Solved

How reliable are 2nd Generation Smart Meters?

• 23 December 2018
  • 4 replies

I had avoided installation of 1st gen smart meters for compatibility issues. Now OVO offering installation of 2nd generation meters which also acts as an export meter for my FIT for solar panels, I decided to have the smart meter installed in September. All seemed well, but after nearly 4 months, there is no benefit to be seen.

OVO are NOT able to get the smart readings for Electricity from the very first day. The Gas readings seem to be working. The display unit in the house only showed GAS data. After much chasing, OVO sent an engineer to investigate on 20th Dec. The smart meter was replaced with a new one. After 3 days there is still no data for electricity and I suspect the smart readings are not being read. Now, the GAS data is corrupt as my display unit inside suggests that I am consuming £80-£90 worth of gas EVERY DAY !!! We are only 2 person household. I have no idea what kinds of smart readings are being fed but it is an alarming situation.

There is no direct contact number to reach Smart meter team. Has anyone else experienced issues with the new 2nd generation smart meters fitted by OVO ?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 31 December 2018, 13:55

Hi @EagleI,

It sounds like you're looking at the In-Home Display (IHD) and with SMETS2 meters, we're currently having some issues with the information they're displaying. This is an issue with the 'firmware' on the device, and we're in the process of investigating. We should be ready to roll out a fix for this in mid to late January.

This won't affect what you're paying, nor does it mean we aren't in communication with the meters. You can take a manual reading to check your bills are correct by pressing the button A on either meter. The reading will be displayed on the first screen that appears, showing "TOU R1".

Hope this helps!
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @EagleI,

It sounds like you're looking at the In-Home Display (IHD) and with SMETS2 meters, we're currently having some issues with the information they're displaying. This is an issue with the 'firmware' on the device, and we're in the process of investigating. We should be ready to roll out a fix for this in mid to late January.

This won't affect what you're paying, nor does it mean we aren't in communication with the meters. You can take a manual reading to check your bills are correct by pressing the button A on either meter. The reading will be displayed on the first screen that appears, showing "TOU R1".

Hope this helps!
Hi Nancy,
If it is JUST the firmware issue with only the IHD, I will live with it for a few weeks. But my suspicion (strong) is that the smart readings are not being transmitted - at least the electric if not both. It will be evident in the next bill as you should now be collecting the smart reading for both. Lets wait and see as I would like to be proved wrong 😟
I will not get a smart meter installed my friends with ovo have to have there smart meters read because the meter fails to send a signal.
Userlevel 6
Badge
But my suspicion (strong) is that the smart readings are not being transmitted - at least the electric if not both. It will be evident in the next bill as you should now be collecting the smart reading for both. Lets wait and see as I would like to be proved wrong 😟

Hey @EagleI - did you check your readings from the meter against the readings used on your bills?