Solved

Why has my usage data from my smart meter not updated on my online account for two days?

• 17 February 2018
  • 93 replies

I check my usage every day - especially as my daughter has started to use the oil heater in her bedroom. However, I have had no usage statistics for Gas or Electric since 14/02. Does anyone know why this might be?
icon

Best answer by Jjon 17 February 2018, 12:13

View original

93 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi strawberrisc

I came here to ask the identical question as mine hasn't updated since the 14 either. We are birds of a feather, as I too check every day (online portal) and it's rare for it not to be updated for more than a day. In fact, I don't think it has ever happened before.

Ovo, any thoughts?
Userlevel 1
Same here. Currently on phone waiting to talk to ovo
Userlevel 1

Updated on 18/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Sorry to hear about the lack of usage data you’ve noticed on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS). This is usually caused by a temporary communication issue with your meters which could result in the following effects on these usage pages.

Half Hourly usage data missing (daily chart)

This section (which isn’t used in any of your billing or charges) is vulnerable to communication drop outs if something happens to prevent the meter sending your reading for that half hour period. For any missed half hourly periods, the usage will be averaged out once comms has been restored. This shows as a number of bars being the same size. 

Daily usage data missing (monthly chart)

This section can also see communication drop outs, even if there’s half hourly data available that day. It needs a reading at around midnight to be able to populate that day’s usage. If you’re seeing missing usage on either meter for that day, see if any of the half hourly bars are missing for the end of the day. Communication is usually restored by itself, and any missed daily periods will be averaged out when this happens. This shows as a number of bars being the same size. 

If the useful usage data hasn’t returned in a few days it might be worth completing a smart meter health check for your meter type below and contacting our Support Team with the results, 

Aclara S2 smart meter health check  

Secure S1 smart meter health check

Don’t forget you can also keep an eye on your usage info by using your In Home Display.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 4
Thanks for that, Jjon.

It's always more comforting knowing it's "not just you". 🙂
Userlevel 2
Just noticed I am effected too. Last update 14 February.
Userlevel 1
interesting, i had a decorator in on the 14th and the meter is in a wooden box and he filled in the edges of the box with filler so it would be neat and flush, I always check daily online and the last reading was the 14th, the WAN light is flashing as normal and the in house display is reading ok so i obviously thought that somehow filling the edges of the box had blocked the signal, i hope it is at OVO technical and not us needing an antenna. I have emailed and left a message on facebook with no reply.
Why dont OVO put a notice on the readings page to let everyone know as that would make sense?
Same here, nothing since Wednesday Feb 14th . I also like to see what i have been using. Hurry up and fix this 😠
Userlevel 4
interesting, i had a decorator in on the 14th and the meter is in a wooden box and he filled in the edges of the box with filler so it would be neat and flush, I always check daily online and the last reading was the 14th, the WAN light is flashing as normal and the in house display is reading ok so i obviously thought that somehow filling the edges of the box had blocked the signal, i hope it is at OVO technical and not us needing an antenna. I have emailed and left a message on facebook with no reply.
Why dont OVO put a notice on the readings page to let everyone know as that would make sense?

You can rest easy, g4jnw, your decorator hasn't affected anything. You'd need to encase a meter in a metal box to disrupt signals.

Pretty surprising and disappointing for such a techie and outward facing company that Ovo haven't posted something on our accounts' page about this. (I don't do the social media and shouldn't have to trawl it trying to find information anyway.) It's been 5 days now. Frankly there is no excuse.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for that Rooty, i did post on facebook and received a response today "Yes I can see My OVO only populates up until the 14th. We seem to have OK communication with the meter, so I don’t think that paint job’s the cause of the issue here.

I’m passing this to our Tech team so they can rule out an issue with My OVO. Bear with us whilst this is looked into. " I noticed this morning that it wasn't back up either.

I hope its fixed soon, if it wasn't for here and facebook i would have been blaming the decorator and asking OVO for an antenna. I have yet to receive an answer from OVO on email to explain what had happened and when the fix is likely to be done.

Yes a fault explanation area on the website would be good, similar to internet service providers pages.
Userlevel 4
Thanks, g4jnw.

My Usage page seems to be slowly catching up! Electricity moved to the 15th earlier and, when I just checked, Electricity is up to the 18th, and Gas the 17th at the time of writing. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Mine is now up to date
Have had the same issues,slowly catching up but still unable to get a daily breakdown,have contacted OVO and they are aware of the problem,was given a pipit 500 hid which is out of the arc,tend not to bother with it as it’s so hard to understand
Being new to OVO I gather that the smart meters don’t reset after the last bill
Userlevel 4
Mine is now up to date

Mine too.
Userlevel 4
Being new to OVO I gather that the smart meters don’t reset after the last bill

Hi Davemufc49

Not sure what you mean by "reset". You mean the meter(s) showing 00000 (zero) at the start of a new month?

They don't. Just like the old analogue meters, they start at zero on day one and count upwards for ever.

The Pipit 500 is {censored} and I returned mine to Ovo. There was talk of an improved in home display, but Ovo have gone quiet on that, unless I've missed it somewhere.
Userlevel 1
Mines sorted now.
Userlevel 2
My usage by day on the app stopped 2 days ago.
Just shows “there is no data for this period” since then :-(

The ‘live usage’ works though !

Display unit is working fine too
Userlevel 5
Hey @nicka88,

This sounds like it could be the same issue - have you noticed any change yet?

If not, get in touch with us on Facebook or Twitter so we can let our Tech team know.

Thanks,
Nancy
Userlevel 2
Hi Nancy
No - still the same
Userlevel 5
Hi Nancy
No - still the same

Ah that’s frustrating. I hope the Social Team are able to get to the bottom of this for you.

Lucy
Userlevel 5
I have weekly figures (although the latest don't look right), but my daily graph has not been working since 19th Feb, which is annoying as I've been taking a screenshot of daily gas usage every day since mid January to monitor house fabric performance, and it would be particularly useful during this cold weather. As others have said, why is there no explanation? If it's because they're implementing changes to provide download or API functionality, I would be reasonable understanding, because I've been waiting sooooooo long for this.
Userlevel 2
My day view still doesn’t work. Facebook team were no help. Just said can’t give a time frame to fix and “bear with us” !
Userlevel 2
anyone else's Day View actually working again yet ?
Userlevel 5
Have just checked and as of 16:53 today, yes it is. But nothing for previous days:(
Userlevel 4
No updates on the website Usage stats for 2 days now (since 19th)....