Green Energy - Calling all OVO Greener Energy Customers!

Show first post

64 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
I'm a huge fan of the OVO Foundation, it did contribute to my initial decision to join OVO and I do contribute to it although a small amount. I'm a big fan of organisations supporting good causes and OVO are supporting causes that are a little different than the standard charity of the year which is what most organisations go for which I really like, you're thinking outside the box and trying to be forward thinking and I can really get behind that.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Q7: Yes, I was previously with Good Energy on a similar tariff in terms of features. However, I wanted a fixed tariff as 1) in general terms, when comparing usage by cost on a monthly basis, it makes for an easier comparison and 2) I like to be able to budget for the year with as few surprises as possible.

Good Energy didn't offer a fixed tariff (I'm sure that's still the case) and OVO were simply the best green option I found The mobile app's ability to monitor usage in real time from the smart meter swung it for me.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Q8: I'd heard about the OVO foundation, but to be honest, after signing up with OVO, I'd forgotten about it and never really looked into it until now. On quick glance it's pretty impressive on the face of it, when you offer to match any monthly donation.

While I personally would consider setting up a donation, I understand these schemes are difficult to balance. As soon as you start matching contributions, then effectively all your customers are already donating to fund that pot of money, but that donation could be regarded as 'hidden' from those customers who could have strong charitable preferences elsewhere.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, making it more prominent as part of the product seems to be quite popular now. i.e. would it better to say 'by being an OVO customer, you're already contributing to the OVO foundation' and giving the user a clue as to how much as part of the tariff ?- a bit like the 1p from every product sold goes to a specific charity type campaign. I wonder if that would be positive marketing or put people off? It would certainly give the Foundation more prominence.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Question 9:
If you could make everyone in the world do one thing today to help protect the environment, what would it be and why?

@BrizzleLass, @Deanohol, @geoffenator, @SianiAnni, @Warmtoffee, @PeterS
Userlevel 1
Badge
Q9: Get everyone to go carless for one day - work from home, walk etc. That's probably not practically possible, so I'd get everyone to reduce their heating thermostat by 1 degree.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I'd have everyone switch to environmentally friendly products, handwashes/detergents etc. This is a real pet peeve of mine that people wash so much poison down the drain every day.
Userlevel 3
Stop everyone from flying anywhere.
Userlevel 1
I switched to Ovo because of recommendations from family who found you in Which, and I switched to your green tariff to help the environment. I haven't had a green tariff previously.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
And for your final question in this round of research!

Question 10:
When you purchased 100% renewable energy, which of the following best describes what you thought that meant? Why?

- You are playing an active role in fighting carbon emissions, and making our air cleaner for all.
- For every unit of electricity you use, we make sure a unit from a renewable source is produced and put on the grid.

@BrizzleLass, @PeterS, @Deanohol, @geoffenator, @SianiAnni, @Warmtoffee

Thanks to you all for your involvement and feedback. We will now take some time to review all comments. We might come back to you if we need clarification on anything, but in the meantime keep a look out for any new research requests!!

Darran
Userlevel 3
Badge
9: Ask everyone to stay at home, preferably in bed. If that's not practical then if they had a shower or bath yesterday, don't have one today.
Userlevel 3
Badge
10: the latter: to demonstrate that there is a demand for such products and, over the longer term, encourage more large-scale suppliers to join the market to drive the price down and displace the non-nonrenewables.
Userlevel 4
Badge
A10. My understanding was and still is that it's both of these things. I think Ovo explain this really well in the tariff explanation, how it works, what it actually means for you as the customer and Ovo as the provider.
Userlevel 1
10, the latter, though the former is also a bonus.
Userlevel 2
Mainly the latter. The extra premium goes to the producers - wind farm owners, hydro producers.
Looking at gridwatch at the moment, we have a long way to go to catch up with Spain and Portugal.
I live in the country but would rather have wind turbines on my horizon and nearer than a nuclear power station within 200 miles.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close