Solved

Why have I seen an out-of-line daily gas usage figure since moving from SSE to OVO?

  • 4 January 2022
  • 5 replies
  • 140 views

Hi All,

I was also transferred over from SSE. I’ve just checked my usage and seen that Ovo claims I used  974.82 kwh of gas on December 10. My normal daily usage is 40 to 50 kwh. This looks like a clear system error to me but this thread shows that other customers are also being hit with very high random usage figures. I’ve emailed Ovo asking for an explanation. I will update here when I hear back from them. 

PS. I’ve had a smart meter for three years - I thought they were supposed to avoid these types of mega errors?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 4 January 2022, 18:01

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @OhNoOvo ,

It is true that Smart Meters can help prevent billing issues, but no system is completely bulletproof and things can break no matter how hard you try. That’s why OVO’s Support Team is able to step in and intervene if they need to. Your figures will almost certainly be corrected once the team have had chance to take a look.

It’s worth noting that if this is only on the Usage page, it won’t affect the bills as the billing is based on the Meter Readings. You can check the history using the OVO Energy app. As long as those match up to what you expect, you’re good to go as-is.

 

Sorry to hear you’ve also noticed an out-of-line usage figure since moving from SSE to OVO, @OhNoOvo.

 

As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has mentioned we’ve got a dedicated SSE migration team who are on hand to help sort out any teething issues with your new OVO accounts. You can reach this team on 0345 071 7972 - lines are open 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.

 

Do pop back with an update when you hear back from the team - this can really help other members joining us from SSE who might be having similar concerns.

 

Hope the team can get things back on track ASAP. :slight_smile:

 

 

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear you’ve also noticed an out-of-line usage figure since moving from SSE to OVO, @OhNoOvo.

 

As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has mentioned we’ve got a dedicated SSE migration team who are on hand to help sort out any teething issues with your new OVO accounts. You can reach this team on 0345 071 7972 - lines are open 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.

 

Do pop back with an update when you hear back from the team - this can really help other members joining us from SSE who might be having similar concerns.

 

Hope the team can get things back on track ASAP. :slight_smile:

 

I’ve had the same but with Electric. For some reason the final SSE bill was an estimated reading although I have a smart meter. Sent correct reading once the ovo account was set up.

The first 5 days were showing about 50kwh per day whereas our average usage is 12 per day.  It says we used more in one day than the first week of this month.

SSE was paying £50-60 per month and first 5 days with Ovo and they think I’ve used £40 !!

Did an online chat the other day and was told this is “within industry tolerances”.  Obviously an issue somewhere .  Have put in a complaint online now and waiting to see what they say about it.

Userlevel 1

You are lucky, mine is £250 for 23 days which is nearly double what I pay for 100 days.

Userlevel 7

Sounds like that estimated final reading on your SSE bill might be skewing your usage figures there slightly, @cymglo which is a slightly different issue to that experienced by @Golferbell.

 

If SSE didn’t receive a reading from your smart meter around the date that your account with them closed (this could be down to a temporary communication issues) they’d have calculated an estimated closing read based on your previous readings. As you’ve now checked the reading and confirmed this estimated reading was actually lower than it should have been, this means the final amount charged on this SSE bill was also underestimated.

 

As a result of this, the usage figures shown since your account has been moved over to OVO are slightly higher than they should be as they include some of the energy which you used in the time before your final SSE bill was issued. As your price per unit of energy hasn’t changed this won’t impact your overall charges but might mean your initial months usage data shown on your online account doesn’t accurately reflect what was used. It’s important to mention here that these usage graphs should be considered a guide and may differ slightly to your actual billed amount. If you haven’t already I’d recommend checking the reading used on your opening OVO statement as this should match the final meter reading shown on your SSE bill. If you’re still worried that the opening reading doesn’t line up to the final SSE reading, we’d recommend getting in touch with the dedicated SSE migration team on  0345 071 7972 - Lines are open 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.

 

@Golferbell - We’ve been advised by the team that there are a number of Economy 7 smart meters which have experienced an issue following the move from SSE to OVO. Unfortunately this has led to all your energy showing (incorrectly) as peak usage which is reflected in the higher charges currently showing on your account. I want to reassure you that this technical issue is currently being fixed and you should receive a communication shortly (if you haven’t already) explaining how your charges have been recalculated based on your accurate peak/off-peak consumption pattern.

 

Once again I’m so sorry for any undue stress or concern that’s been caused by these account migration issues. We’re working hard to make sure the process is as smooth as possible so thank you both for raising any issues with us here - Do keep us updated once you’ve spoken to the Support Team too, this really helps others with similar questions who might find this thread in future. :thumbsup:

 

 

Reply