Solved

How do I read my smart meter?

• 4 March 2018
  • 9 replies

Hi, I moved away from ovo to Scottish power last year and had a major issue around meter readings. SP said ovo use first gen meters which don’t match to other suppliers so the usual ovo reading didn’t match anything with SP.

I’m now returning to ovo and I’m concerned that the same thing will happen only in reverse. Can someone please tell me which readings I need from the meters please. Also please don’t send me to the usual link on the ovo website as it doesn’t tell me anything about specific readings.

For info, for gas, SP want the volume cubic meters reading. I’m sure ovo prefer the imp kWh reading. Is this correct.

Many thanks.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 4 March 2018, 17:47

Hi @doc1971,

There's an already existing topic about this - https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-smart-products-33/how-do-i-take-a-reading-from-my-smart-meter-89.

Are we're discussing a manually-read meter or a Smart Meter?

If you are providing readings manually, then I can't see how there can be a compatibility problem.

OVO can take your readings in metric or imperial by volume, and also in KWh if that's what your meter displays. The relevant maths to convert your gas meter reading is actually sent to you as part of your OVO Bill.

If you want a more full explanation of how it's done, have a look at the Forum Thread GAS usage over 24 hour period!. where I worked out a day's usage for someone else last week.

I can appreciate that SP might acknowledge a compatibility issue with a Smart Meter.
OVO's meters are made by Secure, and are the same type used by E.on, First Utility and Utilita. However, the incompatibilities aren't due to the meter manufacturer, but rather the software command-set used to communicate with it under the SMETS1 protocol.

Let me know here if you want me to expand on the above.

**Updated 16/07/2019**

If you have a SMETS2 meter more info here.
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @doc1971,

There's an already existing topic about this - https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-smart-products-33/how-do-i-take-a-reading-from-my-smart-meter-89.

Are we're discussing a manually-read meter or a Smart Meter?

If you are providing readings manually, then I can't see how there can be a compatibility problem.

OVO can take your readings in metric or imperial by volume, and also in KWh if that's what your meter displays. The relevant maths to convert your gas meter reading is actually sent to you as part of your OVO Bill.

If you want a more full explanation of how it's done, have a look at the Forum Thread GAS usage over 24 hour period!. where I worked out a day's usage for someone else last week.

I can appreciate that SP might acknowledge a compatibility issue with a Smart Meter.
OVO's meters are made by Secure, and are the same type used by E.on, First Utility and Utilita. However, the incompatibilities aren't due to the meter manufacturer, but rather the software command-set used to communicate with it under the SMETS1 protocol.

Let me know here if you want me to expand on the above.

**Updated 16/07/2019**

If you have a SMETS2 meter more info here.
Hi OVO installed the smart meter a couple of years ago. Then I went to SP who couldn’t read it. I had to manually read and submit to them.
Now I’ve moved back to ovo they’ve asked for me to take the reading and submit it to them as my first reading.

I’d just like to make sure I submit the correct figures as I received a bill for £10k from SP last time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Ah... now I understand.

I don't know why OVO want you to take the initial reading manually, but there seems no harm in doing so.

You could always check that they are able to get readings automatically by emailing hello@ovoenergy.com and ask them to confirm that they are receiving your Meter Updates from DCC.

Getting stupidly high bills isn't really a problem. You could write to tell them that you disagree and then sit and wait for them to take you to court. It's highly unlikely the case would proceed because the legal department of your Energy Supplier would spot that there's something wrong and throw it back to Accounts to sort out!

It's actually more difficult if you get an incorrect bill which still seems plausible. But even that is highly unlikely if your Smart Meter is submitting readings automatically throughout the day!
Yeah, I’ll email them just to be sure.

As an inside, SP couldn’t understand why ovo installed SMETS1 when most have moved onto 2, which all companies can read...apparently.

Many thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
As far as I know, the only SMETS2 meters in the field are on highly-monitored test sites.

GCHQ have not yet approved the security of the SMETS2 protocols. There are two issues
  1. The possible hijacking of a meter and issuing of catastrophic commands
  2. The danger of writing software to permit software updates to be sent remotely

Whilst it is true that SMETS2 protocols have been agreed universally across all Energy Suppliers, that is really only a side issue to the features they allow to be introduced.

SMETS2 is the heart of a forthcoming strategy to implement Demand-Side Response. This allows variable tariff-rates to be offered in half-hour (HH) chunks, which is the same way that electricity generators feed into the Grid.

Customers will be able to issue instructions to their Suppliers via a home-terminal, a smart-phone or a web-browser. So instead of having a single off-peak (Economy-7) rate between midnight and 7am, a customer might, for example, be able to issue a instruction to charge an electric vehicle once the tariff falls to 9p/KWh. If it's blowing a gale and there's a glut of wind-turbine generation available, the EV can be charged immediately.

Equally, a customer with a fully-charged EV can give consent for their stored energy to be resold back to the Grid by their Supplier at a profit in order to cope with peak demands at their local substation. (Substations are to be equipped with OpenLV monitoring equipment).

Once SMETS2 meters are in place you will also see manufacturers offering the likes of smart-washing-machines and smart-freezers. These will have inbuilt ALCS (Auxiliary Load Control Switches) to permit them to be operated by your smart-meter when certain agreed parameters are met. Eg:
  • Turn on washing m/c if tariff less than 11p/KWh
  • Keep it running until it reports that the wash-cycle is complete even if the next HH tariff is higher
  • If no HH slot below 11p/KWh before 11am tomorrow, run the machine anyway

And now I hope you begin to understand why such amazing technology must be protected from cyber hijacking. No-one, not even Scottish Power, should be risking their customers' supplies by rolling out SMETS2 before GCHQ have validated the system.
I have been asked to provide meter readings but I have a smart meter. Why do I need to do this? How do I get my readings ?
i got smart meter but i cant give meter reading as the meters lcd display are blank
i cannot fine phone number for ovo

thanks
mike
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I have been asked to provide meter readings but I have a smart meter. Why do I need to do this? How do I get my readings ?

See above, @Clfawcett for how to read ya meter - we need opening meter readings from smart meter customers, but if we don't get them, an accurate estimate will be used instead!
Userlevel 1
With my smart meters, both electricity and gas, I press "9" on the key pad and the display comes alive and cycles through the various readings available.

I hope this helps.