Solved

Switch away from OVO for gas was cancelled as I was told it was already switching - why?

• 22 November 2018
  • 6 replies

We decided to switch from OVO to Green Network Energy last Wednesday 14/11/18 for a better deal after being with OVO for 4 years+
All seemed to be progressing fine until I get email from GNE today to say the application has been rejected because my gas service is currently being moved to another supplier. When phoned and asked them who?? they said OVO, but I'm already with you!! Then I phoned you at customer service and got told GNE hadn't requested the gas switch. Phoned GNE again only to find out the switch is now cancelled.
So how did OVO and GNE manage to make such a mess of something which is supposed to be easy and hassle free ???
icon

Best answer by NinjaGeek 23 November 2018, 11:35

@Robert Massey I have been in a similar situation when I was moving from British Gas to Ecotricity. The gas was owned by British gas and were not allowing Ecotricity to take it over which delayed my transfer. This of course may be different and I would advise you speak with GNE and start the transfer again.
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
@Robert Massey I have been in a similar situation when I was moving from British Gas to Ecotricity. The gas was owned by British gas and were not allowing Ecotricity to take it over which delayed my transfer. This of course may be different and I would advise you speak with GNE and start the transfer again.
I switched my supplier from OVO to Scottish Power few weeks ago. The electricity is switched but there is some problem with gas. As Scottish Power said the OVO set some restrictions for switching gas to them. What could be the problem?
I switched my supplier from OVO to Scottish Power few weeks ago. The electricity is switched but there is some problem with gas. As Scottish Power said the OVO set some restrictions for switching gas to them. What could be the problem?
hey, the best option is to contact their customer service department? or they was unresponsive?
Userlevel 6

Have you managed to get this sorted, @Viki? I'm not sure what restrictions would've been set to stop you switching, if we were to raise an objection we would've stopped both supplies switching.

It may be worth reaching out to us on Facebook or Twitter, we'd be able to get to the bottom of this. In your message please confirm your name, DoB and full address.

If you don't use social media, our Help Centre has online chat!

Userlevel 1

I want to switch to British Gas but OVO insisted I clear my balance, so I did.

British Gas are still having a problem with the switch.

Seems OVO team are not up to speed again, one of the reasons I want to switch

Userlevel 7

Thanks for sharing, @bernie123 - shame to hear you’re off, but let’s get this thing sorted for you!

What have British Gas mentioned with regards to this ‘problem’? 

I know that if there’s a certain amount of debt on an account, OVO will ‘object’ to the switch away. This process happens in 3 waves.

1. Switch attempt one is blocked, the supplier will try again in around 10 days, giving you a chance to contact us to remove a block,
  2. Then if the supplier reattempts the switch, OVO shouldn’t block it. The objection should have been removed. If they do, British Gas will have a third and final switch attempt.
  3. As long as OVO doesn’t block all 3, the switch will go ahead, with the only impact being a delayed started date. 

Can you check in with British Gas on what stage of this we are at @bernie123 ?