Solved

Can I switch supplier if I have a smart meter installed by OVO?

• 4 January 2019
  • 2 replies

If I install a smart meter (which I've resiste so far), if I were to switch supplier, would I be able to retain the meter? I'm aware that this has caused problems in the past and is one of the reasons why I haven't installed.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 6 January 2019, 12:02

Hi @Patsy8 ... in short, Yes you can move to another Energy Supplier.

What you've been hearing about is the incompatiblity of the software commands between Suppliers. The physical meter isn't the problem.

At some stage in the next few months, all existing Smart Meters will be upgraded to the newer SMETS2 standard. This allows any Supplier to receive readings from your meter.

Whether you want to have a Smart Meter installed immediately, or wait until you are sure this will operate the SMETS2 protocols, is up to you.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Patsy8 ... in short, Yes you can move to another Energy Supplier.

What you've been hearing about is the incompatiblity of the software commands between Suppliers. The physical meter isn't the problem.

At some stage in the next few months, all existing Smart Meters will be upgraded to the newer SMETS2 standard. This allows any Supplier to receive readings from your meter.

Whether you want to have a Smart Meter installed immediately, or wait until you are sure this will operate the SMETS2 protocols, is up to you.
Although I realise that I wasn't very clear, this is exactly the information I needed. Many thanks.