Solved

How can I switch to Economy 7?

• 28 February 2018
  • 11 replies

I’m on the greener online tariff but have an economy 7 meter, yet I pay a fixed rate.

Is it possible to change to the economy 7 tariff? - I’m having a few surprises with my bill that I’m not happy about due to my hot water and heating being all electric based.

Also, how come Ovo realised my meter is an economy 7 but doesn’t automatically offer me an economy 7 tariff?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 14 March 2018, 14:08

Hey @joeyearsley,

We'll have equavalent Economy 7 rates for each tariff. When you get a quote on our website, you can enter some specific details about your usage, property and meter to get an accurate quote. There's a box you can tick to indicate you have an Economy 7 meter which will ensure you're given the two-rate versions of our tariffs.

We wouldn'y know what your meter is when you sign up without you telling us, but once you've transferred, we'll get some files from your old supplier containing you meter details so we know to ask for two readings.

It's not a problem if you didn't do this though, we can change you to a two-rate tariff part way through a contract. Just drop us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB. We'll be able to provide the equivalent Green Eco7 rates and get your contract amended.

Thanks,
Nancy
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @joeyearsley,

We'll have equavalent Economy 7 rates for each tariff. When you get a quote on our website, you can enter some specific details about your usage, property and meter to get an accurate quote. There's a box you can tick to indicate you have an Economy 7 meter which will ensure you're given the two-rate versions of our tariffs.

We wouldn'y know what your meter is when you sign up without you telling us, but once you've transferred, we'll get some files from your old supplier containing you meter details so we know to ask for two readings.

It's not a problem if you didn't do this though, we can change you to a two-rate tariff part way through a contract. Just drop us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB. We'll be able to provide the equivalent Green Eco7 rates and get your contract amended.

Thanks,
Nancy
Hi Nancy,

Your colleague has transferred me,

Thank you,
Joe Yearsley
My meter has 2 readings for day and night.
I was previously with EON, and because my night usage was less than 10%, they took me off my Economy 7 tariff because the cheaper night rates made my day rate more expensive.
I've just given my first meter readings to OVO, and want to know if the fact that I have an economy 7 meter, but barely use anything at night will inflate my day rate, and if so, can my account not be treated as economy 7?
Reading around what feels like the entire Ovo Energy site I can see suggestions that my Smart Meter could be used to allow a move to a dual rate tariff. How is that done? Is there any charge for this? Having just signed into a deal with Ovo does this have any penalty implications?
thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @Zeberdee - I've moved your post over here. More info above :)

@JayneT68 I've moved your post too. The same as above applies but in reverse, we can change it from dual rate to single and honour the single rates from your start date with us!

Hi all, I'm looking to switch energy supplier and to economy 7 at the same time, does anyone know if this is possible with OVO?

we have an 'old' smart meter that apparently can't be read by anyone other than EDF, and it doesn't accommodate economy 7 either. We have a storage heater so would like to switch sharpish as it's costing a fortune!

Userlevel 5

I’ve moved your query here, @Elgar93.

At the moment we’re aiming to only install SMETS2 meters which aren’t compatible with storage haters - this should change soon but there isn’t a confirmed date.

If your current meter is single rate and only displays one reading we wouldn’t be able to take you on as an Economy 7 member.

Thanks @Eva_OVO , our storage heater is just linked up to our normal electric so how would the meter 'know' it was a storage heater? 

Userlevel 5
Badge

If you have 2 readings on your current meter, @Elgar93, this would indicated that you’re on an Economy 7 tariff, your storage heaters should be on a timer to coincide with your off peak hours. If you have a single rate meter and one reading on the meter, your right, the meter won’t know there is a storage heater in the home, but all of the energy used in the home will be a single rate regardless of when it’s used. 

I hope this helps! 

Thanks @Amy_OVO , our current meter is single rate, but I want to switch it to dual rate/economy 7. Thats what I'm asking, is it possible to switch to Economy 7?

Userlevel 5
Badge

If you were to get your current meter changed by your supplier, @Elgar93, we’d happily take you on as an Economy 7 member, but we wouldn’t be able to take you on as an Economy7 member with your current meter. 

I hope this helps!