Solved

Why do I have restricted off peak hours?

5.5 hours of off peak power Not the the 7 hours that Economy7 requires.
For the last six nights and for a week last month my off peak period has been shortened. My system is controlled by the Teleswitch Radio system, I do not have a smart meter and do not want one. I contacted UK power networks last night who told me to report it to OVO energy for a relevant bill correction and for OVO to then contact them about this issue
The OP hours for my area should be 22.30 to 00.30 - 02.30 to 07.30. But have been 00.00 to 00.30 - 02.30 to 07.30 this has affected my heating and my bills, And obviously the many others that are on this system.
Will someone from OVO please help.
icon

Best answer by TerryE 27 March 2019, 23:17

This one is complicated. You should see the following Youtube video for a b/g on the Energy supply chain: Electricity Bill - Who you pay and what you pay for?, and also browse some of the other videos by this author if you are interested. So the supply chain hub from a customer PoV is the Retail energy supplier (OVO in this case) who maintains the business-consumer interface with the end consumers , and then buys that energy (or more accurately power for a time varying profile at a time varying spot price and also pays the DNOs and TNO for transmission and distribution to the consumers tail.

AFAIK, the actual contractual relationship for Teleswitch Radio is with the DNOs. and this setup all predates the current electricity market structure set up completed in the early 2000s. This is why the use of TR and its operating modes vary by DNO rather than RES. Even so your contract is with OVO to supply dual rate electricity with 7 hrs a day at the cheap rate, and as I read the OVO T&Cs, this is their problem that their subcontractor is failing in this obligation. OVOs markup is there to cover the management of this complexity and hide it from the consumer.

I therefore suggest that that you do have an arguable case for a fair rebate for additional costs incurred for this failure. However given that the current average daytime temperature is now in the low 10s °C and we are already well into the spring warm up, I think that OVO could validly argue that any system sized to provide peak heating in Dec/Jan on 7 hrs a night will provide perfectly adequate heat for Mar / Apr on 5½ hrs, so this is more of an annoyance than having a material addition cost or capability to heat your home during a fairly mild spring..
View original

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @markchatham,

This is a really bizarre situation. I don't know what would have caused your Eco7 hours to change in this way.

Two rate meters controlled by Teleswitch normally get changed when the clocks go forward/back. In Spring, this would shift the hours forward by 1, and then in Autumn they'd go back to the normal times.

I'd advise getting in touch with the team on 0330 303 5063 so they can investigate.

Can I ask how you discovered they'd changed?

Cheers
Hello Nancy, I no the times because my teleswitch clunks loudly and the storage heater sockets have red LEDs on when powered. Also I'm cold at midnight.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @markchatham,

You'd need to complete a Load Test to check when the off-peak rate is turned on. You can find instructions on how to complete this here. I'd advise taking the readings at 7am and 11pm, to see which rate is clocking at this time.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers
Hello and thank you for your response, As previously stated My system is the radio teleswitch this is controlled by a radio signal. The times for the South East area are 22.30 to 00.30 and 02.30 to 07.30, This alters by one hour in summer time.
Please understand that I am not mistaken I have been at this address for 20 years and the current off peak hours are being cut regularly. My concern is that hundreds of thousands of people are unknowingly being affected by this.
I have now fitted a timer and started to log shortages. If OVO or UK power networks or Ofgem are interested then I will have something to forward.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @markchatham,

If you've got a traditional (non smart) meter, then the off-peak times are pre-programmed within the meter and wouldn't be altered. If you've got a smart meter, the times are set to 12am to 7am.

We've got no authority to change your Eco7 times, and wouldn't attempt to do so either.

@PeterR1947 @TerryE - have either of you heard of this happening before?

Cheers
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
@Nancy_OVO @markchatham As I understand it, there isn't a fixed time for E7 when a radio teleswitch is used. I think that they provide the E7 rate for a total of seven hours between the hours 11:30pm and 08:30 am. This is so they can load shed should there be a high load (unlikely?) between these hours. I'm not sure however that seven hours is guaranteed although I think it is.

Peter
Hello Peter, you are correct, generally my switch times are as I listed. The old SeeBoard south east area. My issue is the hours are being cut to 5.5 hours. And should be 7. Yes I'm guessing there is a loading issue but the cut hours could be made up later. I hope it not just a money maker.
I have kept a nerdy log for anyone interested, here it is;
Tues 4/2/19 off peak 00.00 to 00.30 ...0230 to 7.30
Wed 5/2. 00.00 to 00.30. 0230 to 7.30
Thurs 6/2 same
Fri 7/2 same
Sub total 6 hours short.

Thurs 14/3. Off peak 00.00 to 00.30 02.30 to 07.30.
Fri 15th same as above.
Sat 16th same as above
Sun 17 same
Mon 18 same
Sub Total 7.5 hours short.

Thurs 21. 22.30-22.50. 00.00-00.30. 0230-0730
Fri 22nd. 0000-0030. 0230-0730.
Sat 23. As above
Sun 24. As above.
Sub Total 5 hours and 40 mins short.

Thirteen days ,19 hours 10 mins short off peak hours.
Userlevel 2
This one is complicated. You should see the following Youtube video for a b/g on the Energy supply chain: Electricity Bill - Who you pay and what you pay for?, and also browse some of the other videos by this author if you are interested. So the supply chain hub from a customer PoV is the Retail energy supplier (OVO in this case) who maintains the business-consumer interface with the end consumers , and then buys that energy (or more accurately power for a time varying profile at a time varying spot price and also pays the DNOs and TNO for transmission and distribution to the consumers tail.

AFAIK, the actual contractual relationship for Teleswitch Radio is with the DNOs. and this setup all predates the current electricity market structure set up completed in the early 2000s. This is why the use of TR and its operating modes vary by DNO rather than RES. Even so your contract is with OVO to supply dual rate electricity with 7 hrs a day at the cheap rate, and as I read the OVO T&Cs, this is their problem that their subcontractor is failing in this obligation. OVOs markup is there to cover the management of this complexity and hide it from the consumer.

I therefore suggest that that you do have an arguable case for a fair rebate for additional costs incurred for this failure. However given that the current average daytime temperature is now in the low 10s °C and we are already well into the spring warm up, I think that OVO could validly argue that any system sized to provide peak heating in Dec/Jan on 7 hrs a night will provide perfectly adequate heat for Mar / Apr on 5½ hrs, so this is more of an annoyance than having a material addition cost or capability to heat your home during a fairly mild spring..
Thanks Terrye, you understand what I'm asking, and the teleswitch system. I did originally bring this up with UK power networks who advised me that it was for OVO to escalate it to them, But no one at Ovo seemed to understand my system and had decided I didn't no what I was talking about.
I think our energy system is to complicated and it seems possibly unaccountable . again I am grateful for your intelligent and full reply, I will check out the links.
All the best Mark.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Have you managed to get this sorted @markchatham?

If not, I'd recommend getting in touch with us via hello@ovoenergy.com

Cheers
Thanks for asking, Everything has been working correctly. Seven hours off peak again.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Glad to hear that, @markchatham 🙂
I have just noticed that I have the exact same problem on a radio switch system.
I am not at all happy that I have been paying more than I should as I set up all my big users (washing machine/dishwasher etc) to go on when I thought I was getting cheaper electricity.

To whom do I make a complaint and how do I go about claiming some financial compensation for this overcharge?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Welcome to the forum @Grumpypurple, this is something our team will need to look into for you.

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 30 5063.

Hope this helps!
I have now had 4 different answers from OVO about when my off peak hours are and spent 2 hours on the phone.
I fail to understand how OVO doesnt know what I should be getting. Ended up speaking to the meter team who couldn't explain why I am getting different times than they think I should be.
Their method of diagnosis of what times I get off peak is to take readings at 9 pm and 9 am which will tell them absolutely nothing other than I am getting some off peak overnight but not when it changes rate.
Their only thought is that my radio switch is defective and needs to be replaced, despite the fact that it reliably flips every night and morning at exactly the same times, even though these are not the times that OVO believes they should be.
I am very tempted just to work out what my times are and stick with them and give up trying to get an answer from OVO.
Userlevel 5
Badge
This does sound like it's been a bother, @Grumpypurple.

It sounds like the metering team have asked you to perform a load test, this can help determine the off peak and on peak times of the meter, but I appreciate this wont determine the time of the change. In any case our team are going to be the best place to get advise.

I'm sorry I can't be of any further help.