Solved

My gas smart meter needs to be 'commissioned' - what does this mean?

• 5 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi, I had a smart meter system installed just over a week ago. A few days later it was apparent that the gas meter was not connecting via the HAN (no readings on IHD, pressing 0 on the meter displays "Commission?"). I called OVO and was told a Lowri-Beck engineer would be in touch. I called again the other day and was told this could take up to ten working days as I was on an "ad hoc" list. What does this actually mean? The CSA I spoke to wasn't very clear.
I'm very annoyed by this. I took time off work to have the meters fitted and now I'm having to wait for an engineer to call me at a random time to arrange an appointment to come and fix a pairing issue. Everything in your organisation assumes everything will go right first time. If something goes wrong the customer is basically ignored and palmed off with "don't call us, some contractor will call you....". Your advisor helpfully told me I could still submit gas readings by reading the meter. Great! Just like I never bothered to take time off work and have the smart meters fitted at all.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 15 November 2017, 13:43

Sorry to hear about these gas meter issues @Rogerphp @Mark - what a pain!

If the word 'commission' is showing on the gas meter when you press 0 on the meter's keypad, it isn't a signal issue. This means the meter wasn't set up correctly when the engineer visited the first time. When this happens we will add you to the 'add hoc' appointments list, which means an engineer will be in contact when they're in your area and free. If you're not around when they call, it's no issue. They will try again next time.

In the meantime, make sure to submit these gas readings manually by pressing 9 on the meter's keypad.

Tim

Updated on 12/07/2019
View original

3 replies

Hi, I had a smart meter system installed just over a week ago. A few days later it was apparent that the gas meter was not connecting via the HAN (no readings on IHD, pressing 0 on the meter displays "Commission?"). I called OVO and was told a Lowri-Beck engineer would be in touch. I called again the other day and was told this could take up to ten working days as I was on an "ad hoc" list. What does this actually mean? The CSA I spoke to wasn't very clear.
I'm very annoyed by this. I took time off work to have the meters fitted and now I'm having to wait for an engineer to call me at a random time to arrange an appointment to come and fix a pairing issue. Everything in your organisation assumes everything will go right first time. If something goes wrong the customer is basically ignored and palmed off with "don't call us, some contractor will call you....". Your advisor helpfully told me I could still submit gas readings by reading the meter. Great! Just like I never bothered to take time off work and have the smart meters fitted at all.

Hi Mark. Don't hold your breath. If it's a signal issue it won't be resolved... I'm now into year4 - still climbing the steps and manually reading, which is not too easy for a short-sighted old bloke!!. And the prices have increased beyond other providers. If you try to switch watch out because the meter is not necessarily compatible so check that out first. Good luck. Not sure what I'll do when I can't access the meter any longer????
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Sorry to hear about these gas meter issues @Rogerphp @Mark - what a pain!

If the word 'commission' is showing on the gas meter when you press 0 on the meter's keypad, it isn't a signal issue. This means the meter wasn't set up correctly when the engineer visited the first time. When this happens we will add you to the 'add hoc' appointments list, which means an engineer will be in contact when they're in your area and free. If you're not around when they call, it's no issue. They will try again next time.

In the meantime, make sure to submit these gas readings manually by pressing 9 on the meter's keypad.

Tim

Updated on 12/07/2019
Being as how I've been waiting over a fortnight for one of these "ad hoc" calls I can tell the chances of getting one when I'm in are virtually the same as winning the lottery (that's taking into account the fact that I don't even do the lottery). That's a handy tip about submitting gas readings by pressing 9 on the keypad to display the reading my old meter used to display without pressing any buttons, then submitting the reading manually like I used to before all this nearly happened.
I'd add that a small chalkboard and a calculator makes for an handy IHD substitute. All you need to is press button 9 every half hour, subtract the last reading, multiply by the calorific value and then by the cost per unit. Wipe the old reading off the board, chalk the new one up and relax. You can use that idea in your literature if you'd like, it's no more ridiculous than anything else suggested so far.