Solved

How do I take a manual reading on my smart meter?

• 17 January 2019
  • 36 replies

Hi, I have not had anyone round to check my smart meter readings for months and months. I’d like to check the meters match my bills? Is it possible to read them the old fashioned way to check?

icon

Best answer by PeterR1947 21 January 2019, 18:30

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 27/04/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Smart meters are not read routinely, there is no need. They are only inspected at least every two years.

You can check the most recent readings that your Smart meters sent to us on the ‘Meter Readings’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) - 

Exact appearance may vary

To check this against the reading shown on the meter itself follow the directions below to read your Smart meter manually

For SMETS1 ‘Secure’ smart meters:

There’s a slight difference between the the S1 meters we installed. To take a dual (day/night) reading for Secure Liberty 110 S1 smart meters (which are designed to work best with storage heaters), press 9 on the meter’s keypad. If you’ve got a Secure Liberty 100 S1 smart meter, press 6 to confirm the Day and Night meter readings (pressing 9 will show the reading if you’re a single rate member with this meter).

For SMETS2 Aclara, Flonidan, Honeywell or Elster smart meters:

Aclara (Elec) / Flonidan (Gas) Elster (Elec) / Honeywell (Gas)
Reading the meter
  • Elec: Press A three times until TOU Rate 1 appears.
  • Gas: Press C to wake up, then C to access the menu. Use B to scroll and C to select the reading option.
  • Elec: Press the top button once or twice
  • Gas: Press the circle button once or twice

Worried that your smart meter has lost communication? You can help diagnose this by following the smart meter health check for your meter type below, then reaching out to the Support team:

SMETS1 Secure Smart Meter Health Check guide

The SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Hello, How do I get Economy 7 meter readings for Day & Night on my IHD?
Thanks,
Ian
Userlevel 7
Hello, How do I get Economy 7 meter readings for Day & Night on my IHD?
Thanks,
Ian

Good question @IanCrawford

The way to view your Economy 7 readings is on the actual meter. Press 6 on the keypad, and you'll see both the Day (peak) and Night (off peak) readings.

Info here on what the IHD shows!
I need to take a electricity reading for today for an insurance claim. I cannot fathom how to do this. The smart Meyer is about 4 years old
Userlevel 6
Hey @Sherwoodahc, you'll find your answer above!
Amy

I have looked everywhere and cannot locate a 9 key. I have also been through the Pippet500 manual online and could find no reference to a 9 key.

Where is it?

Thanks

Andrew
Userlevel 5
Have you got a second generation (SMETS2) smart meter, @Sherwoodahc ?
No ... a Pippen500 with no no9 button on it
Userlevel 6
You're referring to your IHD, @Sherwoodahc, you can't take a reading on them, you need to go to the physical meter and follow the steps as mentioned by @PeterR1947 above.

Hope this helps!
HI, my fixed plan is ending soon. Ive been on uswitch and bulb is coming out a lot cheaper.... Ovo installed my smart meter and I understand if I changed to bulb I will have to start giving meter readings again soon. However when I look at my meter the screen is blank. I have a blue A button and a red B button... how do I view my reading?

Thanks

Tammy
I have just joined OVO from First Utility/Shell Energy who fitted me with a smart meter. I now am being asked to submit my opening meter readings but haven't a clue how. The meter in the garage has a blank screen and the display in house doesn't show anything other than current or historical usage. Can someone help? Thought the whole reason for these things was to make things easier and more accurate!!

Cheers
Userlevel 6
I've popped your post here, @Tammy, the best answer by, @PeterR1947, will put you in good stead.

If our rates are more favorable in the future, please keep us in mind!

😃
Userlevel 6
Welcome to the forum, @cityman2uk, we can communicate with the smart meter fitted by First Utility.

We still ask for opening meter readings to ensure that the validated readings are correct, more info here.

Check out @PeterR1947's best answer, this will help you take a reading!

☺️
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
HI, my fixed plan is ending soon. Ive been on uswitch and bulb is coming out a lot cheaper.... Ovo installed my smart meter and I understand if I changed to bulb I will have to start giving meter readings again soon. However when I look at my meter the screen is blank. I have a blue A button and a red B button... how do I view my reading?

Thanks

Tammy

Tammy, Press the red A button until you see the CREDIT ON screen, this should be followed by METER INDEX the next number you see will be your meter reading. Electricity reads will in kWh and gas reads will be in m3.
After 2 happy years with Ovo I have just switched to a different company as their rates were better than what Ovo could offer. Ovo fitted a smart meter to my electricity box in April 2018 (not the Gas for some reason but that's another story) but now I need to know how to disconnect the smart meter. Last night I opened up the meter box door in order to give my new supplier my first reading but the Electricity display is switched off.

Does anyone know whether this is normal? How can I correct the issue?
Userlevel 6
It's a shame to hear you're leaving, @oligopoly, I've moved your post here as the best answer by @PeterR1947, will give you all the info you need on how to obtain a reading.

If our rates are more favorable in the future, please keep us on mind!

Thanks!

I’ve just switched from OVO to EDF who apparently cannot read my Smart meter.  Looking at the actual gas and electricity main meters no numbers are showing.  Does anyone know what I need to do so I can actually get traditional meter readings? TIA

Userlevel 6

Please take a look at the best answer, @Hilary B!

Hope this helps! 

My new supplier need my final read how do I get this I’m no longer a customer with ovo 

Userlevel 6

Check out the best answer, @Reebee!

Hello out there!

I am moving to another supplier & have been asked for meter 

readings.

I can’t see how to read these meters.

Does anyone have “the knowledge” ?

David

https://help.so.energy/support/solutions/articles/7000023265-how-do-i-read-my-smart-meter-

Not sure what meter you have but this should help you.^^^ You'll want to give electric in kwh and gas the volume m3 reading.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@TyGwyn - we can provide better answers if we knew what type of meters you have. Either give us the manufacturer name and model number, or else post a photo here.

Thanks.

Thanks for your responses.

I have different meters for gas & electricity. Gas meter is labelled as “ Secure Liberty EG4v11. Type code G01153”

Electricity meter is “Secure Liberty 100 Type code E1SOB1”

I have also discovered from both suppliers that if the numbers “6” or “9” are pressed the meter gives up its secrets, in a string of info. The title of the field displays first followed by the value.

This is still a little confusing as I don’t have a previous figure to compare it with.

Gas meter is simpler as it only has one tariff & as Nik86 has told me the units are shown for each value

The Electricity meter a little more involved as it’s dual tariff, & I think I might have to go outside with a torch in the dead of night to read the night time values.

Any more help with this would be appreciated

TyGwyn

Userlevel 4

@TyGwyn @Nick86 @Transparent I’ve moved your conversation over here, as the info here is relevant.

If it’s a smart meter, have a look at the best answer:

Reading your electricity smart meter is easy, simply press the "9" key, the end of a pen or pencil is best for this. First off the display reads "IMP KWH" followed by a number for example "0001889.6" which is the number you need to be able to check your usage.

if you have solar panels, the next reading is useful "EXP KWH" is the total electricity exported to grid for example "0000272.4" then a load of other readings which you don'y need.

Reading the gas meter is similar, first it gives you the volume in cubic meters which is again what you need to check your usage, followed by the kWh and other details you don't need

There’s another topic on this here.