Solved

Issues with SMETS1 Gas Smart Meter

• 13 August 2018
  • 5 replies

I have a SMETS1 Gas Smart meter on the outside of my flat, and an Electricity Smart Meter on the inside of the flat in a cupboard.
I know there are some communications issues with the Gas Smart Meter that have stopped it sending readings but I'm unclear exactly where the issue lies.

I understand the electricity smart meter has the WAN (2G/GSM) component, and the gas meter send its readings to the electricity meter by HAN (Zigbee/2.4ghz) to then be relayed to the provider. Is my understanding of this correct?

I removed the IHD (the Pipit 500) as it stopped working. Would having the IHD in place (its about mid way between the meters) help to relay the Zigbee signal from one meter to another?

Can I get a better IHD? What about if I buy one off of eBay, or can I bribe the provider to provide a better quality product?

Would any generic Zigbee relay/booster device work between the meters or does it need to be a specific Smart Meter product?

Would adding an external WAN antenna to the electricity meter do anything to improve communications with the Gas meter? (I assume no.)

Will SMETS2 meters have higher gain signal between meters that could potentially solve this problem?

Thanks in advance all!
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 15 August 2018, 12:09

Hey @lozzy0603,

Some pretty technical questions here! Thought I'd jump in and offer some answers.

- Your understanding of the comms between devices is correct!

- Your IHD will need reconnecting if you removed it. Our team can do this for you if you give them a ring. Yes - having the IHD between the meters will help boost signal.

- We are now rolling out the Chameleon IHD with new smart meter installs. You can have a look at how it works here. Unfortunately due to stock levels, we can't currently issue replacement Chameleons for all customers with Pipits.

- Any Zigbee device would in theory boost the signal, as long as we have connected it to the HAN network. We generally wouldn't connect a non-OVO CAD device as we can't be sure of the security implications. Currently, we'd only connect the Pipit or Chameleon to your HAN.

- An external antenna could only be added to the electricity meter, as this communicates to OVO via WAN. The gas meter does not use WAN, so this wouldn't improve signal between gas and elec.

- As far as I know (though I will ask for further clarification and get back to you), SMETS2 will operate on the same network, so connectivity would be the same. That said, mobile networks across the UK are continually being upgraded, so signal should get better and better over time.

Hope this helps for now!
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @lozzy0603,

Some pretty technical questions here! Thought I'd jump in and offer some answers.

- Your understanding of the comms between devices is correct!

- Your IHD will need reconnecting if you removed it. Our team can do this for you if you give them a ring. Yes - having the IHD between the meters will help boost signal.

- We are now rolling out the Chameleon IHD with new smart meter installs. You can have a look at how it works here. Unfortunately due to stock levels, we can't currently issue replacement Chameleons for all customers with Pipits.

- Any Zigbee device would in theory boost the signal, as long as we have connected it to the HAN network. We generally wouldn't connect a non-OVO CAD device as we can't be sure of the security implications. Currently, we'd only connect the Pipit or Chameleon to your HAN.

- An external antenna could only be added to the electricity meter, as this communicates to OVO via WAN. The gas meter does not use WAN, so this wouldn't improve signal between gas and elec.

- As far as I know (though I will ask for further clarification and get back to you), SMETS2 will operate on the same network, so connectivity would be the same. That said, mobile networks across the UK are continually being upgraded, so signal should get better and better over time.

Hope this helps for now!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Can you tell us if this is now sorted @lozzy0603?

Is your Pipit now operational?
And is it positioned mid-way between the two Smart Meters?

Has this now helped the gas meter send its Zigbee signals to the electricity meter?

If not, do you realise that OVO can supply you with a mains-powered Zigbee relay?
Thanks for the info all.
We are in the process of getting this fixed. It seems the smart meter needs to be recommissioned. Who carries out this work as it is not transparent to the end-user, is it Siemens?
It seems there is a shortage of engineers as they keep cancelling appointments with us, despite their rather strict rules and charges if customers cancel appointments.

Does anyone have any product links to the actual WAN antennas or the mains Zigbee relays? Who does this, is it Secure Meters Ltd? Can't find anything on their website.

I just wish the whole process was a bit more transparent to the real customer. I don't know why the actual product data needs to be shrouded from the end-user.
I think the middle service companies would actually find their work load a lot lighter if they could just let the end user do a little bit more for themselves.
Userlevel 5
Have you spoken to the team about this, @lozzy0603? They would've done a smart meter health check with you, to help diagnose the issue. If you haven't done the check, just let us know and we'll post the questions here for you to complete.

The engineers who'll come out to fix the issue will either be from Siemens, SMS or OVO, it depends on who is currently working in your area.

Unfortunately we would be unable to provide product links, this would be sensitive company data.

We always want to be as transparent as we can with our customers, so I'm sorry if you don't feel like this is the case. We'll do everything we can to answer any questions you may have and help resolve any issues with your smart meters.

Eva
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@lozzy0603, I think @Eva_OVO's correct. Your customer contract is with OVO, and it is their responsibility to decide who they use as a sub-contractor for Smart Meter site visits, or a supplier/manufacturer of Zigbee relays.

If anything isn't right, then you are protected by the Consumer Rights Act (which has replaced the Sale of Goods Act and extended its coverage). OVO are responsible for ensuring that the different bits of kit all communicate with each other. As customers, we shouldn't need to resolve anything ourselves.

Also, only OVO are permitted to instruct DCC to send commands to your meters. Once you've gone though their Smart Meter Health Check, they'll know which things can be configured remotely and which require an on-site visit.