Solved

SSE to OVO - Can I continue to pay for my bills using my SSE payment card?

I have just been moved to ovo today when I got an sse email about my latest bill telling me I am now with ovo and to activate the account which I did, I have been asking questions on Facebook but I’m not getting the answers I need, I have asked half a dozen times about when I stop using the sse cards ( not prepayment meter, cards I put money on every week to keep my account in credit) and I got directed here, do I stop using my sse cards now or is there a time limit, I put money on the cards yesterday, where will this money have gone, I’m not a spring chicken any more and not that tech savvy but I get by but this is just sooooo confusing it’s giving me a sore head, please help, tia.

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 30 June 2022, 11:32

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Martinacole64 and thanks for the question. 

It sounds like you used to pay for your energy with SSE using a swipe payment card. For anyone else seeing this question, with swipe payment cards, some ‘pay monthly’ (so not prepayment) SSE customers payed their bills once the bill had been received by using a swipe card at a Paypoint.

We do have a separate process to sweep up any payments made using these SSE cards when customers have joined OVO from SSE. However, it may take longer for your payment to reach your account, as this is a bit of a workaround process. If it’s not showing in your account balance after 72 hours, please contact our Support team

We would encourage you to sign up for a Direct Debit instead, as they’re a good way to even out payments and make it much easier to manage your energy. If you haven’t already, set up a Direct Debit via your online account. If you prefer, our Support team can do this for you over the phone: 0330 303 5063.

Alternatively, you can continue to make payments via PayPoint, using the Giro slip attached to the bottom of all OVO pay-on-demand bills.

What is a GIRO slip and how does it work?

A General Interbank Recurring Order (GIRO) slip is a payment method which allows easy hassle-free payments to be made once a bill has been sent to you. They're attached to the bill and look similar to cheques:

Take the paper bill, with the attached GIRO slip, to a PayPoint participating store. The barcode will be scanned and a cash payment can then be provided to cover the cost of the bill.

Timeframes

GIRO payments can take a little longer to reach OVO's bank account. Using this payment method means it can take up to 72hrs for the payment to reach us and be allocated to show on your energy account. Another reason to go with that Direct Debit method!

Hope this helps,
Tim

Thank you for the information, does that mean that I will get a paper bill every month or do I have to request one so I can pay it at a paypoint, all the information I got from SSE about the switch is incorrect, I have no clue what is happening, Do I stop using the SSE swipe cards now? I’m not setting up any direct debits as it was not my choice to switch and I was happy with the old method and I have no clue how much gas and electric I am using.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As far as I’m aware, any existing payments from the swipe cards will be picked up within a few days and migrated over, but I’d recommend against continued usage of them.

If you had paper bills with SSE, that will continue to be the case on OVO as well - including a Giro slip. If you didn’t have paper bills before and would like them, let OVO’s Support Team know and they’ll set you up. There may be a charge for this service.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Martinacole64 and welcome to OVO,

Some really important questions to raise here about your billing and payment options now you’ve joined us from SSE. Just in case you hadn’t spotted it there’s a handy breakdown of the various ways (in addition to the Giro option mentioned above) that you can settle up your balance with us each month here.

Just to clarify, whilst the payments you’ve made using your SSE swipe card will make it over to your new OVO account there might be a bit of a delay so we’d recommend switching to one of our alternative payment methods once you’ve received your opening OVO statement.

Have you managed to get logged in your new OVO online account yet?

Thank you for your reply, I put money on my swipe cards on tuesday morning so that’s good to know that it will go into my new account, I’m going to stop using them, It says on one of the comments above that you can take the bill to a paypoint and have it scanned and pay cash, Is that correct? this is all new to me but I am having a smart meter installed on july the 25th so hopefully it will be easier.

Thank you for your reply, I put money on my swipe cards on tuesday morning so that’s good to know that it will go into my new account, I’m going to stop using them, It says on one of the comments above that you can take the bill to a paypoint and have it scanned and pay cash, Is that correct? this is all new to me but I am having a smart meter installed on july the 25th so hopefully it will be easier.

and yes I have managed to activate my ovo account, I can see my credit has been passed over but I can’t really understand any of it.

Userlevel 7

Great to hear about the upcoming smart meter installation, @Martinacole64.

As @Tim_OVO mentioned above you can continue paying via your local Paypoint by taking in the Giro slip printed at the bottom of your OVO bills. Now you’ve managed to get logged in to your new OVO online account there’s also the option to make a card payment online if you find that easier. Check out the guide below for help with this process:

Hope this helps.

Having been moved from SSE to OVO recently, I have a question.

My dear old 83yo Mum doesn’t like change, and prefers the way she pays for her Gas and Electric, at the Post Office counter every Monday, with her SSE Pre-payment cards - £10 on each.

She has been fretting about this since the move was announced from SSE, but in the final letter we got from SSE, it DOES state that she CAN continue to use her Pre-payment cards as normal after the switch to OVO.

Can she still do this, and will she be able to continue doing so, as it is easier for her.

She does not, and will not pay by Direct Debit.

Many thanks.

I asked the same question and this is the answer I got, I hope it helps. Some really important questions to raise here about your billing and payment options now you’ve joined us from SSE. Just in case you hadn’t spotted it there’s a handy breakdown of the various ways (in addition to the Giro option mentioned above) that you can settle up your balance with us each month here.

Just to clarify, whilst the payments you’ve made using your SSE swipe card will make it over to your new OVO account there might be a bit of a delay so we’d recommend switching to one of our alternative payment methods once you’ve received your opening OVO statement.

Have you managed to get logged in your new OVO online account yet?

I asked the same question and this is the answer I got, I hope it helps. Some really important questions to raise here about your billing and payment options now you’ve joined us from SSE. Just in case you hadn’t spotted it there’s a handy breakdown of the various ways (in addition to the Giro option mentioned above) that you can settle up your balance with us each month here.

Have you managed to get logged in your new OVO online account yet?

They also said that you could take the paper bill into a paypoint and get it swiped the same pay as the swipe cards, or to the bank or postoffice.

Userlevel 7

Great to see a fellow community member offering some great advice, @DaveThorn76.

As mentioned above these SSE payment cards will continue to reach the new OVO account, however as the payment may be delayed we’d recommend considering another payment method. You can continue to make payments via PayPoint, using the Giro slip attached to the bottom of all OVO pay-on-demand bills.

What is a GIRO slip and how does it work?

A General Interbank Recurring Order (GIRO) slip is a payment method which allows easy hassle-free payments to be made once a bill has been sent to you. They're attached to the bill and look similar to cheques:

Take the paper bill, with the attached GIRO slip, to a PayPoint participating store. The barcode will be scanned and a cash payment can then be provided to cover the cost of the bill.

Timeframes

GIRO payments can take a little longer to reach OVO's bank account. Using this payment method means it can take up to 72hrs for the payment to reach us and be allocated to show on your energy account. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice @Jess_OVO ,

Mum would really prefer to continue paying a little each week in advance, with her prepayment cards, as it’s what she’s used to.

Do you know how much longer she’ll be able to do this for?

Are prepayment cards eventually going to be cancelled?

Many thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

At the moment, my understanding is that the SSE cards will continue to work for now, albeit with an extended delay as any payments made using them will need to be “swept across” to OVO before they can be linked to the account.

However, I would definitely recommend moving away from continued use of those cards as OVO can’t and won’t be able to guarantee keeping them active forever. It’s a case of when rather than if, but there’s no known deadline right now. They’re linked to legacy systems that will eventually have to be turned off.

That’s all I know at this time.

Userlevel 7

Are prepayment cards eventually going to be cancelled?

Many thanks. 

Whilst there’s no immediate plans to discontinue this payment method, we’d really recommend making these regular payments another way to avoid undue delays in seeing the credit applied to an account. 

There’s advice on how to make payments online in the guide below.

Alternatively  a manual bank payment can be made using the details confirmed below,

Have been transferred to ovo from see. Always paid my bill by cash at pay point ,but phoned ovo and they told me that they don’t accept this. I can’t believe they can’t do this surely all it takes is to add a giro payment slip at the bottom of the bill, I am very annoyed at this can anyone advise me. If they can’t do it I’ll change my supplier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @Alawats !

Yup, OVO definitely does support this option. All I will ask is that you remember to take the Giro Slip with you to whichever PayPoint shop you visit, as they’ll need both that and your cash in order to process the payment. Always use the latest one attached to each bill, as older slips might not work. If you don’t have the right slip with you, the shopkeeper won’t be able to help you pay the bill off.

Please bear in mind it may take up to five working days to process and show up in MyOVO but OVO will then know exactly when you paid and it’ll be backdated to that date.

Many thanks for your reply, I’ll get back on to them and sort it out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries.

No action is required from anyone to set this up. If no Direct Debit is active, your bills will automatically include a Giro Slip.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Alawats and welcome to the OVO online community,

Great to see you’ve already learned that Giro payments are still possible with OVO. You can find out more on this in the thread above.

Hope this helps.

received my first monthly bill online 3 pages , but no giro slip attached to pay at my local pay point which i wish to do and always have done with sse previously, i also used to pay quarterly with them and they used to send out my bill by post. they still say this is not available.

I already asked this question re paying my bill by paypoint by cash and to use the giro slip at bottom of my bill, however i just looked at my online bill and it is 3 pages long but no giro slip on it. used to pay sse quarterly at a paypoint and they would send my bill out by post not online. ovo still say this is not available to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you have access to your online account, then the best options are either to set up a Direct Debit, or make a card payment via MyOVO. If you still want that Giro Slip to pay by cash, you’ll need to switch to paper bills.

Quarterly payments are dead across the market, sorry but I’m afraid you’ll no longer have that option with 99% of suppliers.

Userlevel 7

Sorry for our confusion, @Alawats.

As you mention Giro slips are only included in postal statements. Were you receiving paper bills when you were with SSE? If so these should continue following the move to OVO, so it’s worth getting in touch with our Support Team to double check the communication preferences we’ve got registered on your new account. 

In the meantime there are plenty of payment options here at OVO, read more about these and decide the best option for you here.