Solved

Can I switch to OVO and go from Economy 7 to a single rate meter and tariff?

After endless problems with Scottish Power I'm looking to switch and am really interested in Ovo (I've been a previous customer and should never have left!). However I currently have a twin rate meter (economy 7) and would like to move to a single rate. My current meter shows the single rate as well as the two E7 rates. Am I able to join Ovo and use the single rate reading or submit the two rates and if not I understand I would need a meter change. Do Ovo charge for this and if so how much?

Thank you for your help.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 5 January 2018, 12:26

Elaine128 wrote:

After endless problems with Scottish Power I'm looking to switch and am really interested in Ovo (I've been a previous customer and should never have left!). However I currently have a twin rate meter (economy 7) and would like to move to a single rate. My current meter shows the single rate as well as the two E7 rates. Am I able to join Ovo and use the single rate reading or submit the two rates and if not I understand I would need a meter change. Do Ovo charge for this and if so how much?

Thank you for your help.

Hi @Elaine128,

This all depends on the type of meter you have. If you have a smart meter with which we can communicate, we should be able to load this onto our system when you switch and we can change the mode remotely from two rates to one rate. You'd just have to get in touch with us on or just after your start date to let us know you'd like us to do this. Meters we can do this with are 'Secure' models and the serial number will start with a 14P, 15P, 16P or 17P.

If you've got a smart meter that we can't communicate with, or a traditional meter, we'd have to change the meter. We can change this to a smart meter of ours free of charge to bypass any cost to you, as we offer free upgrades to all customers. If you wanted to stick with the traditional type of meter, it would cost to change. Changing a two rate electricity meter to a single rate one would cost £57.75. We'd have to book either of these appointments in with you after you'd switched over. For a smart appointment, we can't guarantee a date or availability as they're in quite high demand, and it'd depend on where you live and what our coverage is like. For a traditional appointment, you can generally book these in 17 days in advance if not sooner.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Cheers,
Nancy

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Elaine128 wrote:

Thank you for your help.

Hi @Elaine128,

This all depends on the type of meter you have. If you have a smart meter with which we can communicate, we should be able to load this onto our system when you switch and we can change the mode remotely from two rates to one rate. You'd just have to get in touch with us on or just after your start date to let us know you'd like us to do this. Meters we can do this with are 'Secure' models and the serial number will start with a 14P, 15P, 16P or 17P.

If you've got a smart meter that we can't communicate with, or a traditional meter, we'd have to change the meter. We can change this to a smart meter of ours free of charge to bypass any cost to you, as we offer free upgrades to all customers. If you wanted to stick with the traditional type of meter, it would cost to change. Changing a two rate electricity meter to a single rate one would cost £57.75. We'd have to book either of these appointments in with you after you'd switched over. For a smart appointment, we can't guarantee a date or availability as they're in quite high demand, and it'd depend on where you live and what our coverage is like. For a traditional appointment, you can generally book these in 17 days in advance if not sooner.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Cheers,
Nancy
Thanks for the info. It is just a normal old fashioned meter so I would need a smart meter. I will give it some thought. You've already scored higher than Scottish Power just by replying!
I have had a new heating system installed and no longer use electric night storage heaters. How do I let you know I will only be entering one meter reading a month from now on?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @Michelle14 - check out my 'best answer' which should help with your query.
I'm removing my old night storage heaters and OVO will change my tariff to a standard one shortly (I've got a smart meter so it's just a push of a button at their end). I'm going to put in some convection heaters, but I had assumed the economy7 circuit will still be live, on all the time, at the standard tariff. But is this true? I hope so as then I could just wire in the convection heaters to the same wall sockets. If the economy7 circuit just stops getting power then I've got a lot of rewiring to pay for.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @fezztah, welcome back to the forum!

That is a really good question and one I am not qualified to answer. Maybe @Tim_OVO, @Darran_OVO, @Emily_OVO or @Lucy_OVO can help?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @fezztah - I've moved your post over here. You should be able to find the info you need in my best answer at the top.

Let us know if you have any more questions!
Hi Nancy,
no that didn't answer my question. I have a smart meter, I am going to be on a single tariff - that's all sorted. The question is, will the economy7 circuit (which has a separate fusebox and all the night storage heaters used to be wired into it) still be live after the switch to one tariff or will that circuit, which is separate from the main one (lights, cooker, tv, etc) just go dead? I need to know because the night storage heaters are all going to be replaced with normal convection heaters and these could use the same wiring IF it will be live.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @fezztah,

The circuit isn't something that the meter or the tariff would control. If you've simply changed your tariff to a single rate, your meter should still function in the same way as before but the units clocked on register 1 and the units clocked on register 2 will both be charged at the same price. If we've manually changed your smart meter over onto one register only, then you should only have one reading now to charge all your usage.

Unfortunately energy suppliers aren't able to look into the electrical wiring in your property - an electricin would need to do this.

Hope this helps!
Hi all,

I want to switch my current standard economy 7 SSE electricity only to OVO but change from economy 7 as I don't think we use enough night time to warrent it. Is this possible and easy enough to do?
I'm also interested in a smart meter which I know we can't get on economy 7!

Thanks in advance 🙂

Steph
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Steph - I've moved your question over here, where I've outlined the process for moving supplier and changing meter functionality at the same time (Eco 7 to single rate). The same principle applies for your query, just the other way round.

Hope this helps!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings