Solved

I've got no mobile signal since having smart meters - is it linked?

• 5 October 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi,

My dad had his smart meter installed a few weeks ago. We've noticed the mobile phone signal in the house is pretty much non existent and as he lives alone and is in his 80s his mobile is his lifeline. Could this be related, can anything be done?
Thanks
icon

Best answer by SR3 9 October 2019, 10:28

The smart meters do use a mobile phone signal to communicate although this shouldn't impact his own mobile. Best off speaking to the mobile phone provider
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
The smart meters do use a mobile phone signal to communicate although this shouldn't impact his own mobile. Best off speaking to the mobile phone provider
Will do. However we have moved the smart meter out into the utility, furthest point we could from Dad and the signal does seem to have improved.

At the moment, smart meters connect via existing mobile networks, which means people living in “not spots” may still temporarily need to give meter readings. ... The new national communications network will cover more than 99.25 percent you can read my blog

*Edited to remove external link to a blog

Userlevel 3
Badge

@DJW  oh, do you mean the In Home Display (IHD) and not the actual smart meter? The IHD will plug into a socket or use batteries. Trying the move the actual smart meter is extremely dangerous lol.

There may be a slight interference with a mobile signal but should be only slight.