Solved

Is my smart meter SMETS1 or SMETS2 ?

• 7 September 2019
  • 9 replies

Hi,

Earlier this year, I had a smart meter fitted. I specifically asked for a SMETS2 and was told that SMETS2 would be fitted. However, whilst thinking about switching supplier, I'm told that the national database says that my address is fitted with a SMETS1. How can I tell whether I actually have a SMETS2 or 1?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 10 September 2019, 14:33

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 09/01/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

If you’ve had a smart meter installed by OVO, you can check the model manufacturer to see if it’s a SMETS1 (S1) meter or SMETS2 (S2) meter. ‘Secure’ meters we installed are S1, ‘Aclara’ or ‘Elster’ electricity meters are S2.

If you’ve got a S1 meter, this will soon be remotely upgraded to S2 functionality, read more about this here.

Other suppliers may have installed other S1 and S2 meter models, if in doubt it’s best to check with your current supplier. You can find out how to check whether the Landis and Gyr meter you have is S1 or S2 here.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Smart Meter lost communication with OVO? Fill in this Online Form.

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Thanks or the reply Nancy.
My meter serial number actually starts 17P. Does that mean SMETS1 or 2 ?
Thanks
Userlevel 5
@Chainsawuser - SMETS1. It's the letter you're looking for. The numbers before just indicate the year in which the meter was manufactured. 17 = 2017, 19 = 2019.
Thanks Nancy, looks as though I've been misled then. I was expecting SMETS2 but have been given a SMETS1 !
Userlevel 5
SMETS1 meters will be updates soon, @Chainsawuser, so it will have the same functionality as a SMETS2 meter.

Hi,

I am in the process of switching to Ovo from Eon, who I currently have a smart meter with.

Will the smart meter still work and will the in home display that I have also work?

I’ve searched the forums but all threads seem to be a year old.

Thanks

Richard

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @richardibarnes 

Welcome to the Forum! It depends if Eon fitted SMETS1 meters or SMETS2 ones. At the moment it is mostly likely to be SMETS1 meters. This means you will need to arrange with OVO for an engineer to install the new meters.

But at the moment, OVO have stopped taking bookings until 1st May. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters

For the meantime you can provide meter readings manually or let OVO estimate your usage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Sorry - I disagree.

OVO won’t replace SMETS1 meters if you already have them fitted.

Instead, all existing SMETS1 meters will receive a software upgrade later this year, and be migrated onto the National Smart Meter Network.

So you may be in the position of needing to take a few manual readings whilst waiting for the SMETS2 upgrade.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Sorry - I disagree.

OVO won’t replace SMETS1 meters if you already have them fitted.

Instead, all existing SMETS1 meters will receive a software upgrade later this year, and be migrated onto the National Smart Meter Network.

So you may be in the position of needing to take a few manual readings whilst waiting for the SMETS2 upgrade.

I should’ve probably tagged you in this first before answering haha