Solved

Can my smart meter be set up with Economy 10?

• 19 May 2017
  • 7 replies

I had a smart meter fitted this morning but am now worried it wont know my cheap rate times 1-4pm 8-10pm and 12-5 am....Which of course will cost me money as at present it should be on cheap rate but is on peak rate....Is a smart meter not usable with economy 10 ?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 22 May 2017, 15:54

I had a smart meter fitted this morning but am now worried it wont know my cheap rate times 1-4pm 8-10pm and 12-5 am....Which of course will cost me money as at present it should be on cheap rate but is on peak rate....Is a smart meter not usable with economy 10 ?

Hi @edwarren37

Good question - I've tweaked the title so that other Eco 10 users are kept in the loop.

It's good to hear you found the answer, but it's also a shame it wasn't the one you were hoping for. Smart meters can only be set up as a single rate meter, or an Economy 7 set up with 7 hours of off peak usage during the night. The exact times of this do vary per region, and @Mattj3135 shared a link which lets you find out when your meter changes. I'm sorry that you weren't aware that smart meters can't mimic your old meter's Economy 10 set up. If getting this old meter put back in is what you want, this can be arranged. As this would usually come at a cost, most users would simply change their electricity usage habits to fit with those cheaper 7 hours during the night.

Tim
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @edwarren37 welcome to the forum and worry not we can help you here,

Firstly there is a similar theme going in another forum topic which you can check out here, https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/so-your-economy-7-meter-gives-you-off-peak-cheap-electricity-but-when-it-cheapest-42

My advice would be to reach out to ovo either online or by phone (if online please include in your private message your full name, address including post code, ovo account number, date of birth and that you'd like to know the peak and off peak times of your new meter, you may need the serial number off the meter handy) as smart meters aren't compatible with the economy 10 tariff

Hope the above helps
Thanks. Yes I called and was told Smart Meters arent compatible with Eco 10. only Eco 7. Now having an Eco 10 meter re-installed on 5th June. Thanks for your prompt reply.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Thanks. Yes I called and was told Smart Meters arent compatible with Eco 10. only Eco 7. Now having an Eco 10 meter re-installed on 5th June. Thanks for your prompt reply.

@edwarren37 no worries at all glad you sorted it so quickly.

I hope your meter installation goes well on 5th June.

Please do feel free to check out some of the other topics on the forum and have a lovely weekend
The shortest Smart meter fitting in history
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @edwarren37

Good question - I've tweaked the title so that other Eco 10 users are kept in the loop.

It's good to hear you found the answer, but it's also a shame it wasn't the one you were hoping for. Smart meters can only be set up as a single rate meter, or an Economy 7 set up with 7 hours of off peak usage during the night. The exact times of this do vary per region, and @Mattj3135 shared a link which lets you find out when your meter changes. I'm sorry that you weren't aware that smart meters can't mimic your old meter's Economy 10 set up. If getting this old meter put back in is what you want, this can be arranged. As this would usually come at a cost, most users would simply change their electricity usage habits to fit with those cheaper 7 hours during the night.

Tim
I live in an apartment block with 27 apartments all built in 2007 and with Economy 10 meters.

So, the bottom line is Smart meters are not so smart as they cannot be used Properly on Economy 10.

Is that correct?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @GEMinStur. Customers with Economy 10 meters can still have smart meters installed. It just means that these meters would lose the Economy 10 hours and function on the Economy 7 times.

As the booking process is a bit more complicated for Economy 7/Economy 10 meters, we ask our customers to give us a call to get this booked in.

Lucy