Solved

Is it possible to switch to Economy 7 and what are the tariffs?

• 6 May 2019
  • 7 replies

Good morning

in an attempt to reduce the CO emissions of my home, I am considering replacing my 12 year old oil boiler which I only use to heat hot water with a direct unvented hot water store powered by immersion heaters (x2 @ 3kws).
I am choosing a direct tank because I have no other heat source and, at least in the short term, I do not anticipate there being one.

In so doing my electricity usage would increase, so in an attempt to mitigate some of the price difference between heating water with electric as opposed to oil, I wonder if, as an existing OVO customer is it possible to switch from a Two Year Fixed Energy Plan, single rate, which ends 14/11/19 to a dual tariff Economy 7?

At present my property is served by single tariff meter. I presume that If it is possible to switch tariffs this would require a meter change to enable the dual rate. Would this be undertaken by OVO, and if so what would be the timescale and price?

Please would you direct me to where I can find the rates on the Economy 7 Tariff for Devon?

Thank you

Kind regards

Eclectic
icon

Best answer by Ed_OVO 6 May 2019, 16:03

Hi @Eclectic,

It's worth doing some calculations on your general usage, as the Economy 7 day time rate is usually a little higher than the single rate, meaning that some customers don't benefit at all from having Economy 7 installed. We often say if roughly 30% or more of your electricity usage is at night, then it would be worth getting Economy 7.

There's lots of information on Economy 7 and what to expect here.

You're quite right, you would need to have a new meter installed to benefit from Economy 7. You can choose a standard meter, however this would come at a charge of £106 (£325 if you have a three phase supply). Alternatively, you could get a smart meter installed free of charge, and then we can remotely change it to Economy 7. You could book this in here.

Finally, yo find out your rates for Economy 7, you'd need to have a look on the quote system here and choose the Economy 7 option when you come across it.

Thanks,
Ed
View original

7 replies

Thank you for letting me know and thank you, especially, for your time and service.

Kind regards

Eclectic
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @Eclectic - you wouldn't lose your discount for ringing to find this out 🙂
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I had wanted to avoid ringing to avoid the penalty I will incur for breaching the online account only ‘self service’ rules. Sometimes, thus it would seem it is not possible to doing everything OVO related online and benefit from the reward.

Thank you

Kind regards
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Eclectic,

You'll likely need to ring the team on 0330 303 5063 to get the Eco7 rates. If your account's been set up as single rate, you'll only be able to view single rates online when renewing.

Cheers,
Nancy
Good morning

Please would someone tell me where I can find the economy 7 tariff rates for the South West.

I am an existing OVO customer and if I do as suggested and click through to obtain a quote I am not given an option to change the meter type. Thus the only quote I can obtain is for a single tariff on a standard meter.

I really would find the OVO economy 7 tariff information useful to cost a possible renovation project.

Thank you

Kind regards
Thank you for your reply.

That all makes sense, but for part about the economy 7 tariff.

If I go on to the linked page to obtain a quote it preselects my address and tells me I have a standard meter, paying monthly. It then gives me no choice about economy 7 or indeed being able to change the meter type.
If I continue clicking through I still do not find any economy 7 option and I do not want to change my plan at present. So where is the info, please?

Thank you

Kind regards

Eclectic.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi @Eclectic,

It's worth doing some calculations on your general usage, as the Economy 7 day time rate is usually a little higher than the single rate, meaning that some customers don't benefit at all from having Economy 7 installed. We often say if roughly 30% or more of your electricity usage is at night, then it would be worth getting Economy 7.

There's lots of information on Economy 7 and what to expect here.

You're quite right, you would need to have a new meter installed to benefit from Economy 7. You can choose a standard meter, however this would come at a charge of £106 (£325 if you have a three phase supply). Alternatively, you could get a smart meter installed free of charge, and then we can remotely change it to Economy 7. You could book this in here.

Finally, yo find out your rates for Economy 7, you'd need to have a look on the quote system here and choose the Economy 7 option when you come across it.

Thanks,
Ed