Solved

Why have my usage graphs stopped updating?

• 18 February 2018
  • 62 replies

Hi, I regularly check my Usage using either the Android app or through a browser. The monthly and weekly usage charts havn't updated since the 14th February. Interestingly I can see the Daily usage for days including the 17h February so it appears my meter is communicating with OVO.

Anyone else seeing this issue or have any ideas ?

Many thanks,

Pete
icon

Best answer by Transparent 19 February 2018, 20:39

*update*

Please see this topic for more info on the removal of these real time live usage features.
View original

62 replies

Userlevel 6
Hi @Timmo - I've moved your post onto this topic whee you can find more information about usage graphs. Hopefully you'll find this useful, feel free to ask any further questions below.
Userlevel 7
Can you have a look at this thread @Ianmcgrath - might be the same issue...
The app claims to let me see historical usage as well as this year's, but it only shows me projected. The website will only show me this year's use compared with previous years' - but since it's January there is no data to display.

I'd love it if this was better - like if it had the option to show last 12 months not this calendar year!

(do any OVO people watch the forums?)
My graph of gas usage stopped on January 2nd. Elec graph remained ok. I assumed a transmission problem from my gas meter to my electric meter. However, I now see that the web page for meter readings has a correct reading for January 14th. So the data is getting to Ovo but not to my usage page. Maybe a software problem at Ovo?
advice please. I should probably just ring Ovo!
How we can use It with mrecorder.com on Android, and can teach how to improve skill in this application?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
That's a good point @Markrussell78.

I think the same meter readings are used quite differently by OVO for
  • Billing
  • Usage graphs
  • Forward estimates (to predict Direct Debits)

Although there's recently been a lot of reporting of Usage Graph failures, no one seems to have experienced issues with actual billed amounts.

Once SMETS2 meters start being deployed (months away yet), there is a new feature which could allow Customers to cap the amount of energy they buy within certain price-bands or time-slots. There are four separate features:
  • Time Of Use Tariffs: An extension to the existing Economy-7 concept
  • Block tariffs: Maintaining a count of how much of the consumption during a time band was consumed at different block rates
  • Load limiting: Capability to switch supply off when an ‘instantaneous use’ threshold is crossed.
  • Max demand registers: Capability to record the maximum demand in any 30 min (HH) period and during a configurable ‘peak’ period

Control of these features is effectively a complete re-write of the Usage Stats system, but with the Customer able to pre-set control parameters.

However, this is entirely separate from billing.

So there's sound reasoning as to why the meter readings are handled differently depending on what they are to be used for..
Userlevel 1
I'm not on smart meters as have a PV install and not 100% convinced it won't cause issues, that and there is no mobile phone signal where I live. However according to my usage graph I used 315325 Kwh of gas in February! That means they have a daily cost of gas worked out at £337.85!?!?
Thankfully the actual billing is correct as I only used 2194kwh. I'm assuming the graph is purely a tool for monitoring and not used in the billing process? Otherwise I'm going to have to re-mortgage my house to pay for last months gas....
Userlevel 7
Hi all,

Good to hear reports that this seems to have resolved itself. The team have been working hard behind the scenes to get this sorted so fingers crossed it's all good now.

Thank you for your patience!! As I mentioned before, we are going to be setting up and news and updates section on the forum soon to help manage these types of issues so keep an eye out for that. We will be sure to let you know once its set up.

Darran
Userlevel 1
mine too, lets hope it doesn't happen again
Userlevel 4
Yep, mine seems to be working fine now too.

Well done OVO.
Yes my daily usage is now working on both gas and electric.. see how long this lasts!!!
Userlevel 1
No data for gas being updated since 19th March! I agree I moved to Ovo not as the cheapest but as best service. THIS IS NOT BEST SERVICE. I have had issues with MyOVO Account from Switch going forward. Not happy at all! Please get this sorted. Even BG has a more reliable system than this!
Userlevel 1
Sadly the monthly looks like the daily data!
Userlevel 1
Yeah! The MyOvo app usage electricity daily details appear to be updated now -good start. Sadly no gas readings yet! 😔
Userlevel 1
As with all others I have had same issues from 19thMarch

1. Yes affecting both electric and gas
2. Yes i have a smart meter
3. Yes looking at the usage graphs on the Ovo app
4. Yes looking at the usage graphs on Ovo.com
Userlevel 4
@Darran_OVO

Just a quick FYI: I was referring to the website portal, not app. Your website offers so much more than the (iOS) app. :D

Be good to see your changes and it's great that you are being so reactive.
Userlevel 7
Hi @g4jnw Yep its not the first time we've had this feedback.

Another reason the forum is super useful to us to have this direct open conversation space with our customers.

Darran
Userlevel 1
well at last someone from OVO giving positive news, i personally have suggested this more than once. Better to be an announcement on the customers page or an email as not all customers will use the forum PLUS it should save phone calls to you, providing the info is accurate.
Userlevel 7
@Rooty

Again fair point and something we are working on at the moment. I'm hoping to do a bit of a restructure of the forum in the next week or two and will include an area where we can post updates around this type of stuff to ensure on the forum at least we are seen to be being more proactive.

I'll also pass on your feedback re the use of push notifications from the app to the product team that looks after that. Useful insight for them.

TBH, we thought this issue was resolved on Friday so didn't post anything at that point. However it's clear its not resolved hence the priority placed on this.

Darran
Userlevel 4
Well @Transparent I am also a techie. 😃 And @Darran_OVO I agree that multiple options are always good.

May I suggest however that pushing notifications when things go wrong, negate, for me at least to contact OVO at all. Of course, such action requires a public admission of a problem.

Pathways to notifying users:

o OVO Customer Account Home Page, where it constantly tells me "You're all up to date".

o Or instead of the OVO Customer Forum Home Page, "New OVO TV advert - Have you seen it?"

o Email (you know everyone's email account).

I could go on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Rooty,
As a fellow customer, I hear you.
I'm very much at the technical end of the spectrum, but I'm not on either Facebook or Twitter!

I do know that the same team who moderate this forum also work on the live feeds from Social Media where they have to respond very quickly.

And I also appreciate @Darran_OVO's point that none of the six Mods can see each other's Private Messages.

I actually have a preference for using email to contact companies if there's a problem. A message through online chat on the Help Centre gives me a time/date stamp of when I sent it. Moreover Customer Service staff can re-route it to someone who is in the best position to deal with it. They may already have staff members collating details about failed Usage Graphs, but I doubt I'd reach them if I tried phoning.

Userlevel 7
Hi @Rooty that's a fair point, we can always improve right. I'll make sure as mods we are offering options for routes into service where we need to as you are right, digital service channels are not for everyone.

We created the forum to support our customers, to save them having to wait on the phones to get through to ask straight forward questions that other users would be able to help with. It's not just about relieving the burden on us, its about helping customers get answers more quickly to the simple things that you'd usually queue for or wait a while for an email reply.

Again some customers prefer to go down those routes for service, we want to ensure we cater for all our customers and we aim to provide the best service we can.

@TedTW as per Tim's note above, we are aware of this and the Tech team have this a priority 1 on their task list to get this resolved asap.

Darran
Userlevel 4
I take on board what you say, Darran. I do. But to suggest using third-party data-mining companies as a sure method of getting in touch with your energy supplier ... strikes me as rather sad. I know it may be hard to believe, but not everyone uses Facebook and Twitter.

Anyway, now we all know: beyond chats and simple queries which you hope will be solved by other users (to relieve the burden on your own support staff), and you live in a world without social media: ALWAYS GET IN TOUCH WITH OVO BY PHONE.

Just so it's clear. :8
After the pause in readings in February, things seemed to settle down. However, I noticed last week that 1. the projection was not showing any more, and 2. there were no daily usage stats after the weekend. My bill came out on 24th as usual - now, I cannot get any information from the usage page whatsoever. The only way I can get any information is by checking the meter itself or the in-house unit, which will at least give me yesterday's usage. This does seem to have come about since a software update in February, and also seems to be getting a lot worse.
Userlevel 7
Hi @Rooty

The forum is there to allow customers to chat and support each other. We will of course step in as an when we need to, but if you need customer service support to help resolve something specific on your account, it's better and quicker for you to contact our customer service team.

If you send a private message to one of our forum mods, if they are not in on that day for example, no-one else can access their inbox as its private and we don't want customers sharing personal account information publicly on the forum, so this is the best and quickest way for you to get help and support if you have something more specific to your own account that needs looking into.

Hope that helps.

Darran