Solved

Can you change a single rate smart meter to economy 7 after it's been fitted?

• 14 June 2017
  • 4 replies

Earlier this year I had a standard rate smart meter fitted. Since then I have bought a plug-in electric vehicle and I think it may be more economical to charge at 'Economy 7' overnight rate.

I have two questions......

1) Is it possible to retrospectively change a smart meter to dual rate mode?
2) If yes, what are the current costs for each rate?

Many thanks for your help.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 15 June 2017, 14:03

Earlier this year I had a standard rate smart meter fitted. Since then I have bought a plug-in electric vehicle and I think it may be more economical to charge at 'Economy 7' overnight rate.

Hi @scowan

We are able to change smart meters from a single rate, one reading set up to an economy 7, 2 rate set up, remotely, even after they're fitted. We'll need to do this at our end, please contact our team, you can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com.

As for the prices, you'll be able to go onto the economy 7 tariff that was available when you first signed up or renewed (whichever is more recent). For Simpler Energy customers, you'll just go onto the most recent prices.

Just to add, I've tweaked this topic title and added some tags, so anyone else with the same query knows what to do!

Tim

**Updated 16/07/2019**
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @scowan

We are able to change smart meters from a single rate, one reading set up to an economy 7, 2 rate set up, remotely, even after they're fitted. We'll need to do this at our end, please contact our team, you can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com.

As for the prices, you'll be able to go onto the economy 7 tariff that was available when you first signed up or renewed (whichever is more recent). For Simpler Energy customers, you'll just go onto the most recent prices.

Just to add, I've tweaked this topic title and added some tags, so anyone else with the same query knows what to do!

Tim

**Updated 16/07/2019**
Hi there.

I'm currently on Better Energy Fixed (all online) for a 12 month period using Economy 7.
I've recently switched to the new Smart Meter (which I love by the way) and was told I could contact OVO to switch it to a flat rate instead of Economy 7.
I've done the maths and, depending on what the flat rate is, we should save a bit of money each month.
Could someone advise me what flat rate I would be on and how I would go about switching from Economy 7?

Thank you in advance for your help. 😃
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
Don't make me pick up the phone and have to talk to someone.
😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi there.

I'm currently on Better Energy Fixed (all online) for a 12 month period using Economy 7.
I've recently switched to the new Smart Meter (which I love by the way) and was told I could contact OVO to switch it to a flat rate instead of Economy 7.
I've done the maths and, depending on what the flat rate is, we should save a bit of money each month.
Could someone advise me what flat rate I would be on and how I would go about switching from Economy 7?

Thank you in advance for your help. :D

Hi @JonG

Sorry that your query hasn't had a reply until now.

Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) about this. You'll be able to go on to the single rate prices that were available at the point at you fixed in. PM me your account number, name and DoB if you wanted me to sort this for you.

Tim