Solved

Can my smart meter be tested to make sure it is accurate and not over clocking?

• 3 October 2017
  • 5 replies

I've always been a little suspicious of my meter readings and changing to a smart meter has not altered that. There are just two of us living in a four bed house. We cook with electric and use gas for water/central heating. We also have Solar for water which reduces the bill substantially through the summer. However, our DD has always been between £150 and £178 per month, whereas most of our friends are paying sub £100. We've recently compared bills, usage and costs per KwH with friends who houses and lifestyles are comparable to ours and their DDs range from £60 - £80 pm. How can we be so far adrift?
I would like my meters checked to ensure that they are measuring correctly. Can this be arranged?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 12 October 2017, 15:15

I've always been a little suspicious of my meter readings and changing to a smart meter has not altered that. There are just two of us living in a four bed house. We cook with electric and use gas for water/central heating. We also have Solar for water which reduces the bill substantially through the summer. However, our DD has always been between £150 and £178 per month, whereas most of our friends are paying sub £100. We've recently compared bills, usage and costs per KwH with friends who houses and lifestyles are comparable to ours and their DDs range from £60 - £80 pm. How can we be so far adrift?
I would like my meters checked to ensure that they are measuring correctly. Can this be arranged?

Hey PeterCaulf,

There are a few things you can do to measure the accuracy of your smart meters before booking in for a Meter Accuracy Test (MAT). For more information, check out: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payg/traditional-payg/why-am-i-paying-more-than-i-expected-for-my-energy.html.

Hope this helps,
Lucy

Updated on 12/07/2019
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hey PeterCaulf,

There are a few things you can do to measure the accuracy of your smart meters before booking in for a Meter Accuracy Test (MAT). For more information, check out: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payg/traditional-payg/why-am-i-paying-more-than-i-expected-for-my-energy.html.

Hope this helps,
Lucy

Updated on 12/07/2019
Hi Lucy. Can you tell me how I can do a creep test on my smart meter, as is has no display to monitor. |The remote device I was given is now in a cupboard because it is pretty much useless and just gives me an estimate of my current spend. It doesn't even zero at the end of the month so I can monitor my spending in "real time." It also shows the tariff as Fixed, when in fact it was changed some time ago.

I would do a test, but dont see how I can.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
If it's an OVO smart meter you just press '9' on the keypad - the reading in the first number displayed.

Electric says a 7 digit number and kWh, gas says volume and a 5 digit number.

Take the read when you Know nothing's on. and I mean you Know that NOTHING is on. Wait as long as you can, then take the read again. If it clocked usage then it's "Creeping" forward. Don't forget the fridge, but also don't open the door while power is off, and it won't lose temperature for up to a day...

I guess this works just as well for gas and electric Both? perhaps a Mod knows more...

BUT if they're Not OVO smart meters then their problee not sending reads and your bills are just being over-estimated... do your bills say "reading" or "estimated reading"?
Since receiving my new smart meter, my usage has been consistently 10% higher than with both the previous smart meter and the conventional meter before that. We have the same electrical devices, same number of people in the house and same usage pattern as before. The only change I have been able to identify is a fridge/freezer turned up slightly for summer. Lower lighting and heater use in summer has more than compensated for this in the past.

I have just performed a meter test using a 2Kw heater, with ALL electrical devices except the electricity meter and the heater disconnected. This showed the meter to be over-reading by 4% on a 2Kw load. As the heater load rating is a maximum permissible figure, this suggests a minimum over-read by the meter of at least 4%.

How can I go about getting a new, calibrated smart meter?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @WorthATry,

It’s very unusual for meters to clock too fast. In fact, over 80% of supposedly faulty meters that are tested are found to be clocking absolutely accurately. It sounds like have performed a creep test already, based on your results, I think it's best if our team check this out for you.

Please contact our team on Facebook, they'll be able to look into this for you today.

Thanks!