Solved

Why has my Direct Debit been increased to £1000?

• 9 February 2019
  • 8 replies

My Direct debit is now £1000 PM and my Debt is still increasing!

Alf Robinson
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 14 February 2019, 12:14

Hi @Alfier,

Sounds like you've had a Direct Debit review. After you’ve submitted a few meter readings, we might see that our predictions don’t match up with your actual energy use. If this is the case, then we know your energy account will be in debt or credit at the end of your contract. To avoid this, we update your Direct Debit amount and let you know, ahead of time. We also give you opportunities to update your Direct Debit amount yourself. There's more information about this process here.

However, this does sound like quite a hefty increase! I think there may have been an error here, either with your billing on with the system we use to review Direct Debits. Please get in touch with the team as soon as you can on 0330 303 5063 so they can look into this. They’re available 8am - 6pm Monday - Friday. Alternatively, you can send us a message to our Facebook or Twitter pages, or via webchat through our Help Centre. They'll be able to make sure your billing is correct and your payments are an appropriate reflection of your usage. If you have traditional meters (non-smart), make sure you have a meter reading ready too, as this will be handy for updating bills if necessary.

Thanks,
Nancy

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6

Hi @Alfier,

Sounds like you've had a Direct Debit review. After you’ve submitted a few meter readings, we might see that our predictions don’t match up with your actual energy use. If this is the case, then we know your energy account will be in debt or credit at the end of your contract. To avoid this, we update your Direct Debit amount and let you know, ahead of time. We also give you opportunities to update your Direct Debit amount yourself. There's more information about this process here.

However, this does sound like quite a hefty increase! I think there may have been an error here, either with your billing on with the system we use to review Direct Debits. Please get in touch with the team as soon as you can on 0330 303 5063 so they can look into this. They’re available 8am - 6pm Monday - Friday. Alternatively, you can send us a message to our Facebook or Twitter pages, or via webchat through our Help Centre. They'll be able to make sure your billing is correct and your payments are an appropriate reflection of your usage. If you have traditional meters (non-smart), make sure you have a meter reading ready too, as this will be handy for updating bills if necessary.

Thanks,
Nancy

I’ve just looked at my account and it says I need to change my direct debit from £96.00 to £47000 or I will Owe quarter of a million by the end of my contract.

i live in a 3 bed on my own so this seems a bit steep.

it also says they will up the direct debit automatically if they don’t hear from me but I can’t get through.

As you can imagine I’m worried sick so if someone from Ovo reads this please contact me before I Kiel over with worry thanks.

Userlevel 5

@Alan0138 I’ve moved your post over here, as it’s the same issue as showing here.

As you can see it’s very rare that this happens, but that doesn’t make it any less shocking!

As Nancy mentioned, I’d recommend getting in touch with the team.

Please get in touch with the team as soon as you can on 0330 303 5063 so they can look into this. They’re available 8am - 6pm Monday - Friday. Alternatively, you can send us a message to our Facebook or Twitter pages, or via webchat through our Help Centre. They'll be able to make sure your billing is correct and your payments are an appropriate reflection of your usage. If you have traditional meters (non-smart), make sure you have a meter reading ready too, as this will be handy for updating bills if necessary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That’s amazing @Alan0138 … I wondered who was managing to use up all the solar-energy we’ve been producing over the past few weeks! :sunglasses:

Unlike the question (above) which @Nancy_OVO answered last year, I suspect your issue has been caused by your Account being moved across to the new Billing Software which is being made “live” in the first half of this year.

It could just be that there was a data error on your account which totally confused the software that transferred your account across.

Alternatively there might be an error in the transfer-software itself… in which case I look forward to seeing similar posts to yours in the next few days! :relaxed:

Once all the Customer Accounts have migrated across, the problem will go away. So this will probably be the one and only time you are able to win a gold star for your level of indebtedness. :star:

Please do post here again if the problem persists.

Whilst we’re under Government imposed restrictions to deal with the Coronavirus Pandemic, it can be somewhat more difficult to get a telephone call through to OVO Customer Services. But if you send a message on webchat via the Help Centre, then it can easily be forwarded to an appropriately-knowledgeable member of staff working from home.

Hi l am very disturbed by the fact that l have been asked to increase my DD to £220 and after paying this for 2 months l am shocked to still see my statement at the amount of £760+ so in 2 months l have paid you £440 and still no change

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @chamy18 and welcome to the Forum.

You make a very good point!

And it’s similar to one posted over here yesterday by another customer. In his case it’s very clearly a software error. I think we can be certain that he isn’t required to pay £47,000 per month!

Just because the request to you is for a much smaller increase doesn’t mean that it’s not due to the same software fault. It just makes it more difficult for us to decide that is the case.

So we need to do two things:

A; I’ll ask the Moderator of the day, @Bradley_OVO to move this Topic across and merge it with the other one.

B; Please read through the published guidelines on how OVO calculate Direct Debits and see if you think the amount you’re paying is within those guidelines. This basically ensures that your Account is above £zero on the date that your contract ends.

If it seems that the DD request is inaccurate, or that the payments aren’t being properly applied, then you should send a message on webchat via the Help Centre with a request that they substantiate the calculations are correct.

You could include the URL of that other customer being asked for £47k as evidence that there are some problems with the software at the moment. That will prevent you receiving a standard reply based solely on what you’ve just been quoted.

Let us know if we can help further, and please fill out your Forum Profile page. Thanks

Okay thanks for the reply.

I know that l have been told to increase my DD which l have done l still cannot see how the current debt on my account will be zero by end of contract which l happen to not know the end date at the moment 

Userlevel 3

Great call @Transparent!

@chamy18  It would be great if you could give us an update to how you get one once a member of the OVO team has had a look at this.

All the best,