Solved

High water usage after smart meter installation - connected?

• 17 August 2017
  • 1 reply

I'm a single person with a very small garden living in a small one bedroom flat. I've just realised that since having a #smart #meter installed my water bill has rocketed. I've only just realised that I'm not paying quarterly but monthly - £78 a month, which is £936 a year. All this was estimated and now I've given a reading it's returned to what I would consider normal £250 a year but I still owe Southern Water money. I DO NOT HAVE A LEAK. How is this possible?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 20 August 2017, 16:53

I'm a single person with a very small garden living in a small one bedroom flat. I've just realised that since having a #smart #meter installed my water bill has rocketed. I've only just realised that I'm not paying quarterly but monthly - £78 a month, which is £936 a year. All this was estimated and now I've given a reading it's returned to what I would consider normal £250 a year but I still owe Southern Water money. I DO NOT HAVE A LEAK. How is this possible?

Thanks for posting this on the forum @Soozie

There shouldn't be any connection between that electricity (and possible gas) smart meter and your water usage. The things you need to check are those appliances that use both water and electricity (or gas). When the engineer fitted the meter, they would've turned the power off at the property. Just like after a power cut, some electrical appliances might need settings reset etc. Possibly an electricity and water appliance has been effected. That's the only thing I can think of really. Any other forum users out there any suggestions...... :?

Tim
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for posting this on the forum @Soozie

There shouldn't be any connection between that electricity (and possible gas) smart meter and your water usage. The things you need to check are those appliances that use both water and electricity (or gas). When the engineer fitted the meter, they would've turned the power off at the property. Just like after a power cut, some electrical appliances might need settings reset etc. Possibly an electricity and water appliance has been effected. That's the only thing I can think of really. Any other forum users out there any suggestions...... :?

Tim