Pinned F.A.Q.

FAQs for MyOVO

• 21 May 2019
  • 2 replies
FAQs for MyOVO
Userlevel 6
Badge

Updated 04/06/2020 - We’re in the process of upgrading all members to our new online experience. With that, check out our new list of handy topics here!

Hi superusers!

We realised that the FAQ’s and the speed in which we were rolling them out was at a snail's pace 🐌. Time to pick things back up with our next FAQ installment: all about MyOVO.

Why can’t I log in/ reset my password?

Let’s start from the very beginning, accessing your online account.

If you’re having issues with our app, I’d recommend deleting and reinstalling the app to ensure it’s the latest version. Sometimes this is all it needs to get working again.

If you’re on a computer, please ensure you’re using Google Chrome as your account is optimised for this browser. Please also clear your cookies and cache, and try logging in again. If you’re currently logging in with your email address, you may wish to try your OVO Energy ID.

I’d also recommend resetting your password as part of this process, as after you reset it, your account will automatically try to login. You can do this here.
If this doesn’t work, send us a message on Facebook, so that we can work out the issue and resolve it for you. Can you please let us know:

Are you logging in using your email address or account number?
Are you using the app or the browser version of the site?
Can you send us a screenshot of the issue/error?
If not please describe it in as much detail.
How long has this been ongoing for?
What device are you using? I.e iPhone 7, Windows desktop computer
What software does your device use? This can usually be found in the settings section of your device.

Can I change the date of my Direct Debit on MyOVO?

In short, no. This is to ensure the date of payment coincides with the statement date so that the account doesn't go into arrears.

You can contact our team on: 0330 303 5063, Mon-Fri: 8am - 6pm, they’ll be able to change the date to any of the following, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 12th, 15th, 18th, 22nd, 25th and 28th.

You can change your Direct Debit date after your third month with us, more info https:// https://forum.ovoenergy.com/direct-debits-payments-and-refunds-81/why-can-t-i-change-my-direct-debit-within-the-first-3-months-6480..

Why can’t I renew online?

We normally notify you 49 days prior to the end of your current plan, so if you have not yet received your renewal notification, you might not be in your renewal window.
This notification gives you enough time to compare the rates we have available with other potential suppliers. It also gives you enough time to make a switch if you choose to, before the new offered rates come into effect.

The best place to view your renewal options would be on your My Ovo account, all the details of our plans are listed under, my profile - my plan here is a link to your account.
You’ll find lots of handy info on renewing here.
If you have received your renewal notification and still can’t renew online please contact our team on Facebook or give our contact centre a call on: 0330 303 5063, Mon-Fri: 8am - 6pm, they’ll take a look into your account.

Why can’t I change the amount of my Direct Debit other than the recommended amount?

Direct Debit amounts are checked on a monthly basis to make sure you're paying the right amount, to avoid debts later on in the contract.
The amount is based on estimates of what you'll use over the course of a year. The estimations are based on usage history in the property, so the more meter readings we have, the more accurate we can estimate your Direct Debit amount. This avoids you accruing any debt on your account.

If you need to reduce your Direct Debit and can not do so online, please contact our team on Facebook or give our contact centre a call on: 0330 303 5063, Mon-Fri: 8am - 6pm, they’ll be able to talk you through your options.

Why does it still ask me for readings when I have had a Smart meter fitted?

After a smart meter has been installed, it can take up to 8 weeks for us to update all our systems with your new meter details. During those 8 weeks, we may still send automated meter reading reminders, the system that sends those reminders doesn't 'know' that you have a smart meter just yet. If it’s been over 6 weeks, then feel free to ask us and we can double check your smart meters are communicating and the account is all up to date.

Why is my usage different from my IHD?

Your IHD will not reset to zero after a statement has been generated, it’ll just keep going up daily. Unfortunately, there is no way for an IHD to "know" when your bill is generated, so it can't automatically reset.

The IHD receives data via a Zigbee wireless network from your gas/electricity Smart Meter(s). They, in turn, have no concept of a bill-date. The Smart Meters send data to OVO using the mobile phone network, via the 3rd party DCC.

OVO's in-house computers generate your Bill. There is no signal passed back to your Smart Meter through DCC when that happens.
Your MyOVO account is the best place to see your accurate usage.

@Transparent the majority of the above is from an answer you've given, thanks for the detailed advise (couldn't have written it better myself ☺).

Can I update my personal details on MyOVO?

In a nutshell, yes, this is also a good way to ensure you are not jeopardising your Self Service Reward by contacting us unnecessarily. More info on the Self Service Reward here

You can update the following yourself on your MyOVO account:

• Title
  • Email address
  • Contact numbers
  • Contact preferences
  • Change of address (when moving out of your property)

You will need to contact us if you need to change your name though. You can contact our team on Facebook or give our contact centre a call on: 0330 303 5063, Mon-Fri: 8am - 6pm, you’ll need to confirm 4 pieces of DPA so that we can process the change.

Why can’t I find a contact number on MyOVO?

If you head over to the “Need Help?” tab you’ll find lots of handy info there including our contact number and opening times.

2 replies

I just downloaded the MyOvo app and I like it lots except for one thing.  I hate all the propaganda about smart meters, so it would make me really happy ot open the app and not see the “Let’s get you a smart meter” blurb at the top.  Is there a way to rid me of this vexation?

Userlevel 5

This isn’t something you’ll be able to remove I’m afraid, @normal norman