Solved

Meter reader man misread my Economy 7 readings - can you help?

• 14 June 2017
  • 3 replies

At the start of the month, a man came round to read my electricity and gas meter. When I inputted my own readings today, I noticed that he had inputted the economy 7 readings the wrong way round. I thus apparently used 25060W of nighttime energy and -25000W of daytime energy. I took readings today, and have thus inputted correct readings after the incorrect ones. Is this going to be an issue when it comes to calculating my bill, and if so who should I contact about it? I am currently on the online only discount, so I have a preference for a digital only solution if possible.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 15 June 2017, 14:51

At the start of the month, a man came round to read my electricity and gas meter. When I inputted my own readings today, I noticed that he had inputted the economy 7 readings the wrong way round. I thus apparently used 25060W of nighttime energy and -25000W of daytime energy. I took readings today, and have thus inputted correct readings after the incorrect ones. Is this going to be an issue when it comes to calculating my bill, and if so who should I contact about it? I am currently on the online only discount, so I have a preference for a digital only solution if possible.

Hi @jamac41

I'm sorry to hear about this issue.

I can help get this reading deleted for you, and bill your account again. It's worth making sure it was the engineer that made the mistake first though. Sometimes things can be round the wrong way for a long time without anyone noticing. Often the changes are superficial, but it's important to get this right.

So that I can check, I'll need your account number, name and DoB via a PM. I'll message you in a sec to get this.

Thanks,
Tim
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @jamac41

I'm sorry to hear about this issue.

I can help get this reading deleted for you, and bill your account again. It's worth making sure it was the engineer that made the mistake first though. Sometimes things can be round the wrong way for a long time without anyone noticing. Often the changes are superficial, but it's important to get this right.

So that I can check, I'll need your account number, name and DoB via a PM. I'll message you in a sec to get this.

Thanks,
Tim
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey Jamac

It's not always obvious which register is which on an e7 meter...
Some have L and N,
people often assume N is Night, but in fact N is Normal, and L is Low Rate
Some have an obliging little Sun and Moon
Some just have r1 and r2, or even r1 and r4. Not help atall...

You can do your own "Load Test" very easily tho...

Choose a period when you know only one register clocks
e.g on a standard e7 meter the Day register is 0700 - 0000
Take Both reads at around 9am and write them down.
Include the Red numbers/Decimal points if your meter has them
Then take them again at say 9pm...

e.g :

9am r1 12345.67
9am r2 98765.43

9pm r1 12345.67
9pm r2 98789.o1

R2 has clocked in daytime hours, r2 is the Day register.

As Tim pointed out, it Can happen that the registers have been the wrong way round for Aages, and the meterman recorded them correctly.

(No offence to you or your meter reading skills is intended, but it can happen, especially if your registers are ambiguously labelled).

Get the Load Test data to OVO and they'll make sure your registers are marked up correctly on their database, and therefore on your account. Having them the wrong way around can work out to be quite expensive....

Hey Jamac

It's not always obvious which register is which on an e7 meter...
Some have L and N,
people often assume N is Night, but in fact N is Normal, and L is Low Rate
Some have an obliging little Sun and Moon
Some just have r1 and r2, or even r1 and r4. Not help atall...

You can do your own "Load Test" very easily tho...

Choose a period when you know only one register clocks
e.g on a standard e7 meter the Day register is 0700 - 0000
Take Both reads at around 9am and write them down.
Include the Red numbers/Decimal points if your meter has them
Then take them again at say 9pm...

e.g :

9am r1 12345.67
9am r2 98765.43

9pm r1 12345.67
9pm r2 98789.o1

R2 has clocked in daytime hours, r2 is the Day register.

As Tim pointed out, it Can happen that the registers have been the wrong way round for Aages, and the meterman recorded them correctly.

(No offence to you or your meter reading skills is intended, but it can happen, especially if your registers are ambiguously labelled).

Get the Load Test data to OVO and they'll make sure your registers are marked up correctly on their database, and therefore on your account. Having them the wrong way around can work out to be quite expensive....

The rate test sounds like a good idea - I'm reasonably confidant that I have things the right way round as what I think is the nighttime reading has been going up at about 20% of the other reading since I moved in, but this should give a definite answer.