FAQs for Smart

• 13 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Good morning superusers,

We hope this helps you all in answering forum users queries regarding smart meters, as we know its a hot topic right now! Please let us know if there's anything you feel we've missed out, as we really appreciate any feedback from you helpful bunch!

Why has someone come to read the meter when there are smart meters installed?

We send out meter readers to all our customers - even those who have smart meters installed. This is a regulation set out by Ofgem - and we need to do this at least once every two years (although we try to do it more often than this).

If no one’s at home when the engineer visits, they’ll simply reschedule this for when they’re next in the area.

Why have I had a meter reading reminder when I’ve just had a smart meter fitted?

Once someone has a smart meter installed, it can take up to 6-8 weeks for us to update all our systems with your new meter details. In that interim period, we may still send automated meter reading reminders, as the system that sends those reminders doesn't yet 'know' that you have a smart meter. If it’s been over 6 weeks, then feel free to ask us and we can double check your smart meters are communicating and the account is all up to date.

Why have you billed me to an estimate reading when I have smart meters?

Smart meters allow us to take meter readings remotely, so you should always be billed to accurate readings. If you’ve been billed to an estimate reading, it could be that you’ve opted in to have your readings taken monthly. We advise to have your readings taken once a day or every half hour, so there's less chance of the monthly reading being missed, and you’ll always have up-to-date bills.

Alternatively there could be a communication issue with your smart meters, so it may also be worth checking with the Customer Service team to see. We’ll just get you a quick survey to fill in; your answers will help us work out what’s causing the problem and how to sort it out.

I’ve booked in for a smart meter booking, how do I know if will be SMETS1 or SMETS2?

We're rolling out SMETS2 meters in some areas. When booking, it’ll show SMETS2 if you're eligible for one- if SMETS2 isn't visible, then it’ll be for a SMETS1. All our first generation smart meters will be remotely upgraded early next year. This means they'll work in exactly the same way as our second generation meters, without needing to exchange them! You can find more info here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/smets-1-and-2-new-smart-meter-generation.html

Why have I not had my monthly bill since I had my smart meter fitted?

When you have smart meter fitted, we’ll put you on a billing suspension whilst we update your account with the information regarding your new smart meters. (Don’t worry we’ll still collect the Direct Debit as usual to cover the cost). This usually takes 6-8 weeks from the installation date. Once your account has been updated, you’ll be sent an up to date bill.
As gas and electricity are separate industries, we’ll receive information about one of your supplies before the other. So you’ll probably get a seperate bill for electricity and gas. Once all updated, going forward, you’ll get your bill for gas and electricity together as usual.

I live in flat, can I still book in for a smart meter?

The issue with living in a flat is that communications might be impaired.
The smart electricity meter uses a network to "talk" to the smart gas meter and collect your gas readings. If the meters are are different levels- or more than 10 metres apart the gas meter may not be able to communicate.

If you’re not sure you can call our Customer Service team to check. As there are also other things to consider such as; how many walls/ floors are between your meters, if the electric meter is in a communal area, are the shut-off valves/isolation switches both accessible.

When I booked a smart meter I was offered £30 incentive, when will I get this?

We’re offering £15 credit per meter to selected OVO customers when they have a smart meter installed as a thank you for having one fitted. The £30 credit will be applied to your OVO energy account up to 30 days after completion of a successful installation.

Just to bear in mind, the £30 will be visible on your next bill which can take up to 6-8 to be produced after having a smart installation!

Can I still see my meter readings once I have a smart meter fitted?

Smart meters allow us to take meter readings remotely; either once a month, once a day, or every half hour – it’s up to you how often. If you still want to take a meter reading for your own record you can do.

On the electricity meter, press 9 on the keypad (for economy 7 press 6)
-Your smart meter screen will show a series of letters: IMP KWH.
-You’ll see 8 digits (e.g. 0001234.5) followed by kWh at the bottom right of the screen-
this figure is your reading.

On the gas meter, press 9 on the keypad.
-VOLUME will appear on your smart meter screen.
-You’ll see 6 digits (e.g. 00123.4) followed by an ‘m3’ symbol at the bottom right of the screen-this figure is your reading.

Can I switch supplier If I have a smart meter?

You can still switch with a smart meter. However, you may find once you’ve switched your smart meter loses its smart functionality and reverts to being a traditional meter.

If you’re switching away, or to OVO, just contact your new supplier to see if that use Secure smart meters like ours, then it should keep its functionality. If they don’t, then you can either ask to swap to their brand of Smart meter or keep your meter and submit meter readings manually.

5 replies

Userlevel 2

When I booked a smart meter I was offered £30 incentive, when will I get this?

We’re offering £15 credit per meter to selected OVO customers when they have a smart meter installed as a thank you for having one fitted. The £30 credit will be applied to your OVO energy account up to 30 days after completion of a successful installation.

Just to bear in mind, the £30 will be visible on your next bill which can take up to 6-8 to be produced after having a smart installation!

@ITGeek123 If anyone asks about the smart meter incentive there is more info about it here! ☺
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ah @Beth_OVO Thank you so much 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Beth_OVO

Thanks for the FAQ. I only just found it. Unfortunately us Ninjas don't get a notification when a new Topic arrives in the Whiteboard. The other Mods tend to alert us by simply tagging each Ninja in the initial post, like @Nancy_OVO did here.

In the section about living in flat, you didn't mention the free Zigbee repeater which is available to make the jump between the two meters and/or the IHD. I assume this operates the same for a SMETS2 installation, doesn't it?

And do the new SMETS2 meters use the same key-presses as the SMETS1 units manufactured by Secure which OVO installed?

I thought you'd changed the supplier for SMETS2, but I don't know how universal the function key assignments are.

Thanks,

Do smart meters record gas usage as well as electricity?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Both of your meters will record the exact usage. This will be displayed on your IHD and accessable through your online account