Solved

Storage heaters replaced - why does new heating only work during my off peak Night rate?

• 20 February 2019
  • 1 reply

My flat use to have storage heaters which have been replaced with electric panel heaters. But the power points only work late at night which is no good to me. Does it need a new meter?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 25 February 2019, 14:33

My flat use to have storage heaters which have been replaced with electric panel heaters. But the power points only work late at night which is no good to me. Does it need a new meter?

Great question, but the answer is a bit complex @Chrisb26

It sounds like your economy 7 meter has a '5th port', which used to connect to your storage heaters. These heaters would only turn on during the off peak times.

If the meter set up hasn't changed, the new heating would have the same limitation of only turning on at off peak.

Your suggestion is a valid one, we could fit a smart meter and adjust how it's wired up, so that any electrical appliance can turn on whenever. The smart meter can still be in economy 7, or not.

Book this in here!
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Great question, but the answer is a bit complex @Chrisb26

It sounds like your economy 7 meter has a '5th port', which used to connect to your storage heaters. These heaters would only turn on during the off peak times.

If the meter set up hasn't changed, the new heating would have the same limitation of only turning on at off peak.

Your suggestion is a valid one, we could fit a smart meter and adjust how it's wired up, so that any electrical appliance can turn on whenever. The smart meter can still be in economy 7, or not.

Book this in here!