Solved

Is my smart meter SMETS1 or SMETS2 ?

• 7 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Hi
Earkier this year, I had a smart meter fitted. I specifically asked for a SMETS2 and was told that SMETS2 would be fitted. However, whilst thinking about switching supplier, I'm told that the national database says that my address is fitted with a SMETS1. How can I tell whether I actually have a SMETS2 or 1 ?
Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 10 September 2019, 14:33

Hi @Chainsawuser,

One easy way to tell is to look at your electricity meter. If the serial number starts with 19P, then this indicates it's a SMETS1 meter. If it starts with 19M, then this means SMETS2.

If you had a SMETS1 meter initially and we've replaced it for a second generation meter, we may not have updated the national database to reflect this yet. It can take 4 to 6 weeks from the installation date to do this.

Hope this helps!
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Chainsawuser,

One easy way to tell is to look at your electricity meter. If the serial number starts with 19P, then this indicates it's a SMETS1 meter. If it starts with 19M, then this means SMETS2.

If you had a SMETS1 meter initially and we've replaced it for a second generation meter, we may not have updated the national database to reflect this yet. It can take 4 to 6 weeks from the installation date to do this.

Hope this helps!
Thanks or the reply Nancy.
My meter serial number actually starts 17P. Does that mean SMETS1 or 2 ?
Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge
@Chainsawuser - SMETS1. It's the letter you're looking for. The numbers before just indicate the year in which the meter was manufactured. 17 = 2017, 19 = 2019.
Thanks Nancy, looks as though I've been misled then. I was expecting SMETS2 but have been given a SMETS1 !
Userlevel 5
SMETS1 meters will be updates soon, @Chainsawuser, so it will have the same functionality as a SMETS2 meter.