We need your feedback! - Potential changes to Refer a Friend

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

We are looking for your feedback, as we are thinking about some changes to our Refer a Friend reward scheme.

Currently if you refer someone to OVO and they sign up, you both receive a voucher from a choice of retailers, however we're thinking about changing this from a voucher to credit on your account.

So if you refer someone, instead of getting a voucher, you and the person you refer (once they have come on supply) would have £50 of credit applied to your energy account.

Again, there would be no limits at this stage on the number of people you could refer, so the reward opportunity is endless!!

So what do you think about this? Good idea? Please get commenting below and share your thoughts.

Darran

17 replies

OK with me, probably preferable in fact. Go for it.
Userlevel 3
I think credit to account is a better scheme although I suppose you could offer both credit and voucher options.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Excellent idea as far as I'm concerned, no need to offer both options, if you get a £50 credit to the account you can then spend £50 in the shops and be no worse off plus you won't be limited by who takes the vouchers.

Peter
Userlevel 3
Sounds a good plan to me!
At the moment I'm not planning to refer anyone. The delay and lack of feedback on the V2G and Home Battery trials have given me a very poor impression of Ovo, having started with a very positive experience.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I'd like to be given the choice, whilst £50 credit is not to be sniffed at it doesn't feel as rewarding as a voucher you can spend on yourself at Amazon or somewhere else.

For the super rich customers why not have an option to donate to charity? Better still send it all to me and I'll promise to invite you all for a day out on my yacht in the Caribbean 😆
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I would prefer the account credit rather than the voucher.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The account credit makes more sense, as its directly related to the reason someone is being referred in the first place, so I think this is ideal
Credit on your account is better than a voucher. Also the ability for multiple referrals is good for me.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I'd prefer credit rather than a voucher.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I don't mind too much either way. I haven't actually claimed for "refer a friend", although some of my public posts on the Forum have generated new customers! 😀

There is another related point I'd like to raise however...

I would like to see all Energy Suppliers move towards a system where a third-party can send a credit to a meter. This probably only applies if the customer has a Smart Meter, but that's not far off anyway.

The scenario I have in mind is that a local agency such as a Food Bank or Debt-Relief Charity (eg CAP) could provide an instant "energy credit" which allows a family to stay warm and cook food whilst a medium term solution is found to resolve debt issues and the suchlike.

If OVO moving towards account credits takes a step forward in that direction, then let's do it!

I would appreciate hearing other's views on this.

And would one of the Mods (@Eva_OVO ?) please draw this proposal to someone relevant internally? Your PSR Manager, perhaps?
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Transparent whilst a good idea, sounds like a GDPR nightmare 🙂

I would have thought that a lot of families who use foodbanks or CAP have pre-payment meters so this could be achieved by topping up a meter card or key, unsure about those on standard meters. I wouldn't have thought these charities would be too keen on donating money as I know that foodbanks for example run on a shoestring?

Peter
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Transparent

Interesting you mention that, I caught the tail end of a discussion on TV the other night possibly Channel 4 news, then again it might have been Radio 1 and they were talking about doing that with mobile phones to enable someone else to top-up another persons phone. It might have even been a mobile phone advert, I really should pay more attention!

Useful if you have a child who's run out of credit but likewise as you mention keeping a loved one or even another family warm.

It gets my vote 👍

Might be worth starting a new discussion perhaps?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I think the GDPR issue is readily surmountable, @PeterR1947 After all, the only way to directly credit a Smart Meter is via DCC. I can think of several ways to achieve this.

And if it needs a change of law, well - that's what MPs are for! I know my MP would be up for this if required; but it's likely to get all-party support, so could rattle its way through the Commons quick time.

Bizarrely, within the last hour I've just spoken with someone whose prepayment energy meters have cut off gas and electricity last night. They've explained the system to me and I understand much better why it's not a good idea to simply top-up their card: because there is an "emergency buffer" inbuilt to their account, if I were to add £10 to the card for them, only £4 of this would be used to provide electricity. The other £6 is taken by their Supplier to use against the Buffer.

I'm probably not using the right terms here! Can @Eva_OVO correct me please?

What I'm looking for is an emergency credit from a 3rd party straight to the meter rather than simply distributing precious charitable funds back to an Energy Supplier!

There is a SMETS command to permit this to happen.

The Supplier's debt can be sorted out over the ensuing few days... probably with the help of a Debt Advice Service, who will assess whether that Supplier has fairly applied the tariff etc.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Transparent @Eva_OVO

The "buffer" you refer to is actually a debt owed by the user. When meter reading I came across quite a few of these, typically when someone got into debt and couldn't repay it, their meter was changed for a pre-payment meter (without their consent) and the debt was recovered through the meter card or key as you mentioned. I came across some very severe debt recovery using this method. Ironically, not only repaying debt in those days but also paying more for their fuel! A double whammy. I don't think that's allowed any more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks for the insight @PeterR1947 - This is precisely what I'm trying to find out about.

I know the person in question has been going without food, and I've guided them towards professional assistance. However, there remains the possibility that the Energy Supplier (not OVO) could be recovering a debt via the meters... and hence plunging the householder into debt.

Since @Eva_OVO used to work in the PAYG Dept, can we have some advice as to what the rules are on such debt-recovery please?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sorry, missed this, very busy month and too many nasty germs circulating 😞.

Account credit is good in some circumstances, although with 2 of our adult kids having recently moved house and up to their eyes in new mortgages, we'd pass on our shopping voucher back to them to help them out.

Sorry, that's not much help really, but tbh either option is acceptable.

Re the ability to top up a pre pay meter, now that I'd also be interested in. I know someone struggling with the new universal credit and it would be nice to help her with a meter credit from time to time.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings