Solved

Can I switch to OVO and go from Economy 7 to a single rate meter and tariff?

After endless problems with Scottish Power I'm looking to switch and am really interested in Ovo (I've been a previous customer and should never have left!). However I currently have a twin rate meter (economy 7) and would like to move to a single rate. My current meter shows the single rate as well as the two E7 rates. Am I able to join Ovo and use the single rate reading or submit the two rates and if not I understand I would need a meter change. Do Ovo charge for this and if so how much?

Thank you for your help.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 5 January 2018, 12:26

After endless problems with Scottish Power I'm looking to switch and am really interested in Ovo (I've been a previous customer and should never have left!). However I currently have a twin rate meter (economy 7) and would like to move to a single rate. My current meter shows the single rate as well as the two E7 rates. Am I able to join Ovo and use the single rate reading or submit the two rates and if not I understand I would need a meter change. Do Ovo charge for this and if so how much?

Thank you for your help.

Hi @Elaine128,

This all depends on the type of meter you have. If you have a smart meter with which we can communicate, we should be able to load this onto our system when you switch and we can change the mode remotely from two rates to one rate. You'd just have to get in touch with us on or just after your start date to let us know you'd like us to do this. Meters we can do this with are 'Secure' models and the serial number will start with a 14P, 15P, 16P or 17P.

If you've got a smart meter that we can't communicate with, or a traditional meter, we'd have to change the meter. We can change this to a smart meter of ours free of charge to bypass any cost to you, as we offer free upgrades to all customers. If you wanted to stick with the traditional type of meter, it would cost to change. Changing a two rate electricity meter to a single rate one would cost £57.75. We'd have to book either of these appointments in with you after you'd switched over. For a smart appointment, we can't guarantee a date or availability as they're in quite high demand, and it'd depend on where you live and what our coverage is like. For a traditional appointment, you can generally book these in 17 days in advance if not sooner.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Cheers,
Nancy

**UPDATED on 30/07/2019**
View original

28 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thank you for your help.

Hi @Elaine128,

This all depends on the type of meter you have. If you have a smart meter with which we can communicate, we should be able to load this onto our system when you switch and we can change the mode remotely from two rates to one rate. You'd just have to get in touch with us on or just after your start date to let us know you'd like us to do this. Meters we can do this with are 'Secure' models and the serial number will start with a 14P, 15P, 16P or 17P.

If you've got a smart meter that we can't communicate with, or a traditional meter, we'd have to change the meter. We can change this to a smart meter of ours free of charge to bypass any cost to you, as we offer free upgrades to all customers. If you wanted to stick with the traditional type of meter, it would cost to change. Changing a two rate electricity meter to a single rate one would cost £57.75. We'd have to book either of these appointments in with you after you'd switched over. For a smart appointment, we can't guarantee a date or availability as they're in quite high demand, and it'd depend on where you live and what our coverage is like. For a traditional appointment, you can generally book these in 17 days in advance if not sooner.

Cheers,
Nancy

**UPDATED on 30/07/2019**
Thanks for the info. It is just a normal old fashioned meter so I would need a smart meter. I will give it some thought. You've already scored higher than Scottish Power just by replying!
I have had a new heating system installed and no longer use electric night storage heaters. How do I let you know I will only be entering one meter reading a month from now on?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @Michelle14 - check out my 'best answer' which should help with your query.
I'm removing my old night storage heaters and OVO will change my tariff to a standard one shortly (I've got a smart meter so it's just a push of a button at their end). I'm going to put in some convection heaters, but I had assumed the economy7 circuit will still be live, on all the time, at the standard tariff. But is this true? I hope so as then I could just wire in the convection heaters to the same wall sockets. If the economy7 circuit just stops getting power then I've got a lot of rewiring to pay for.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @fezztah, welcome back to the forum!

That is a really good question and one I am not qualified to answer. Maybe @Tim_OVO, @Darran_OVO, @Emily_OVO or @Lucy_OVO can help?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @fezztah - I've moved your post over here. You should be able to find the info you need in my best answer at the top.

Let us know if you have any more questions!
Hi Nancy,
no that didn't answer my question. I have a smart meter, I am going to be on a single tariff - that's all sorted. The question is, will the economy7 circuit (which has a separate fusebox and all the night storage heaters used to be wired into it) still be live after the switch to one tariff or will that circuit, which is separate from the main one (lights, cooker, tv, etc) just go dead? I need to know because the night storage heaters are all going to be replaced with normal convection heaters and these could use the same wiring IF it will be live.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @fezztah,

The circuit isn't something that the meter or the tariff would control. If you've simply changed your tariff to a single rate, your meter should still function in the same way as before but the units clocked on register 1 and the units clocked on register 2 will both be charged at the same price. If we've manually changed your smart meter over onto one register only, then you should only have one reading now to charge all your usage.

Unfortunately energy suppliers aren't able to look into the electrical wiring in your property - an electricin would need to do this.

Hope this helps!
Hi all,

I want to switch my current standard economy 7 SSE electricity only to OVO but change from economy 7 as I don't think we use enough night time to warrent it. Is this possible and easy enough to do?
I'm also interested in a smart meter which I know we can't get on economy 7!

Thanks in advance :)

Steph
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Steph - I've moved your question over here, where I've outlined the process for moving supplier and changing meter functionality at the same time (Eco 7 to single rate). The same principle applies for your query, just the other way round.

Hope this helps!
My gas/electricity bill has gone up every year since joining OVO. I’ve only just realised that I have an economy 7 meter. Will it be cheaper for me to get rid of this and go on a different tariff. 2 years ago I had a £250 refund as I was in credit, this year and last I’ve had nothing so somethings wrong! Please help
I’d like to move over to Ovo from EDF but I have an Economy 7 meter. My first question is, can I select any OVO tariff with this meter? My next question is, am I able to change my meter from Economy 7 to a regular meter somehow? If so, how and what would it cost?

I don’t really use much electricity during the 7 ‘economy hours’ and I’ve read I may also be paying a lot more for electrify during the day on this meter than with a regular meter.

Thanks in advance for any answers, advice or correction of my understanding of Economy 7!
My current tariff is due to end in a couple of weeks & I would like to switch from Economy 7 (as my ‘night time usage is only 20% of my overall electricity bill) but I cannot find out what the single rate tariffs are as I keep being shown the Economy 7 figures in my OVO.

I have an Ovo installed smart meter so it should be straight forward so how do I find out the non economy 7 tariffs & how do I then swap without phoning up?
I have a economy 7 meter and tariff however I also have gas central heating. I’ve booked to have a smart meter fitted, will they fit a single rate meter so I can change to a better tariff or will it be like for like?

Do I need to inform anyone to get a single rate meter fitted?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Melonhed @AdyB & @DextersPaw @Bina

I've moved your question here as there is a lot of info on this topic already that should help answer your questions.

Darran
@Darran_OVO - moving my question here is no help. I spent a long time searching for the answers I need before posting to the forum & still do not know how to find ‘non Economy 7’ tariff details in MyOVO & cannot see how to request to move off Economy 7 Once I have seen the rates apart from phoning up (& losing my online discount for the month)!
Hello,

I'm currently on an economy 7 tariff, but realise that I get zero benefit from the cheap night rates. My deal runs out in a few weeks, so would want to switch to a standard tariff, but I can't seem to do that via the website.

Can this be done? Do I have to call and loose my self service discount for something I can't do online?

Thanks
Hello

There is some info here from OVO about economy 7 and there is a section towards the end that explains about switching to a normal rate from economy 7.

You may need a new meter and you will need to contact OVO. You should not loose your self service discount as its something you cannot do online.
Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you for your help.
Hi @Elaine128,

Cheers,
Nancy

Hey @indiecheese welcome to the forum, thanks for stepping in @Phil_H super helpful info. I've moved your post to this topic as it offers the most helpful info.

Please see the above best answer on the next steps in changing your tariff.

Hope this helps!
I'm on a smart meter so fingers crossed it's one of the versions above.

Do I need to call to sort this out? And would I loose my discount as its not smoothing I can do online?

Thanks 😁
Userlevel 5
Badge
Give our team a call, @indiecheese.

If you needed to get in touch about something you're not able to do online, or you can't find the answer to on our website, then you wouldn't run the risk of losing the reward, this is that kind of scenario.

You can find more information about the Self Service reward here.

You can reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

Cheers!
Currently all-electric house on Economy 7 on fixed term contract & have been asked to say if I have changed my mind about not having a smart meter (for the record I didn’t refuse one, but was informed by installers that the then current smart meter could not do E7). If I changed my mind & had a SMETS2 installed would I be charged to change tariff as same time as current statements say I would save money on a single tariff?
Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you for your help.
Hi @Elaine128,

Cheers,
Nancy

Welcome to the forum, @homme noir, please see the above best answer for the info you need. All of our smart meters support Economy 7 and single rate tariff.

Thanks!

I am an Ovo customer on an economy 7 meter. I am coming up to renewal and I am interested in finding out how to move to a standard meter and what would be involved as I think this might be cheaper. Please can you explain how to cahange or provide contact details for me to call?