Pinned Solved

Do OVO fit Economy 10 meters?

I currently have economy 7 heating with yourselves. I've recently been told by a heating engineer that our ancient wet heating system should be run on E10 to reduce costs. I keep seeing mention of E10 across your forum and on other websites that suggest ovo provides E10 but then I can't seem to find anything official to back that up. Do you offer E10 or is this just a relic of really old contracts?

I have also been emailed regarding your new smart meters and wondered how that might affect my energy bills (as I've just read something about the rates possibly being at different times to my present ones)?
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 19 July 2017, 12:14

I currently have economy 7 heating with yourselves. I've recently been told by a heating engineer that our ancient wet heating system should be run on E10 to reduce costs. I keep seeing mention of E10 across your forum and on other websites that suggest ovo provides E10 but then I can't seem to find anything official to back that up. Do you offer E10 or is this just a relic of really old contracts?

I have also been emailed regarding your new smart meters and wondered how that might affect my energy bills (as I've just read something about the rates possibly being at different times to my present ones)?

Great question @Amyb

We do support Economy 10 meters already set up in a property, but it depends on a couple of variables including your meter type and the area you’re in. As Economy 10 meters are fairly unique and have a different set up, we have to treat these requests case by case. The best thing to do would be to send me a PM with your full name, account number and DoB - and I’ll take a further look into this for you. We do fit Economy 10 meters though - Economy 7 is your best bet for this.

Having a smart meter fitted won’t change the rates you’re currently paying - however there isn’t an E10 option with smart meters, only Economy 7. If you’d like to take a look at the benefits of having smart meters fitted, I’d recommend following the link below. If you do have anymore smart questions, just pop these in your PM.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/what-are-the-benefits-of-smart-meters.html

Cheers,
Emily
View original

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
A friend of mine had an e10 set-up... It has wacky but useful off=peak times, like 0200 - 0700, 01300 - 1600 and 2200 - 000-, or similar... the 10pm to midnight slot is apparently really useful for the washing machine...

He had a bit of problem getting it replaced when it got old as his energy company, can't remember who, not OVO, had no stock of e10 meters at the time and were pressuring him to have e7 instead but he held out til they had e10...

Might be worth asking OVO if they have e10's in your area... I don't think smart meters will do e10 so it'd problee be a chargable job, but if it saves you money it'll pay for itself eventually...

Great question @Amyb

We do support Economy 10 meters already set up in a property, but it depends on a couple of variables including your meter type and the area you’re in. As Economy 10 meters are fairly unique and have a different set up, we have to treat these requests case by case. The best thing to do would be to send me a PM with your full name, account number and DoB - and I’ll take a further look into this for you. We do fit Economy 10 meters though - Economy 7 is your best bet for this.

Having a smart meter fitted won’t change the rates you’re currently paying - however there isn’t an E10 option with smart meters, only Economy 7. If you’d like to take a look at the benefits of having smart meters fitted, I’d recommend following the link below. If you do have anymore smart questions, just pop these in your PM.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/what-are-the-benefits-of-smart-meters.html

Cheers,
Emily
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Just a quick one @Amyb - I've tweaked the title of this topic in case other users with Economy 10 queries find the answer they need here.

Tim
Do ovo supply economy 10 meters? If so, does anyone know the tarrifs?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Unfortunately not, @Scrubz . OVO only offer an E7 tariff.
Userlevel 4
Take a look at the best answer for more info on this, @Scrubz! 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Unfortunately not, @Scrubz . OVO only offer an E7 tariff

This is not strictly true. OVO can offer a dual rate contract, it's the meter itself that is e7 or e10. If u have an e10 meter you get those timings and rates. If you Need an e19 meter who'll need to check if there's stock in your area, just ask them x
When I signed up to Ovo Energy many moons ago we were told we could definitely have economy 10 and indeed they installed a new meter with the E10 times written on.

Recently I'm not so sure we're getting it anymore (bills) as looking through Ovo's FAQ they say they don't supply it. Have I been paying daytime rates for the the times during the day we thought it was EC10?

(We don't want to move to EC7 as there are people at home during the day and we know EC10 is best for us and our lifestyle),
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
When I signed up to Ovo Energy many moons ago we were told we could definitely have economy 10 and indeed they installed a new meter with the E10 times written on.

Recently I'm not so sure we're getting it anymore (bills) as looking through Ovo's FAQ they say they don't supply it. Have I been paying daytime rates for the the times during the day we thought it was EC10?

Thanks for posting @jpm

Have a look at this topic thread for more info on our position on eco 10 meters.

We don't fit them, but they work just as well with our two rate tariffs.
Thanks but a) Ovo did fit the economy 10 meter (this was some years back when we first joined Ovo and b) my question was whether I am still getting Economy 10 rates.

Stateofit above says "...OVO can offer a dual rate contract, it's the meter itself that is e7 or e10. If u have an e10 meter you get those timings and rates. " - so I'm hoping that's true and I'm still getting the e10 rates.

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @jpm - I'm surprised to hear OVO fitted the E10 meters. As a general rule of thumb we don't install them. But if you have an E10 meter, and you get 10 hours off-peak, you'll be charged the low off-peak rate during these times.
Joining OVO next month. I have an Economy 10 meter and want to know what 10 hours of off-peak electricity OVO give.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @tinytess - I've moved your post. More info about supporting Eco10 meters up there ☝🏼
Thanks Nancy but I still don't know what are the 10 off peak hours I will get from OVO with my Economy 10 meter. That was what my question was about and none of the comments posted
answer that!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Thanks Nancy but I still don't know what are the 10 off peak hours I will get from OVO with my Economy 10 meter. That was what my question was about and none of the comments posted
answer that!!

I can find that out for you, @tinytess - PM me your full address!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings