Solved

Why have OVO taken £255 from my bank when Im not a customer.

• 3 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Checked my bank today and OVO have taken £255. I hadnt even heard of them before today!? I am an EDF customer!!!!

icon

Best answer by jlevy 4 January 2022, 17:56

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Updated on 04/01/2022 by Blastoise186

In this particular case, the OP has confirmed that the payment was legitimate as it was to pay off another bill. However, the advice in this thread holds true in any case.

Hi @jlevy ,

That’s odd, OVO can’t just randomly take money out of your bank account for no reason as it’s impossible. As a forum volunteer, I wouldn’t be able to investigate this myself, but perhaps I can jog your memory and help you figure this out.

Have you ever been an OVO member, or a member/customer of any supplier in this list:

• OVO
  • Boost (formerly OVO Pay As You Go)
  • SSE
  • Atlantic (aka SSE Atlantic)
  • SSE Southern Electric
  • Economy Energy
  • SSE Swalec
  • SSE Scottish Hydro
  • Spark Energy
  • Cardiff Energy Supply

If so, your account may have been with OVO at some point and it’s possible that either you had a Final Bill that needed to pay off a debit balance, or that £255 was related to a debt. It’s impossible for OVO to take any money out of your bank account if you’ve never been a customer of ANY supplier in OVO Group (primarily OVO Energy, Boost Power, SSE and Spark Energy) or suppliers that OVO took on via the Ofgem Supplier of Last Resort process like Economy Energy.

If it turns out the payment was taken in error, you will be entitled to a full refund and I think OVO can make arrangements to help prevent it happening again. It may take a few days to investigate this and if the refund gets issued, it should be with you within 10 working days of approval.

The Support Team are back in the office tomorrow, so you’ll be able to get further help with this issue. Probably the best option would be to call 0330 303 5063 . If you get asked for an account number and don’t have one, simply press the hash # key to skip that step you’ll be put through to someone.

Userlevel 7

Happy New Year, @jlevy -

Sorry to hear your year has started with this unexpected payment to OVO. As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186  mentioned it’s worth checking that this payment wasn’t linked to a previous account you might have had with OVO Energy or one of our sister suppliers. I’d also recommend checking in with EDF to check there hasn’t been an erroneous transfer of your supply without your request.

Whilst rare it is possible that your bank details have been used fraudulently to create an account with OVO. If this is the case we can of course make sure your supply returns to your chosen supplier and return any payments taken in error. We’d also advise you contacting your bank who can help ensure your details are secure.

Hope this helps get things back on track - Do pop back and let us know when you get to the bottom of things, this can really help others who might be in a similar position in future. 

Happy New Year, @jlevy -

Sorry to hear your year has started with this unexpected payment to OVO. As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186  mentioned it’s worth checking that this payment wasn’t linked to a previous account you might have had with OVO Energy or one of our sister suppliers. I’d also recommend checking in with EDF to check there hasn’t been an erroneous transfer of your supply without your request.

Whilst rare it is possible that your bank details have been used fraudulently to create an account with OVO. If this is the case we can of course make sure your supply returns to your chosen supplier and return any payments taken in error. We’d also advise you contacting your bank who can help ensure your details are secure.

Hope this helps get things back on track - Do pop back and let us know when you get to the bottom of things, this can really help others who might be in a similar position in future. 

Soooo sorry. Mistake on my part. It was partner paying her fathers bill and we hadnt communicated!!

Again, sorry!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No worries! Thanks for letting us know. :)

If any of the comments in this thread answered what would have been the question anyway, feel free to mark it as a Best Answer - especially as it might help other members looking for advice.