Solved

Couple separating - what happens to the OVO account?

• 26 May 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi, my wife and I are in the process of separating and I'm wondering what happens with our OVO accounts when I move out. As the existing account is in my name will my wife be able to take it over from me (together with the current balance), or will it have to be closed, the balance paid of and my wife set up a new account in her name?
icon

Best answer by Mattj3135 27 May 2017, 02:37

Hi, my wife and I are in the process of separating and I'm wondering what happens with our OVO accounts when I move out. As the existing account is in my name will my wife be able to take it over from me (together with the current balance), or will it have to be closed, the balance paid of and my wife set up a new account in her name?

Hi @hopperson welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to learn that you're separating and need to remove yourself as the account holder.

It's not as straight forward as we would hope for you to do this; having looked through the ovo help section the closest info I can find anywhere near this topic which you can find here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payments-and-statements/statements/can-i-add-someone-to-my-account.html - suggests you can only add people to your account.

My suggestion would be to make contact with the OVO customer care team and let them know the date you will no longer be responsible for the fuel bills and that you'd like to close the account. Your wife can then open an account in her name to commence from the same date as yours ends.

If you explain your situation and that you're wife will be opening a new account it may help you, as I'm unsure whether you're on a fixed contract with exit fees so will be worth checking this.

Please do let us know how you get on with the OVO customer care team, there number can be found in the above link, alternatively you can contact OVO through a range of online platforms, if you contact them online please include your full name, address, date of birth, OVO account number and a brief summary of what you've posted here one of the team will be happy to help you.

Have a lovely bank holiday!
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6

Hi @hopperson welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to learn that you're separating and need to remove yourself as the account holder.

It's not as straight forward as we would hope for you to do this; having looked through the ovo help section the closest info I can find anywhere near this topic which you can find here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payments-and-statements/statements/can-i-add-someone-to-my-account.html - suggests you can only add people to your account.

My suggestion would be to make contact with the OVO customer care team and let them know the date you will no longer be responsible for the fuel bills and that you'd like to close the account. Your wife can then open an account in her name to commence from the same date as yours ends.

If you explain your situation and that you're wife will be opening a new account it may help you, as I'm unsure whether you're on a fixed contract with exit fees so will be worth checking this.

Please do let us know how you get on with the OVO customer care team, there number can be found in the above link, alternatively you can contact OVO through a range of online platforms, if you contact them online please include your full name, address, date of birth, OVO account number and a brief summary of what you've posted here one of the team will be happy to help you.

Have a lovely bank holiday!
Thanks Mattj3135! That's a great help and at least I know where to go now.... Have a good Bank Holiday weekend too!
Userlevel 7

Hi @hopperson

Yes @Mattj3135 has got this one down to a T. We can easily close down the OVO account and create a new account. Our Care team are a good option, or you could PM me all the details instead.

Just so others can find this topic, I've tweaked the title and added some tags.

Tim