Solved

Pre-payment Meter top-up problem (now solved and archived)

• 10 September 2022
  • 17 replies

There seems to be a widespread issue preventing customers topping up their pre-payment meters (Sat 10 Sep 22).  Is there any information available about this problem?  Are OVO taking action to resolve the issue?  An increasing and becoming a significant number of OVO customers are losing their supply because they cannot top-up their meter.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 10 September 2022, 22:31

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Western Power Distribution ,

Firstly, it looks like you have claimed a restricted username that is technically meant to be reserved for a DNO. Please can you contact the OVO Forum moderators via email to forum@ovoenergy.com to confirm you work for Western Power Distribution and verify your status with them, otherwise you may be asked to change your username. You will need to use an official WPD email address and the email must be sent from the WPD domain for it to be accepted.

I’m afraid this forum isn’t the ideal place to get help with this issue either, as I’ve got no-one I can reach out to at this hour. All the forum moderators are currently offline for the weekend and I don’t have any out-of-hours contacts.

However, I’m told that OVO’s Social Media Team might respond if you ping them on Twitter. That’s the best I can think of right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Update 11/09/22 08:30: This incident has been resolved.

The SSE Top-Up payment portal has been re-activated and it’s now possible to top-up again.

Western Power Distribution also privately disclosed to me the actions that they took for affected customers during the incident. I have decided to keep this information private to prevent network abuse as that information doesn’t normally seem to be publicly available. The same applies to the contents of the discussions I’ve had with them, as I don’t have permission to make them public.

Ok, so this is mainly for everyone else who discovers this thread. Further digging indicates that only SSE is affected, OVO and Boost are working normally right now. It has been caused as a result of scheduled maintenance to the payment systems used by SSE.

Apparently the maintenance will be finished at 9am tomorrow morning. I’ll be interested to see if they keep to that!

However, if you are still affected by this issue and are on the Priority Services Register, I echo the advice that WPD have given - please call 105 immediately and your DNO will do their best to help.

I’m force-marking this as a Best Answer to make it more visible. If I have further advice or can provide any status updates, this comment will be updated. If I see the payment portal come back online, I’ll be sure to put some giant rainbow comic sans message at the top!

If you have Emergency Credit available, please use it for now to get back on-supply until you’re able to top-up again. However, I strongly advise that in the meantime, try to keep your energy use to a minimum to make the Emergency Credit last for as long as possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok, I’ve checked the system this morning and the payment portal seems to be back up and running. Hopefully it should stay up from here!

How can I top up 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That depends on your meter type @Abdat . Please provide photos of your meters.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’ll need to use the electricity key paired to that meter. Given the details I’m seeing in the photo, that’ll probably be British Gas unless the supplier has been changed since the meter was installed.

Please don’t use the key that was provided when you moved in (if one was given to you) - you’ll need your own key so if you’ve not set up an account yet, now would be a good time.

I’d also recommend considering upgrading to smart meters, but before that… Probably not a bad idea to switch supplier. You’ll soon find out why...

Yes I use to use e on but saddenely  ovo energy I don't know how it happened 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You don’t just get moved without your knowledge. You need to call whoever you think the current supplier is to have them check the records.

But what can I do for now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not much I’m afraid. Until you can identify the supplier, you can’t really do anything else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can try to help you a bit though. What region/county do you live in?

Ls9 7sj  leeds 

*edited by mod*

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In that case, use the Find My Supplier tool at https://www.northernpowergrid.com/ . It should tell you what you need to know.

Ovo energy is the supplier, eon said 

Now my electric is running out ,how can I get to top up  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You need to have an electric key that’s paired to that meter. It’s the only way to top-up or activate emergency credit for that particular meter. If the supplier is OVO, you’ll need to talk to Boost in the morning for help. https://boostpower.co.uk there’s a Live Chat system on the homepage, in the bottom right corner.