Solved

Moving out but what date should I close my OVO account?

• 2 April 2022
  • 2 replies

I moved house last weekend and submitted my move out date as 27th. However I've now been told by my landlord I was liable for costs until the new tenant moved in yesterday - so my move out date and meter reading should be 31st March as per an inventory.

I can no longer access my account, can it be reopened and an updated move out date and meter reading be added?

I've received my final bill through.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 4 April 2022, 13:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Rsmith ,

My advice would be to give OVO’s Support Team a call on Monday and see what they can do. The number to call is 0330 303 5063. They might be able to fix this for you.

As far as I’m concerned though, your landlord is possibly trying to rip you off here. Your liability for the supply is supposed to end on the day you moved out i.e. the 27th March 2022 even if an inventory was taken on the 31st March 2022. In the meantime, your landlord is supposed to be responsible for the supply on a deemed contract basis and they cannot pass this cost onto you. For all you know, that inventory might be for when the new tenant moved in - and one should have been taken when you moved out.

If you keep getting stuck and can’t get the landlord to agree, I’d suggest talking to Citizens Advice for further help.

Userlevel 7

Just wanted to step in here to help clear up the possible confusion, @Rsmith.

Your energy account should be closed on the date that your tenancy agreement ends, which may not exactly align to the date you left the property. If you’re not sure it’s worth checking your tenancy agreement or contacting your letting agency. It sounds like your landlord has advised this was actually a few days after you had originally closed your account with OVO. Not to worry, our Support Team are able to correct this and log the updated closing reads for you, if this was in fact the last date of your tenancy.

You’ll then receive a re-issued final statement.

Hope this helps get this one sorted! 🙂