Solved

Can someone advise me about how to get an Economy 7/10 meter?

Userlevel 1
Hi,

I'm an existing OVO user (for a few months now).
I've been told that I can get cheaper evening bills if I install an economy 7 or economy 10 meter.
But the help documentation says:

Is it easy to switch?
It’s not completely straightforward because you’ll need to have a new meter installed, and you may have to pay for this service. Get in touch with your energy supplier to ask them how long it would take and what you’d have to pay

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/economy-7.html

Confused...OVO are my supplier...?

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 2 June 2017, 13:17

Hi @barryb001,

Just to clarify, you are right if you'd like a smart meter and wanted this set to eco 7 then we can do that for you and there will be no charge.

If you want to keep a traditional meter and swap it for a traditional eco 7 meter there would be a charge for that. From our perspective it's definitely and no brainer!

The government wants all homes to be able to have a smart meter by 2020, so to ensure we are driving this initiative forward we are installing them for free. It's also very easy to change the smart meter to eco 7. With traditional meters, as this is a job you'd like to do rather than a result of a faulty meter etc, we would have to charge for the work.

Hope that all makes sense, look forward to seeing your smart meter booking coming through soon :)

If you have any other queries, check out the other topics on smart meters and eco 7, we have a few and they have a lot of information on which you might find useful.

Darran

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
barryb001 wrote:

Hi,

I'm an existing OVO user (for a few months now).
I've been told that I can get cheaper evening bills if I install an economy 7 or economy 10 meter.
But the help documentation says:

Is it easy to switch?
It’s not completely straightforward because you’ll need to have a new meter installed, and you may have to pay for this service. Get in touch with your energy supplier to ask them how long it would take and what you’d have to pay

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/economy-7.html

Confused...OVO are my supplier...?

Thanks.

Hi @barryb001 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you haven't found the webpage much use! There's topics already going with a discussion underway, you can check these out here:
economy 7

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/can-ovo-energy-fit-a-smart-meter-if-i-have-an-economy-7-meter-36/index1.html

economy 10
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/can-my-smart-meter-be-set-up-with-economy-10-331/index1.html

In short it all depends on your current meters and whether they have engineer availability in your region. It's worth noting that ovo can't offer the economy 10 tariff with smart meters.

My advice would be to Reach out to the ovo customer care team, if you reach out to them using an online platform please include your full name, address, ovo acc number & date of birth to help speed up a resolution for you

Hope the above helps
Userlevel 1
Thanks, I'll contact the OVO customer care team to find out how to get a smart metre or economy 7 meter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
barryb001 wrote:

Thanks, I'll contact the OVO customer care team to find out how to get a smart metre or economy 7 meter.

Awesome stuff @barryb001 do let us know how you get on,

FYI OVO use the same smart meter for the economy 7 tariff - just ask about it when you call :cool:
Userlevel 1
Response from customer care:
if you wish to have an economy seven meter and want to change your rates to reflect this then you can book a smart meter below, please follow the link.

If you do not want to have a smart meeer you can pay for a meter exchange £57.75.

Once the meter is exchanged you can then call us on 0800 5999 440 to change your contract onto a 2 rate tariff.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi @barryb001

I'm glad to hear you can have an economy 7 tariff with smart meters.

this is the first time I've heard of a charge to have a smart meter installed - @Tim_OVO are you able to advise on this please so other users know the score?!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Mattj3135 wrote:

Hi @barryb001

I'm glad to hear you can have an economy 7 tariff with smart meters.

this is the first time I've heard of a charge to have a smart meter installed - @Tim_OVO are you able to advise on this please so other users know the score?!

Smart meters are always free at the point of use, like the NHS is supposed to be, and long may it contiue...

I gather that currently the smart meters that OVO use support either single rate, (one register, same rate 24 hours) or Economy 7... these tend to be low cost electric from midnight til 7am, it's not cheap evenings... Great for storage heaters, tough to make it pay for itself if not, lots of washing machine on at night type behaviour...

Economy 10 can have a weird variety of cheap times, classically something like 00.00 - 05.00, 1300 - 1600, 2000 - 2200... all kinds of useful, but "secure" smart doesn't do that yet it seems...

So if you want smart and want single rate or e7, it's free. And well worth it I say, mine rock.

If you want e10 specifically that's a chargeable job, cos you're just requesting a change. And it may depend on whether they have stock in your area...

I think that's right, perhaps a mod can confirm or debunk / scoff...

:thumbup:
Userlevel 1
Wow, thank you very much for that answer. I'll need to dig a bit deeper to find out exactly what they want to charge for. I THINK they mean if I don't want a smart meter - if I want to change my "traditional" single rate meter for a "traditional" e7 meter. If it doesn't cost anything to switch to a smart meter that does E7, then perhaps it's a no-brainer...

My reason for wanting this is clear: I'm getting an EV, so I need 7-8 hours overnight which I can schedule whenever via my smartphone. It costs up to £3 in electricity to charge an EV, so if I can get a lower rate overnight (every day), it will save me a lot of money over a year.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @barryb001,

Just to clarify, you are right if you'd like a smart meter and wanted this set to eco 7 then we can do that for you and there will be no charge.

If you want to keep a traditional meter and swap it for a traditional eco 7 meter there would be a charge for that. From our perspective it's definitely and no brainer!

The government wants all homes to be able to have a smart meter by 2020, so to ensure we are driving this initiative forward we are installing them for free. It's also very easy to change the smart meter to eco 7. With traditional meters, as this is a job you'd like to do rather than a result of a faulty meter etc, we would have to charge for the work.

Hope that all makes sense, look forward to seeing your smart meter booking coming through soon :)

If you have any other queries, check out the other topics on smart meters and eco 7, we have a few and they have a lot of information on which you might find useful.

Darran
Userlevel 1
Thanks, looks like it might be a while though :(

"Good news, our smart meters will work in your property
However, we're experiencing high demand in your area, so we don't have any appointments right now. We'll send you an email as soon as we have engineers free in your area."
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@barryb001 so close!!

Ok well at least you know what you need now and as per the message, we'll email you when we have more appointments available so watch this space.

Keep an eye on the forum too, to keep in touch with all the topics about smart meters and eco 7 as you may pick up some useful tips.

Darran

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close