Blog

A new Mod is in the house!

A new Mod is in the house!
Userlevel 7

Hi everyone,

Your brand new moderator has arrived, and this time we’re not fooling!  Sorry to say Pilar Loofs was busy so I'll be joining instead, giving Tim a hand and a well-deserved break just in time for a pint in a pub garden (finally!). I am really looking forward to being a part of the great little community that’s growing here and learning more from the community experts we have on hand. Here's looking at you @Blastoise186 , @Transparent  and @Jequinlan!

So a little lowdown on me: I’m Jess, I live in Bristol and have been working with OVO for nearly 2 years. A bit of an energy novice when I started, I’ve been really inspired by learning about the new technologies we are developing on our Plan Zero journey. I’m a self confessed tree-hugger, I’ve always had an interest in ‘being green’ and living as sustainably as possible.

When not helping out here you’ll probably find me out riding my trusty steed (A Dawes Galaxy touring bike), swimming in a river or listening to a podcast and cooking up a veggie feast. Always up for sharing a recipe or podcast tip if anyone’s got a favourite!

Nice to meet you all,

Jess

PS. I’ll also be stopping by our event next week, so look forward to chatting more then!

The trusty bike in action!

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Woah! A wild @Jess_OVO attacked?!?!

Gigantamax Blastoise186 used G-Max Cannonnade! :rofl:

Welcome Jess, to THE dream team of the seas. I hope you didn’t get too badly soaked just now! :stuck_out_tongue: I still think Pilar Loofs should have joined us though… :joy:

You probably already know me too well, but I’ve always got more tricks and traps up my sleeve that even @Tim_OVO doesn’t know about.

Good luck with the new job here! We’ll be around to help ya out with the new sword. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Welcome onboard @Jess_OVO , however, i was a little concerned you hinting there will be times you won't be helping us! 😉

As an avid fan of zero emmission transport, I admire your trusty steed. For me if it were in my hands however, i am afraid it would be a rusty steed. I like my comforts and my long range leaf really does the job and can power my house through the v2g trial. Bet your bike would need a lot of work to do that!!!

Looking forward to chatting at the event!

John.

Userlevel 7

Thanks @Blastoise186 and @Jequinlan for the warm welcome! It’s great to be involved and I’m really enjoying learning how things work around here.

@Tim_OVO has already bigged up your great contributions, so looking forward to getting to know you and our other regulars better over the coming weeks.

As an avid fan of zero emmission transport, I admire your trusty steed. For me if it were in my hands however, i am afraid it would be a rusty steed. I like my comforts and my long range leaf really does the job and can power my house through the v2g trial. Bet your bike would need a lot of work to do that!!!

Sure the bike has a lot to compete with your EV as well, I did once try out a bike-powered washing machine which was a lot more effort than expected!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Haha, nice!

You’ll definitely get to know us over time. And not just for the amount of bugs I hunt down constantly. Tim can hardly keep up!

As for that bike-powered washing machine… How hard was it exactly to power that thing? I can imagine the Fill and Rinse Cycles probably weren’t too bad, but did you even manage to keep up when it went to Spin Cycle? I hear that requires a LOT more eco juice… :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Jess_OVO - so I guess your last 2-years in [color=#409040]OVO[/color] has been with Customer Services?

What skill set do you want to bring to the [color=#3b6889]F[/color][color=#298070]o[/color][color=#138b55]r[/color][color=#339931]u[/color][color=#54a03a]m[/color], and what subjects do you most want to learn more about?

We could certainly do with a cartoonist. That would help a lot when correspondents go a bit ‘over the top’.

As a self-confessed tree-hugger, are you more of an activist or do you take a scientific/engineering approach to combating [color=#006400]C[/color][color=#008000]l[/color][color=#228B22]i[/color][color=#2E8B57]m[/color][color=#3CB371]a[/color][color=#90EE90]t[/color][color=#98FB98]e[/color] [color=#BDB76B]C[/color][color=#FFD700]h[/color][color=#FFA500]a[/color][color=#FF8C00]n[/color][color=#FF6347]g[/color][color=#FF4500]e[/color]?

Userlevel 7

We could certainly do with a cartoonist. That would help a lot when correspondents go a bit ‘over the top’.

I’m trying to work out what or who this is aimed at now :thinking::joy:

Userlevel 7

Hi @Jess_OVO - so I guess your last 2-years in OVO has been with Customer Services?

What skill set do you want to bring to the Forum, and what subjects do you most want to learn more about?

Hi @Transparent,

Yep, I’m joining the forum from 2 years with the Support team, both on the phones and helping out with the lovely Social Media team, so like to think I’ve learnt a bit about  the main concerns affecting OVO members and how to try and resolve account specific issues.

As I’m sure you’re aware the forum covers some areas of the business, such as our EV and Smart Home products in a lot more depth and these are the areas I’m happy to be learning more about, particularly from experts like yourself!

As a self-confessed tree-hugger, are you more of an activist or do you take a scientific/engineering approach to combating Climate Change?

And this is a very interesting question! I’d like to think these aren’t mutually exclusive approaches, particularly given the scale of the problem. As with all social movements I think there is a lot more power in working together for a common goal rather than fracturing into separate approaches, though maybe that’s my idealism shining through! 

After reading your article on balancing the national grid, (very informative!) am I right in thinking you fall into the second approach? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I wasn’t much of an expert when I became an OVO customer 4 years ago! I knew about house building, but naff all about Smart Meters and the Distribution Grid.

But it’s an exciting time to be operating in this field. The technology is changing fast, which is a good thing - Global Warming isn’t going to slow down whilst we learn about how to manage precious energy supplies.

Yes @Jess_OVO the majority of what you see from me here on the Forum is the engineering viewpoint. That’s where most correspondents lack the vision of how the equipment works and what to invest in.

There’s a lot of technical staff in the energy sector who just love providing answers to intelligent questions. I’m just the rare example of someone who actually bothers to ask them!

I do get involved in the political side, but you probably won’t find me at rallies. My local Councillors and my MP know me and often ask to discuss issues. I also write some pretty forthright submissions to planning applications, which is heaps more effective than getting a letter printed in the local paper. Very little of that gets reflected within Forum posts of course.

So, do you know the difference between a watt and a joule?

Or do you get stumped at the difference between a kW and a kWh? :thinking:

If I asked you to connect a solar panel to a battery, would you try to do so directly? Or do you realise that something electronic needs to be positioned between the two?

And if we met in West Devon, would you want me to show you carbon capture at work in a moorland peat-bog, or should I take you to a hydro-electric plant?

Let’s just tag @PeterR1947 because he might want to see your answers on those points too :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Welcome @Jess_OVO , good to have you on board.

I’m a former OVO customer but have stayed with the Forum as I enjoy helping others.

I’m an avid fan and driver of EVs and a former meter reader in a retirement life after my 37 years in the Telecomms Industry.

Peter

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the welcome, @PeterR1947! With all those years of experience, sure you’re much more versed in the more technical aspects of the energy industry than me! Any chance you can help with my initiation quiz? :wink:

So, do you know the difference between a watt and a joule?

I think I’ve got this one - a joule is a measurement of energy: how much work is required to complete an action and a watt is a measurement of power: how much energy is transferred per second (not gonna lie Ecosia may have helped me there!)

If I asked you to connect a solar panel to a battery, would you try to do so directly? Or do you realise that something electronic needs to be positioned between the two?

Surprisingly hooking up a solar panel to a battery isn’t a massive call driver to the OVO support team so that one would have me stumped. Would be useful knowledge to learn though, particularly as I’m hoping to invest in a new campervan with solar panels when my rusty VW caddy finally dies (fingers crossed an Electric powered van will be in my price range by then:fingers_crossed:)

And if we met in West Devon, would you want me to show you carbon capture at work in a moorland peat-bog, or should I take you to a hydro-electric plant?

These both sound like a great day out! Not specifically peat-related but have you seen Kiss the Ground? It’s a Netflix documentary about the carbon capturing potential of soil which I would really recommend. Always on the look out for more interesting sustainability documentaries if anyone has any other recommendations...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Haha! Nice one!

Unfortunately @Jess_OVO … Your second Initiation Challenge is not so… Easy… To solve.

You’ll find there’s a few random topics that were created by me in the last day or two. Some of them have better… Quality… Than others. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to find those threads and try to solve them. Good luck.

As a clue, most of them are tagged with totodile. But not all.

Oh, and just to make it harder… You have but 24 hours to do so before Tim gets to score a free catch. Hehehe!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Something’s missing though… And it’s not cake… Ah yes. I just remembered.

Howdy @Amy_OVO @Bradley_OVO @Ed_OVO @Alice_OVO @Eva_OVO @Emily_OVO ! Come and say hi to our new friend. We miss you guys too you know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I hadn’t intended it as an initiation rite….  :open_mouth:

but merely trying to find out where you’re going to delve into in the vast array of Forum topics.

Watts are indeed energy per unit of time. And that’s what makes it confusing to discriminate between kW and kWh. After all, kWh seems to suggest that we’re now referencing (1000) watts per another unit of time.

We’ll hope you can quickly learn how to connect solar panels and batteries. Camper-vans are more tricky than home-based batteries. The technology that’s rising in popularity is 3.2v cells using LiFePO4 chemistry (Lithium Ferrous Phosphate). However they are permanently damaged if the temperature falls to freezing.

Fortunately there’s an excellent website called Mobile Solar Power, and a matching YouTube channel run by William Prowse, who explains the basics and reviews equipment. Just beware that he’s based in USA, as are most of his suppliers.

Solar/Batteries may not have created many calls to Customer Services, but OVO/Kaluza are at the forefront of researching how this technology can be harnessed within future UK electricity supplies. Have a look in the Smart Home Treehouse at my ‘blog’ about being on the new Trial with Storage Batteries from PowerVault.

Those who aren’t on Smart Home Trials won’t be able to view this, but participants are starting to compile information which we will post back into the open part of the Forum.

I’m hoping that @Tim_OVO will regard a visit to a peat-bog and a hydro-electric generation site as more than just a ‘great day out’. :hugging:

I don’t think the Moderators get enough on-the-job training. Why don’t we try and get an on-site visit where you and Tim (and I) can visit an electricity transformer site or a renewable generation site near Bristol? :slight_smile:

Userlevel 6

Fear not, @Blastoise186, @Jess_OVO and I are well acquainted!  You miss me the most… yeah???

You’re all in excellent hands! 

:hugging:

Userlevel 7

Aw, Thanks @Amy_OVO! Feels like there’s some big boots to fill around here so hope I can match the mod royalty :princess:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think the main difference between CS and the [color=#3b6889]F[/color][color=#298070]o[/color][color=#138b55]r[/color][color=#339931]u[/color][color=#54a03a]m[/color] is that here any deficiencies in the quality of advice can be overcome by the quality of humour. :hugging:

Userlevel 7

Watts are indeed energy per unit of time. And that’s what makes it confusing to discriminate between kW and kWh. After all, kWh seems to suggest that we’re now referencing (1000) watts per another unit of time.

OK now I’m confused, you have managed to un-learn my knowledge on kWhs, @Transparent. What were you saying about more on-the-job training…

Also, who knows the grammatical term for ending a sentence with 3 full stops, e.g …  ?

Solar/Batteries may not have created many calls to Customer Services, but OVO/Kaluza are at the forefront of researching how this technology can be harnessed within future UK electricity supplies. Have a look in the Smart Home Treehouse at my ‘blog’ about being on the new Trial with Storage Batteries from PowerVault.

Those who aren’t on Smart Home Trials won’t be able to view this, but participants are starting to compile information which we will post back into the open part of the Forum.

Oh yes, well said, @Transparent - we’re going to be expanding the use of this area as part of a restructure. We’ll need the owners of these 21st century technologies to help us create the content to get others to adopt the technology. They don’t need to be OVO members to read this content, let’s not forget that. EVs, air source heat pumps (once we get them installed and working efficiently), smart thermostats, electric heating, micro generation and new installation technologies. Our community members are well placed to run this area. Community power in it’s purest form, to help people save on energy bills and reduce carbon. I’m not sure what the catch is…...

I’m hoping that @Tim_OVO will regard a visit to a peat-bog and a hydro-electric generation site as more than just a ‘great day out’. :hugging:

I don’t think the Moderators get enough on-the-job training. Why don’t we try and get an on-site visit where you and Tim (and I) can visit an electricity transformer site or a renewable generation site near Bristol? :slight_smile:

@Jess_OVO do you reckon that busted up VW will get us there? Count us in, back to Bristol office HQ for tea and a debrief.