Solved

Do the smart meters allow you to see how much energy your appliances are using?

I have just had a smart meter fitted and wonder if you are able to view energy usage by specific appliance i.e. if I switch on the oven is there a way to make the system log the energy usage as an oven or cooking device, equally if I switch on the television log it as television etc. etc. I am sure I've seen this shown online somewhere but for the life of me I can't find any information now. Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 18 June 2018, 13:34

Very good question, @KNA

This information won't be available to you straight away, but it will be soon! It takes 5-6 months of computer learning after having the smart meters installed before you can see your usage breakdown. This will appear to the right of the usage graph on the 'Usage' section of your online account.

The information won't be in real time, but it'll show how much each appliance is using on a monthly basis.

Hope this helps!
Emma
View original

15 replies

Very good question, @KNA

This information won't be available to you straight away, but it will be soon! It takes 5-6 months of computer learning after having the smart meters installed before you can see your usage breakdown. This will appear to the right of the usage graph on the 'Usage' section of your online account.

The information won't be in real time, but it'll show how much each appliance is using on a monthly basis.

Hope this helps!
Emma
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@KNA mine took several months to appear and then when it did I clicked on the "edit energy profile" button and updated the details about my house. It then disappeared again only returning several months later.

Now it is all up and running it is found on the right hand side of the usage screen (website) or right at the bottom of the usage tab (Ovo app) below the usage graph.

When it appears it looks like this:

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for!
Is anyone getting any information regarding money spent in the usage windows. I see a dialog boxthat says OVO are going to do it but that has been months now. Are others as frustrated as I am?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @isparr - I've moved your post over here. Have a look at the screenshots @Mw2870 posted above - is this the section of the usage page you're referring to?
Yes, something with £'s on not just kwh
I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW PROJECTED COSTS FOR THE MONTH AND AMOUNT ALREADY USED IN £S. WHEN IS THIS HAPPENING PLEASE.
Check out the best answer at the top, @isparr - you'll be able to see this information 5-6 months after having smart meters.

Cheers,
Emma
That sounds like absolute bobbins. British gas who I have just left had actual money spent and projected from day one. I don't understand what they have to learn. Computers are cleverer than us.
I don't really need to know how much each appliance is using just am amount in money of what I use daily would be great.
I have looked at my energy usage as shown in the attachment above. Can someone please tell me what the 'electric heating' section covers? Some months I have an amount allotted to this section and for one month the value is £0. I don't have any electric heating items!

thank you, Debbie.
They don't seem to know what it can do or why it does what it does. I only want an idea in money how much I am using but that seems too difficult for them. Looking at moving back to my previous provider to be honest.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @debs55 - the way this cost chart is put together is by the smart meter picking up electrical impulses from the different devices in your home, and over time learning which is which and calculating how much energy each is using. I'm not an expert in the field, so can't explain it much better than that! Happy to find out if you're interested though. I'd imagine it's picked up something heating related - maybe a fan?

@isparr - The panel that shows these costs gives a monthly total of each appliance's usage. If you'd like a daily amount, the best way to calculate this would be by dividing the monthly figure by the number of days in the relevant month.

Nancy
Hello Nancy,

I'm afraid my question hasn't been answered. I wanted to know on the 'your energy breakdown' panel, what appliances the ELECTRIC HEATING covers. Most months there is a costing in my breakdown for this section but one month there isn't . I'm doubly interested to know what appliances this section covers as I don't have any electric heating.

Debbie
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@debs55 so the OVO help page on this feature lists the appliances for "Electric heating" as 'any form of electric heating you use in your home; radiant, convection, fan, storage, underfloor'. If you have none of these, it will be an appliance that effects your energy demand in a similar way. As Nancy mentioned, it's difficult for us to advise on what specifically.