Solved

Switching to OVO but can't take my opening meter readings as the screen's blank on Ampy 5235A Single phase watt hour meter - Help!

• 7 February 2018
  • 8 replies

Just had the go ahead for the switch from Co-Op to OVO . Went to record readings from the above electric meter and the screen is blank .
I have phoned around supply companies without success to resolve problem .
At this point I can't give final reading to Co-Op or first reading to OVO . Has anybody got advice please .
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 13 February 2018, 16:46

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
If the reading isn’t appearing on the screen, there might be an issue with your meter that needs to be fixed. I’d suggest speaking to Co-Op as they’ll be able to advise further on this @Willo60.

Lucy
Lucy thanks for advice . The only thing that might get a negative response from Co-op is I am moving my custom and they don't have an obligation to replace a broken meter .
Userlevel 5
If you’re still on supply with them and your meter is faulty, they’ll need to offer you advice on this @Willo60 - best of luck!

Lucy
Lucy ,
May not of explained properly. Got an email Feb 7th from Ovo to say they are now supplying my energy . That's when I went to check readings .

Thanks

Willo60
Userlevel 7
Badge

Updated on 23/07/21 by Jess_OVO

Great news about your switch to OVO - sounds like you’re well on the way to joining us but might have trouble sending over the opening meter readings.

First things first, it’s worth checking that you can’t access the reading by pressing any buttons on the meter (often the LCD screen may need to be ‘woken up’ before showing the meter reading). If you’ve tried this and still can’t take a reading not to worry, we can estimate your opening reading and this will match the closing reading which your previous supplier has to use, so you won’t be danger of being double charged for any usage. We’ll base the estimated reading on your Estimated Annual Consumption figure, so it should be in-line with your previous readings.

A traditional meter that can’t be read manually is classed as a faulty meter which has to be replaced by your current supplier. Once you’ve switched to OVO, reach out to our Support Team to schedule in a meter replacement - we’d advise taking the opportunity to upgrade to a smart meter (free of charge), which would mean you’d no longer need to take your readings manually - along with other great benefits!

You’ll receive an opening statement from us within 6 weeks of your switch date. It’s worth checking the estimated opening meter reading we’ve used here - if it seems really out-of-line to your previous readings we can apply to get this changed through a ‘Read Dispute’ process - although it does need to be outside of a certain tolerance and the new reading will be agreed with your previous supplier.

Hope we can get these teething issues sorted quickly and you enjoy joining us on our Plan Zero journey!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 5
Lucy ,
May not of explained properly. Got an email Feb 7th from Ovo to say they are now supplying my energy . That's when I went to check readings .

Thanks

Willo60

Ah right! In that case, I’d advise you give our Customer Care team a call (their details can be found here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers) or drop ou team a message on Facebook or Twitter.

Lucy
Lucy and Tim ,

Thanks for your help . I've emailed and requested a replacement meter with details of our account number and the reason why we can't submit an electric reading . Awaiting details now of next step .

Regards

Willo60
Let us know how you get on, @Willo60 :)

Emma