Solved

How do I get access to the usage data from my Smart Meter?

• 15 May 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
A Smart Meter collects data every half hour and you can see the usage in the myOVO section of the website.

The graphs are pretty good and you can compare year against year and so on... but if like me you a bit of a geek it would be really handy to have access to your own raw half hourly data that you can download and play around with in Excel.

Non-domestic customers can request and get access to their raw half hourly data but I've not seen anything that relates to this for domestic customers.

Does anyone know how to get hold of the raw half hourly data that is generated by my smart meter?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 18 May 2017, 18:53

A Smart Meter collects data every half hour and you can see the usage in the myOVO section of the website.

The graphs are pretty good and you can compare year against year and so on... but if like me you a bit of a geek it would be really handy to have access to your own raw half hourly data that you can download and play around with in Excel.

Non-domestic customers can request and get access to their raw half hourly data but I've not seen anything that relates to this for domestic customers.

Does anyone know how to get hold of the raw half hourly data that is generated by my smart meter?

Hi @SaleNowOn - I agree with @Mattj3135 this is an interesting topic to get involved with!

At the moment, those smart meters send us (and only us) your meter readings, and we give you all the online tools to view it as you see fit. That said, we're collecting a list of customers that might want to be part of a trial that involves access to the raw data. The nuts and bolts of your usage! As @Darran_OVO mentioned, that other topic discusses the possibilities open to you in more detail, so check this out (and get involved) here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/smart-meter-live-usage-api-58.

If you're interested in being part of this trial, send me a PM with your OVO account number, name and DoB.

Thanks,
Tim

Updated on 12/07/2019
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @SaleNowOn welcome to the forum and thanks for raising such an interesting point.

You're right accessing raw data or information on doing so isn't easy to find so my suggestion is to reach out to the ovo customer care team and ask if this is possible to do, on the off chance it's not readily available - they can pass the feedback on to look into changing this.

Sorry not to be able to advise you further on this hopefully one of the other forum members can advise us failing that one of the lovely moderators will clarify for us.
Userlevel 1
I suspect the answer I am looking for is more complex than the response I will get from customer service. Which is why I am posing it on a forum rather than asking customer service.

A bit more digging into the question lead me here. https://www.smartenergygb.org/en

Apparently "Smart Energy GB is the voice of the smart meter rollout"

Hurrah ! maybe they know and indeed they have this answer to the following question.

Who can access my smart meter data and how is it used?

Only your supplier, and they won’t share any of it without your permission, for example, with relevant third parties.

The emphasis on "only your supplier" is mine, that suggests that only the suppler has access to the raw data, which also suggests the customer does not have access to their own usage data.... which is interesting......

I will ask Smart Energy GB and see what they have to say!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I suspect the answer I am looking for is more complex than the response I will get from customer service. Which is why I am posing it on a forum rather than asking customer service.

A bit more digging into the question lead me here. https://www.smartenergygb.org/en

Apparently "Smart Energy GB is the voice of the smart meter rollout"

Hurrah ! maybe they know and indeed they have this answer to the following question.

Who can access my smart meter data and how is it used?

Only your supplier, and they won’t share any of it without your permission, for example, with relevant third parties.

The emphasis on "only your supplier" is mine, that suggests that only the suppler has access to the raw data, which also suggests the customer does not have access to their own usage data.... which is interesting......

I will ask Smart Energy GB and see what they have to say!

Mmm I wonder - it's definitely a good topic you've raised an I look forward to hearing what you find out and OVO say on the matter
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @SaleNowOn Welcome to the forum!

You might find this topic useful. You're not the first to ask this type of question so we know it's something that customers are interested in.

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/smart-meter-live-usage-api-58

Darran
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @SaleNowOn - I agree with @Mattj3135 this is an interesting topic to get involved with!

At the moment, those smart meters send us (and only us) your meter readings, and we give you all the online tools to view it as you see fit. That said, we're collecting a list of customers that might want to be part of a trial that involves access to the raw data. The nuts and bolts of your usage! As @Darran_OVO mentioned, that other topic discusses the possibilities open to you in more detail, so check this out (and get involved) here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/smart-meter-live-usage-api-58.

If you're interested in being part of this trial, send me a PM with your OVO account number, name and DoB.

Thanks,
Tim

Updated on 12/07/2019