I'm an Economy Energy customer - what do I need to know?

Userlevel 7

To update on what's going on, hopefully you'll now be aware, Economy Energy, has ceased trading and Ofgem (the GB energy regulator) has decided that OVO Energy will be taking over all Economy Energy customers energy supply.

We added lots of useful information to our website to help answers some of the common questions we've already been seeing coming through.

If you have a question about the transition, please check our website here first and if your question is not covered, please post below so that we can have a look and let know what happens next.

Here are a couple of the most common questions we've seen so far:

What's happening with my old contract and rates?
You are being switched to OVO’s standard variable plan, Simpler Energy. You’ll find full details on your energy rates in our welcome pack, which is being sent soon.

How long will the process of switching over to OVO take?
The migration process will take around 21 days for dual fuel accounts. Once your account is set up, you'll receive a welcome letter with everything you need to know about your new account with OVO.

What's happening with my credit balance?
Once your account has been transferred to OVO, we’ll review your credit balance and provide further details. There is another topic here that has a bit more information on this.

What about my Warm Home Discount?
Don’t worry, we’ll be honouring all Warm Home Discount payments to all eligible customers. More details will follow.

Hopefully for most of the customers it will be smooth transition, but there is a lot to do, so please bear with us as we navigate through moving you to OVO Energy.

Updated on 25/2/2020

167 replies

Hi, I use storage heaters and use a lot of electricity over night using economy 7 but your Simpler Energy plan doesn't include economy 7. How soon can I switch supplier (Or tariff) before I'm vastly over charged for using so much electricity at night? I use around 7-800 kWh in winter months and since you don't offer Economy 7 on this tariff, I will be charged over £130 just for electricity used over night...
Both phone lines are down or not accepting calls.

Very worrying...
Now that my account has been taken over by OVO I'd like to speak to an advisor to discuss the way forward
the phone number is far too expensive how can I make contact ?
I was experiencing a number of problems with Economy Energy. They were estimating my electricity usage and because of this increased my monthly direct debits for gas and electricity by over £100 per month without any prior notice. Is there anything I need to do?
I have been forced to use OVO as my supplier went out of business. I am paying higher rates than I was and that are available and had been told that I needed to wait to switch. I have been asked to put my meter readings in now but the website doesn't display any pages on my laptop or phone. Needless to say I have now switched to another supplier, why would I do anything else?
I am a new customer from economy energy. You have sent an e-mail requesting a meter reading before 31/01/19. But my OVO will not let me send them before 05/02/19. could this be updated so I can give you the readings.
I have been transferred from Economy Energy, you are now requesting meter readings however your online account is not opening up any pages, nobody answers your bloomin phones so what the heck do I do now?

Regards

Disgruntled Person
Acc No 7023845
Hi OVO,

I left Economy Energy on the 01st Oct 2018 for EDF and they still haven’t paid me my credit balance of £280.00...!

I did chase this payment up with Economy Energy on 31st Dec 2018 and they said it would be processed ‘within 28 days’. I still haven’t had my credit balance paid into my account.

I’m not happy,can you help..?

MS
Hi, I've recently been ported over from from the now liquidated economyenergy. I have received a number of gentle nudges to submit my meter readings but the web interface does not allow me to?
You have taken over as supplier due to the previous supplier going bust.. & keep requesting meter reads

We are on smart meters, what do we need to do?
These are the rates I'm being shown for the Simpler Energy tariff:

Electricity: 0.1567p/kWh
Standing charge: 0.2038p/day

Gas: 0.0354p/kWh
Standing charge: 0.2459p/day

Are these ridiculously cheap or do you mean Pounds, not pence?
Userlevel 7
@Jon Croft @Higz @albyk as you might have guessed we've been swamped answering queries from Economy Energy customers all this week. We're doing our best to get to every calling or messaging our Customer Care team. MyOVO and the app won't be fully active yet. It's the same for anyone joining us, we need up to 6 weeks from the supply start date, to confirm your opening meter reading and your other meter details, before you'll have full MyOVO access. You should be able to use your OVO ID (in your welcome email) or email address to set a password and log in. It will take you to an 'Onboarding timeline' which includes an option to submit your opening mete readings. Don't worry if you can't submit them, we'll estimate from the readings you gave EE.

@mcraig @PamHam we need a bit of time to be sent the info from Economy Energy about your billing. We won't be able to amend previous statements as we're just your new supplier, but we can certainly advise you over the next month when the dust has settled and we have an account fully up and running.

@ClaireS we'll be honouring that Warm Home Discount payment if you were accepted by EE. Same as with mcraig we just need some time to get your account created.

Great to have you all on the Forum guys!
Userlevel 7
@Rosemorran we don't take on gas-only customers, but we have the means of supplying you OK. If you have a smart meter, this can be tricky. Why not choose the one supplier for both your gas and electricity. Once you've had your first bill, you'll be able to choose another supplier for your gas, although we'd love for you to stay!

@BSmith @102784870 OVO have been super busy helping Economy Energy customers all this week. Not a good time to contact us and we're doing everything to help all of those calling in ASAP. Don't forget this FAQ has loads of tips and there's lots of former EE customers in this thread to hit up for advice!
@Jon Croft @Higz @albyk as you might have guessed we've been swamped answering queries from Economy Energy customers all this week. We're doing our best to get to every calling or messaging our Customer Care team. MyOVO and the app won't be fully active yet. It's the same for anyone joining us, we need up to 6 weeks from the supply start date, to confirm your opening meter reading and your other meter details, before you'll have full MyOVO access. You should be able to use your OVO ID (in your welcome email) or email address to set a password and log in. It will take you to an 'Onboarding timeline' which includes an option to submit your opening mete readings. Don't worry if you can't submit them, we'll estimate from the readings you gave EE.

@mcraig @PamHam we need a bit of time to be sent the info from Economy Energy about your billing. We won't be able to amend previous statements as we're just your new supplier, but we can certainly advise you over the next month when the dust has settled and we have an account fully up and running.

@ClaireS we'll be honouring that Warm Home Discount payment if you were accepted by EE. Same as with mcraig we just need some time to get your account created.

Great to have you all on the Forum guys!

Y
So can I top up using my old economy energy account? If not can you tell me what I need to do.
Hello Ovo,
I've been advised to post here. As of today, you appear to be powering my home. Is it true that I will be able to switch supplier/plan as of tomorrow. I was thinking about potentially changing when the first statement comes in - just something to keep in mind, no hard feelings!
Having been moved to OVO energy after Economy energy ceased trading am i able to now go on a price comparison site to search for a better deal and where can i find the costs of the tarrifs i have now been placed on.
Hi. I got the keys to my new house two weeks ago. The previous owner was with Economy Energy and he received paperwork to say that OVO were the new energy suppliers for the house. I’ve tried to register with OVO in their ‘moving in’ section of their webpage, but when I put my address in, it says that OVO doesn’t supply the energy for my house. Why is this? I can’t register or submit my meter readings from the date I took ownership. I’m in limbo at the mo, as I don’t know if I’m actually an OVO customer or not and have no control over any tariff I may be on. I tried to call them, but was told on the phone that it would be at least 40 minutes before my call was answered. Any help would be appreciated.
need to know account details etc
transfered from electric economy energy have received a letter saying you would be in contact and have received nothing since
Hi jImbeal,

If you haven't heard from Ovo Energy then giving them a call will allow you to ask your questions and discuss your options. You wont need an account number, the agent will ask you for you postcode if you don't have your account number.

After passing security you will be able to access your account details, you can update your contact preferences and find out how to access your online account.
can I still log into my economy energy account and give a reading through there?
I have today received an email from OVO requesting my meter readings, no letter of introduction, no nothing, so I was surprised. I tried to call them to no avail so I emailed and it may take 3-5 days for a response. Having looked through this forum I can now see what has happened but when did EE go? I don't remember anything in the news or in the press.
OVO energy took over my account, but I cannot give meter readings, as smart meters installed by economy energy, stopped working, are flashing screens or blank! Anybody have this experience, what was the outcome of not being able to provide meter readings?
Michael
Economy energy just took another direct debit payment (01/02/19). Do I have to cancel this direct debit? Does the money taken go into my OVO account?
Userlevel 7
@mda00njd this credit and your Direct Debit will all be transferred to OVO, so need to cancel, and no money lost!

@miwitts MyOVO and the app won't be fully active yet. It's the same for anyone joining us, we need up to 6 weeks from the supply start date, to confirm your opening meter reading and your other meter details, before you'll have full MyOVO access. You should be able to use your OVO ID (in your welcome email) or email address to set a password and log in. It will take you to an 'Onboarding timeline' which includes an option to submit your opening mete readings. Don't worry if you can't submit them, we'll estimate from the readings you gave EE.

Here's the link: http://ovoener.gy/myovo

Lots of comments here about EE, please see this topic for Economy Energy - OVO FAQs