Solved

Switched from Boost PAYG to OVO pay monthly, now off supply?

Hi,

Recently moved into a new home and the previous owners had a payg meter with boost. I have asked them to swap to pay monthly with ovo and after a few weeks, I got confirmation yesterday.

However, the house has no electric at all now. We still had a balance on the top up meter which they said will transfer over to the pay monthly and I have had the pay monthly contract sent.

Can't call them as they don't work weekends.

Any ideas

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 29 August 2022, 11:22

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @JoeTindle ,

I’d give the live chat a go ASAP here if you can. The live chat is open until 1pm today.

I would but live chat just gives a message saying they're exceptionally busy and to call

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Don’t give up, there’s apparently 207 people in the queue but as long as you can get in there, you will get through eventually. It might just take a while.

For now, try topping up the PAYG meters and get back on supply. I think that’s likely to work but don’t put a huge amount on for now, maybe just £5 or £10? If that goes through and you’re able to restore the supply, go ahead and put a larger top-up on so that you can get through a few days.

Userlevel 7

Updated on 08/09/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Did you manage to sort this, @JoeTindle? I’m sorry to hear your meters disconnected when moved to OVO credit from Boost. This is definitely not supposed to happen! Smart meters have a ‘non disconnection period’ over the weekends. See this Boost Power guide here for more info

It’s tricky to give too much advice as it depends what the situation is on the ground. Topping up may add credit and allow you to reconnect the supply as long as the top up cards are still connected to the meter with OVO. Either way, speaking to OVO’s Support team was the best advice in this situation if OVO supply you. If it’s still Boost, contact them here.  

No, still not sorted. Day 4 now .

Calling states bank holiday they are open other than the odd ones such as Christmas but today no calls have gone through.

Absolute farce

Userlevel 7

So sorry to hear this, @JoeTindle - I’m really hoping you’ve been able to speak to OVO’s support team by now. Our team will be able to remotely change your smart meter if it’s still in a prepayment setting when it shouldn’t be. As it’s an emergency, it’s best to call us directly on: 0330 303 5063.

Hi all,

Is there an emergency out of hours number as right now I'm off supply this has only just happened after being transferred to OVO, now I know this is an issue for OVO as its a meter issue not a DNO issue they don't supply or deal with meters 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Deadpool3409 ,

Few questions here:

1. Where have you transferred to OVO from?
  2. How were you transferred?
  3. When were you transferred?
  4. What payment type do you use?
  5. Do you have Smart Meters?

I need to know this so I can figure out any potential options. You can try the Live Chat at https://help.ovoenergy.com but there might not be anyone free.

I have a smart meter I was swapped over from boost the swap was requested by me I was transferred 2 days ago

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… The transfer should have switched you to Credit Mode. Try activating Emergency Credit for now and contact OVO in the morning - they’ll be able to fix this for you.

Trust me I've tried all of that and still nothing is there an emergency out of hours number ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The best I’ve got is this: 0330 175 9669

Userlevel 7

Hey @Deadpool3409,

Sorry for the issues you’ve had.

Is this all sorted now?

When a customer transfers from Boost to OVO, this is dealt with at Boosts end. They should have changed your meter to credit (pay monthly). It sounds like this didn’t happen, so for the time being, you should still be able to top up if it’s still in pay as you go mode.

Here are some similar threads that you may find useful:

Keep us posted with how you get on!

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me please, I requested nearly 3 weeks ago to move from Boost payg to Ovo monthly direct debit, boost said they would sort this out for me and quoted me £188 per month for both gas and electric, I still haven’t received and confirmation to say this is in the process of changing over, I called boost back up to be told a case had been opened but that’s all they could tell me. I really need this sorting as I get paid monthly and can’t afford to keep topping up weekly, I have a child of 2 In the house that I need to make my priority and keep warm. Could someone please get back to me with an update of what’s happening.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Gembrad88 ,

I’m really sorry it’s taking longer than expected, but unfortunately we’re unable to access your account from here. This forum is mostly patrolled by volunteers who can’t access internal systems.

You might want to try giving Boost another nudge.

Hi i switched from British gas to ovo on the 24th December but british gas have left my meter in prepayment mode and i need to switch it asap before my electric goes off

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sounds like a failure of British Gas to me. Protocol states that Smart Meters in Prepayment Mode should ALWAYS be switched to Credit Mode during a supplier switch so that you stay on-supply even if the new supplier can’t connect to the meter. This isn’t OVO’s fault, but that of British Gas.

However, you might be able to get OVO’s help. You’ll need to ping the Social Media Team on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ovoenergy. There’s an emergency team monitoring the account. Tell them a forum volunteer sent you and give them the link to this thread.

Otherwise, you’d have to wait until Wednesday before I can get anyone’s attention myself

Hope they can as I'm now emergency credit

I don't who sorted it but all is good gas and electricity is on credit can sleep now 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice. Just make sure it stays in Credit Mode, assuming you’re on a Pay Monthly tariff.

Hi all

Totally nightmare.  Switched from boost pay as you go to OVO pay monthly due to topping up issues (never worked)

Had email yesterday from boost saying switched had been done.   Got home from work yesterday at 7pm and NO POWER.  Then sent the next 3 hours of the phone to boost and ovo last night.  Boost referred me to OVO and OVO referred me to boost, then they both referred us to the national grid who said nothing to do with them.  Total calls 15, phone put down from there end 6 times, told nothing they could do 4 times and the simply hung up.  So no power since yesterday morning, no one wants to help, no heating, freezer food lost, no lighting, freezing cold..didn't sleep last night..What more can l do ! Totally given up

Userlevel 7

Hey @Tiggy777,

I’m really really sorry to hear this,

If you’re off supply you should be able to book an emergency appointment with the support team. Have you been sent an OVO account number? 

If so, I’d advise calling with that account number 0330 303 5063 and they can book in an emergency meter exchange. If there’s an issue with the booking tool because it’s a new account they can call the installer directly and book in an emergency appointment. 

Taken from the website:

Electrical power cut

If it’s area-wide, call 105 to report the power cut to your network distributor

Before you call, check if there’s a power cut in your area by looking at the streetlights outside, or your neighbours’ home. 

You should also:

• Switch off all your electric appliances – especially the ones that shouldn’t be left unattended like heaters. This will also protect your appliances from electrical surges.

• Leave one light switch turned “on” to show when the power comes back.

If only your home has lost power 

Check your fuse box to see if a switch has been tripped. If not:

1. Switch everything off at the plug.

2. Leave one light switch turned on so you can see if the power comes back on.

3. Turn off the main switch in the fuse box. 

4. Follow up by turning off all the individual switches, one by one. 

5. Turn the main switch back on. 

6. Flip each of the smaller switches back on, again one by one. If any of the switches flips itself back “off”, it has “tripped”. That means that there’s a fault. 

You can tell where the fault is by seeing which switch flips. You could have a faulty appliance plugged in. Try unplugging the appliance, and going back to step one to try again.

Don’t attempt to do any electrical work yourself. If there seems to be a fault but you don’t know what it is, it’s time to call an electrician.

Please confirm if you have been given an OVO account number, if so, it would seem like the supply has switched over. 

Keep us posted!