side of the house, in plastic boxes two feet apart. The IHD shows some data for Electric, but nothing for gas.

As for OVO being useful to sort this out? Well, they haven't been for me. The installation was two years ago, and it's never really worked properly for Gas. I let it slide as it was managing a read one time every week or two, which was good enough, but 111 days is not on.

When it was put in, they left it all in a not-working state, and I had to take more days off work for them to come and fit a second gas meter, which has been as unreliable as the first.

It also annoys me that the website says "You haven't given meter reads in a while" , er, no. Your tech doesn't work properly.
This has been happening to me for the past couple of months or so. I have contacted Customer Support on numerous occasions only to be told on Tuesday that It not possible to fix and if I want readings then do it manually. The reason I got a smart meter is because of all the hype and being offered one from OVO and it suited me as I am 75 years old and to get gas readings I have to lay on the floor because of the location of the smart meter. I have been sen a relay but that does not change anything the distance between the meters is about one metre. When the meter was installed the engineer had a lot of trouble getting the gas meter to work ever since it has been very intermittent. I have been on the Resolver website and their advice is to contact ofgem but I thought I would contact the Managing Director of OVO first. Mysteriously I then received an email informing me to join this Forum. It seems that Customer Service do not have an answer. Can anyone help please please

One of the many frustrating things about this is, when you contact OVO and report this problem, you'll be told that they've "never heard of this problem before", which frustrates me no end, as it's clearly a blatant lie.

I'll keep posting as and when I do/do not get this resolved.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Simond,

The Electricity meter connects to a mobile phone network and sends the reading from both the Gas and Electricity meters.

Presumably the Electricity readings are still working?

Which lights are on all the time and which ones are flashing on the Gas meter?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

10/10 for effort going outside! It is miserable here!
My mistake, it is the WAN light which flashes on the Electricity meter.
On the Electricity and Gas meter you have to press any button and when you do there should be a solid "HAN" symbol on the LCD display. It may be flashing on one or both if there is a problem.
Is the electricity meter in a different location from the Gas. Some people have reported connection problems when they are a distance apart.
Finally do you have an IHD (In Home Display) is that reporting any info from the Gas Meter?
In the meantime you can send in manual readings by pressing the "9" button and making a note of the kWh value.

Another potentially helpful topic here.

**updated 18/02/2020**

Userlevel 3
I'm starting to see this issue myself, and the meters have only been in a few days. I'm seeing breaks in the graphs on the ovo site, some for just a few minutes, others for a few hours. The IHD is connected fine and is showing readings at all times, I've also connected it to my Wifi at home to get realtime readings, but this seems to just be hit&miss...
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Anders - I've moved your topic over here where other user have been discussing similar issued. You should be able to find some helpful information.

Just to check a couple of things:
- How long have the meters been installed for? If it's less than 6 weeks, your account may not be updated yet.
- What's phone signal like by your electricity meter?
- Can you see if the WAN and HAN lights on the gas and electricity meters are flashing or solid?

If it turns out you do need to provide readings manually, you don't need to convert them at all. Don't input anything after the decimal point. On a smart meter, your electricity meter with have a 7 digit reading, but your online account will only allow 5. In that case, omit the first two 0's. Your gas reading should have 5 digits and there should be 5 on your online account.

@veato - I've moved your post here too. Check our Matt's "Best Answer" at the top for some tips on checking if your meters are communicating with us.

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @Dodos - I've moved your post over here where users have been discussing similar issues. There's quite a lot of info about similar scenarios above.

Depending on the distance between you gas and electricity meter, we may be able to fit a relay device to strengthen the signal between the two. We'd just need to know:

- How far apart are the two meters?
- Are they on different floors of the house?
- Are there any thick walls between them?
- Are either of them in boxed (if so, are they metal, plastic etc)?

Hope this helps!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @dasilvor - calling would probably be the quickest option! Although I can offer some more advice on here. Was the gas meter not exchanged at the time? If not, did the engineer mention that something about the setup might need amending before we can exchange it?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @dasilvor - that really shouldn't be the case if you can't get the help you need on the FAQs or Forum. We'd like to look into this for you. Please send the team on Facebook a message with your account number, full name and DoB so they can investigate.
After 4 months my smart meter has stopped sending meter readings to OVO who have asked me to manually send them
Not the easiest to read the meters- old ones were far easier

Sent meter readings and am still waiting for my bill. Should it take over 19 days!!
Sorry I do not have a Facebook account
Hi MW,

yes I understand Gas meter 'talks' to electric meter to send in figures and these are appearing correctly for electric but not gas.

Could be just coincidence but about a month ago I seem to remember ticking an option to send figures every hour so maybe the battery ran out?

Just had a quick look in the dark (it's outside in a box) and couldn't see any lights flashing.

Should there be?

Checking on my OVO account I see both new smart meters were installed in June 2015.
yes the electric meter is flashing away in a cycle of 5 which I believe is correct and as previously mentioned figures are appearing at OVO so not a SIM connection problem

The electric meter lives in a box in the porch at the front of the house and the gas meter in another box on the side of the house maybe 10 metres away in a straight line but signal would have to go through 2 external walls and 2 internal walls.

If I take the IHD out by the gas meter it still shows a signal and I can view Electric history but nothing appears for gas on the IHD. When I press '9' on gas meter the display cycles through and DOES display HAN so maybe this is just an internal OVO billing problem?