Solved

Anyone else had a problem with Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) not joining WiFi network?

• 14 April 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
This is more of a 'technical breakdown' than a problem/question.

I noticed that today, from around 13:30, my IHD lost its connection to my WiFi (well, the realtime datafeed had stopped and the wifi symbol on the IHD had disappeared). The IHD was still connected to the smart meters though, so was atleast still displaying some data.

Initially I tried re-associating the IHD with my WiFi, but this had no joy, but I could see the device on the network, I could ping it, so I know it was connected, so thought I'd do some digging to see if it was an issue with the IHD, or ovo...

So first task (as I could atleast ping it) was to just double check the WiFi connection, so I did a debug output from my wireless controller against the client MAC of the IHD, and could see it associating just fine, it wasn't dropping the connection or timing out.

Next up a packet capture, and first off I could see the following:

Somewhat odd that it was continuously performing ntp queries, but I have noticed that (previously) at midnight the totals, realtime consumption amounts, etc, would all reset at midnight, and be correct, but since the clocks changed, it would reset at 1am instead, and consumption amounts have been out by about an hour as far as the IHD is concerned. So, possibly related? No... A quick check to see what time-c.nist.gov was returning in the packets shows the time is waaaaay out:

So as a quick fix on my side, I've added a host override for time-c.nist.gov to resolve against my own ntp time server, and since doing that, the IHD has connected fine, and is now feeding realtime consumption back to ovo. As a test, I disabled the override and again the IHD failed to transmit realtime data, disconnected, and got in a loop querying time-c.nist.gov.

So, is this something which needs raising to the manufacturer of the IHD? Or is the ntp configuration something you're able to remotely update? From what I can tell, the entire nist.gov ntp stack is having issues, so would it not be more reliable to use pool.ntp.org instead?

http://www.pool.ntp.org/scores/129.6.15.30
icon

Best answer by Gupster 15 April 2018, 07:26

Unsure if my issue is the same but mine fell off the Wi-fi too. Mine isn’t showing a Wi-fi signal on the screen or showing as attached from the router. I’ve tried reconnecting it using both wps and manual password entering. The latter courses the box to crash when saving the password!

Called the cs team and they say there is a known issue. They stated it was linked to live data not being displayed because of an issue on the box. I wasn’t put through to anyone technical so not overly convinced my issue is the same. They say the tech team are looking at it and I should get a response in 10-14 working days! As that’s potentially nearly a month I guess I will just have to wait and see. I was told it might been they need to send a new ihd out.

I’ve got the latest ihd, we only had it around a month ago.
View original

5 replies

Unsure if my issue is the same but mine fell off the Wi-fi too. Mine isn’t showing a Wi-fi signal on the screen or showing as attached from the router. I’ve tried reconnecting it using both wps and manual password entering. The latter courses the box to crash when saving the password!

Called the cs team and they say there is a known issue. They stated it was linked to live data not being displayed because of an issue on the box. I wasn’t put through to anyone technical so not overly convinced my issue is the same. They say the tech team are looking at it and I should get a response in 10-14 working days! As that’s potentially nearly a month I guess I will just have to wait and see. I was told it might been they need to send a new ihd out.

I’ve got the latest ihd, we only had it around a month ago.
Userlevel 3
Yeah it does sound the same, oddly the Wifi indicator on the IHD doesn't display until it gets a reliable time source, yet the unit will still be connected to the Wifi. As for it restarting when you try and rejoin, it does do this. Mine's the same when I re-associate it with my WiFi network, as soon as I hit save, the unit restarts itself.

I'm not sure if your router will show it, but if you are able to see what clients are connected, you should still see the IHD connected even though the IHD itself shows no Wifi signal.

I've done some more digging with my unit since my initial post, and I don't think the timesource configuration is something that ovo can update remotely, so you really are at the mercy of these time servers being fixed to get live data to work again...

A bit more info on the nist.giv timeservers shows it's mainly the Maryland stack which is down

https://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

It's just a shame that the IHD's are hardcoded against one specific time source, but according to that site (if I'm reading it correctly), it could be that they're doing maintenance or something as it seems they show the service as down from 13th April until 19th April? So may be back up by Thursday/Friday...
Thanks for the update. I don't have the ability on my router to override the address without spinning up a local DNS server, which if this looks like it will come back later this week seems like it's not worthwhile. It does seem odd they've not used pool.ntp.org but then you'd expect a government system to be pretty stable!
Userlevel 3
True, it could just be that cluster is in a maintenance window, I've hit the pool nist.gov address and had no failures out of about a hundred or so queries, so just begs the question why the IHDs are built without the pool address being utilised and are using a single endpoint instead, and curious to know what other providers who use these same displays are also having these issues, or what they're telling customers...
I got home yesterday and noticed the Wi-fi was back in. The app shows data from around 1600 yesterday. The status page though still says it’s down.

Guess it came back up early. I wonder if the device can do over the air software updates.