Solved

Online account daily usage not updating - WAN light solid - does the meter not have signal with OVO?

I've had my smart meter for 30 months. I was not offered an IHD at the time but have been using My OVO to monitor usage online.
I prefer the option of the IHD so just I ordered and received one, but while trying to configure/connect the IHD the WAN light has stayed on solid - not all of the time but for about the last 4 out of 5 weeks. Customer services first told me it would need an engineer visit to fix. Within a few days of my first call things burst into life for a week or two but the WAN light is back on solid again for two weeks and counting.
On calling Customer Services again, I was told "the DCC network needs to be reset from time to time and until that happens I need to revert to manual readings". He said the next reset could be in up to 12 weeks. As far as I'm concerned this takes the smart out of "smart meter". I'm expected to do manual readings for the next 3 months !
Is there something wrong with my setup or do I just sit and suffer?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 9 April 2018, 12:36

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 26/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry to hear of the issues you’re having with your Smart meters. It sounds like there may be an intermittent issue with the signal between us and your meters (the WAN network) which is preventing us receiving your full usage data.

There are many things that could be affecting this signal. The best thing to do in this case is complete a Smart meter health check for your meter type below, there is a online form, once completed this will be sent directly to the right team:

SMETS1 Secure Smart Meter Health Check

SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check

Whilst it’s not ideal, it’s worth bearing in mind that the communication issue doesn’t affect the meter’s ability to clock your usage and you can still take a manual reading from the smart meter - if you need help working out how, check out this relevant topic. These readings can be easily submitted on your online account or the OVO app (available on Android or iOS)

Hope the signal issues are resolved, quickly for you and you can continue enjoying the benefits of your Smart meters. 

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Thanks Tim but I was told in a tele call that it's a meter problem (WAN light solid on and not transmitting meter readings to OVO) and I'm waiting for an engineer to make an appointment to check and fix it. The IHD is displaying actual usage OK.
Userlevel 1
My online account usage data has not updated on either the website or app for the last 2 days, no charges either. Anyone else having similar issues?

My IHD is recording correctly but daily meter readings not appearing in the usage of either gas or electricity.
Userlevel 5
Hi @Abreaders - I've moved your post over here, where you can find more info about this issue. Pop any further questions in the comments below 🙂

We recently had smart meters fitted and they have worked smoothly since the install (approximately 2-3 weeks ago).

Upon returning from work today I’m greeted with an IHD that states it can’t connect to the data, naturally I restart it and try again, still not success. So I then turn to the internet for support (who doesn’t these days?) to be told to check the WAN connection on the electricity meter. Low and behold, no connection. 

So, my question is this: why has it suddenly stopped working when it was connected fine previously and how can I fix it. 

Userlevel 6

Please check out @Tim_OVO’s best answer, @Adam.wheeler, there are several reasons why the WAN may drop out, but the best answer advises of what to do next. 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 1

Why does it take 2 days to update my usage online ,I check every day my gas still has not updated since the 19 th and my electricity the same ,how  am I supposed to keep an eye in what I’m using if it’s not keeping me up to date 

it’s very annoying when I can’t check my usage and costs for 2 days 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It sounds like you have flaky comms. Could you post photos of the meters?

Userlevel 1

It sounds like you have flaky comms. Could you post photos of the meters?

No I’m disabled and can’t reach them ,I’ve checked everything else it says smart meter taking readings ,it’s your end on the online bill it’s not updating fast enough 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I don’t work for OVO so I have no access to your account.

As you’re unable to access your meters, I’m afraid I probably can’t do much here with you. I’d recommend contacting OVO via https://help.ovoenergy.com during the week to get help with this.