F.A.Q.

Moving from SSE to OVO - will my tariff and prices change when I'm with OVO?

• 7 October 2021
  • 23 replies
Moving from SSE to OVO - will my tariff and prices change when I'm with OVO?
Userlevel 7

Updated on 08/08/22 by TIm_OVO

Price and tariffs when moving from SSE

Your move to OVO won't affect the prices you currently pay. If you’re on a fixed tariff they’ll stay the same for the rest of your contract. If you’re on a variable tariff, your prices may go up or down in line with the Ofgem Price Cap changes which happen twice a year (April and October). This is set to change to every 3 months. We’ll always let you know in advance if your prices need to change. See this guide on price cap changes and how we’re supporting our members:

We’ve also made an FAQ on wholesale price increases here:

If you were on a fixed tariff with SSE your tariff (we call this an energy "plan") name will stay the same - 1 Year Fix V2, 2 Year Fix V2 or Online Smart Saver. If you're on a variable contract, your plan name will be "Simpler Energy" when you move to OVO.

More information on this and a whole host of other SSE FAQs here

23 replies

With it now being monthly bills  instead of 3 months will the standing charge  for 3 single months cost more than the 3 month charge ?  Is this just a way to hike the price up 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The standing charge is a daily charge. So if you are billed for a 30 day period you'll pay 30x the daily standing charge.

Monthly billing should not change the total amount that the standing charge costs 

Will the daily standing charge  work out higher than the 3 month charge

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nope. It's the same either way. 

Thanks I got a bit confused having just moved from SE to ovo

I was recently switched for SSE to OVO and ever since I’ve been constantly asked for money.

Like everyone these days I like to keep tabs on my usage and check the app daily but when I do I find i’m in debit and end up paying. So far I’ve made payments of 500, 60, 40, 2.00 and so on, there’s another one now of 25p. On top of this they say my smart meter is not communicating and could I send them a reading. I was told there would be a settling in period of 6 weeks, that has now passed. My smart meter hasn’t worked right from the day SSE installed it although I am constantly being told its fine but still shows days were I used no electricity. As for the reading I am disabled, (COPED, Depression) so climbing onto a kitchen counter to get a reading is impossible for me. The whole thing is now getting to me and I fear checking the app. 

I’ve heard nothing but bad things about Smart meters, I’m afraid but appreciate your situation.  Maybe time to complain to OFGEM & call Citizen’s Advice?

We won’t ever use “SMART” meters.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I was recently switched for SSE to OVO and ever since I’ve been constantly asked for money.

Like everyone these days I like to keep tabs on my usage and check the app daily but when I do I find i’m in debit and end up paying. So far I’ve made payments of 500, 60, 40, 2.00 and so on, there’s another one now of 25p. On top of this they say my smart meter is not communicating and could I send them a reading. I was told there would be a settling in period of 6 weeks, that has now passed. My smart meter hasn’t worked right from the day SSE installed it although I am constantly being told its fine but still shows days were I used no electricity. As for the reading I am disabled, (COPED, Depression) so climbing onto a kitchen counter to get a reading is impossible for me. The whole thing is now getting to me and I fear checking the app. 

Hi @Scoobnut

Sorry to hear about your issues. 

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like you. A few of us post sometimes where we think we may be able to help. I don't have access to your account. 

There are a few questions we can ask to see if it helps?

Firstly have a look at these pages (obviously the gas one depends on whether you actually have gas in your home)

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/gas

Here is mine for example for electricity. 

It has a reading every day and it says (Smart) next to each reading.

Do any of the readings say (Smart) for you? What is the frequency of the readings? What is the date of the last reading? 

My smart meter was installed April last year and the first of this month is the only reading with smart next to it, the rest are manual. My account says the last smart meter reading was the 1st August and would I mind sending them one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

My smart meter was installed April last year and the first of this month is the only reading with smart next to it, the rest are manual. My account says the last smart meter reading was the 1st August and would I mind sending them one.

Hi @Scoobnut I suspect your smart meter may only be setup to currently send one reading a month now you are with OVO. We have seen that recently with other people. While with SSE it sounds like they weren't even taking one smart meter reading a month. 

Ask OVO to change your smart meter reading frequency to every 30 minutes. 

Once this is done you shouldn't need to take any more readings and you will be able to see all the readings on the ovo website.

Does that help and make sense?

Once you have done that i could ask a few more questions to see if there is anything else if you like. 

Hi Jeffus, my smart meter is set to every 30 mins. SSE had issues getting it to communicate and kept doing diagnostics on the metre, once I was told an engineer would be in touch to make an appointment to replace it but never heard from him. I gave up then. My in home display would show me how much power I was using but nothing else as it constantly said not connected to metre. Now, all of a sudden, It’s giving me all the info including monthly usage. Its just not sending the info to SSE/OVO but I get it through the app (eventually)

I don’t have a smart meter, but like you I’m always being asked for more money after paying a bill, I pay by cheque, last week I paid a bill...and also got a letter saying I owed £ 116...AND IT MIGHT AFFECT MY CREDIT RATINGS IF IT WASN’T PAID., so I also made out a cheque for this amount, sent both cheques to OVO….when I look online at my account this money has not been taken off ,I cannot for the life of me understand their bills,  sse were so straight forward, I don’t think I’ll be with OVO much longer. My account says that they haven’t had a meter reading since march….not true I was on the phone to them a couple of weeks ago and gave the girl I was speaking to an Up To Date  reading   taken that morning, it seems it doesn’t matter if you pay a bill…..you’re still owing them money….with sse...you got a bill...easy to read and understand...customers don’t need this pressure….

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi Jeffus, my smart meter is set to every 30 mins. SSE had issues getting it to communicate and kept doing diagnostics on the metre, once I was told an engineer would be in touch to make an appointment to replace it but never heard from him. I gave up then. My in home display would show me how much power I was using but nothing else as it constantly said not connected to metre. Now, all of a sudden, It’s giving me all the info including monthly usage. Its just not sending the info to SSE/OVO but I get it through the app (eventually)

Hi @Scoobnut

OK, good to know that additional info

Older smart meters are gradually getting a software upgrade to the new standard so i wouldn't assume what happened with SSE is necessarily still the case, although it could be.

Watch and see if you get another smart meter reading on the app and website around the 1st September.

It would also be worth having a look what one of the 3rd part energy apps can see in terms of meter readings.

https://www.glowmarkt.com/

This is one of the apps some of us use. It is an official regulated company with permission to grab the data if you ask them to. 

We have recently seen cases where 3rd party apps are displaying more smart meter readings than OVO. 

Userlevel 7

Some really good advice here. A few things I can think of to help @Scoobnut:

Have a look at our guides here which aim to help customers diagnose if (and why) their smart meter isn’t working as expected:

SMETS1 Secure Smart Meter Health Check guide - here

SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check guide - here

Let us know if your smart meter is a different model and we can go from there. 

Once you know those readings are being sent remotely, you know the balance is right. Then you might consider a Direct Debit, which helps you avoid having to manually pay anything. It’s all automated for you. More info here:

Lastly please consider signing up to the Priority Services Register.

Thank you for your help. I have looked at the links you sent me and my smart metre looks nothing like those in the pictures. We have a M20 0120. I’m registered with the priority services register. Direct debits I’m wary of. I constantly had to fight to stop my previous direct debit going up and got so fed up that in the end I cancelled it. Our income is pension and disability, we’re struggling as it is so adding a high DD is just not possible. We had air source installed in April 21 but its become so pricy to run were going back to use the solid fuel stoves.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for confirming, @Scoobnut.

If your smart meter isn’t a SMETS1 Secure, or a SMETS2 Aclara, the next step will be to work out if it’s SMETS1 or SMETS2. If it’s SMETS1, it may still not work with all suppliers. This won’t be the case for much longer though. Please see a list of all smart meter models (with confirmation of what the meter serial number starts with) and when it will be upgraded to work with all suppliers, here:

Not sure what metre it is but this is what I have. My smart meter connected to OVO on the first of August but not since although it gives me the information through the app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s a SMETS2 Landis+Gyr E470 with an EDMI Standard 420 Comms Hub for the Northern Territory if I’m not mistaken.

We’ve got some guides for these somewhere, bear with me!

Userlevel 7

Yep it’s Landis+Gyr, and it looks like a SMETS2 (which will work with any supplier as long as it has signal), although the comms hub at the top looks different to the one in this guide:

@Blastoise186 do we think that’s because it’s in the northern territory so doesn’t use the Toshiba SKU comms hub like they do down south?

Perhaps that tutorial above needs something added to it...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Correctamundo boss!

If you’re OK to give me consent to use your image though, I’d definitely be happy to update the guide to show this example. I just never thought to at the time because there weren’t any suitable images available.

Good to know it's able to send the info, just wish it would. Last time it sent reading's was the first of August. I'm constantly being asked to send a reading which would require me to climb onto kitchen units, impossible.

Userlevel 7

Bear in mind @Scoobnut, you’ve recently switched from SSE. Switching suppliers can mean a bit of a drop off in smart meter communication for a number of weeks. 

After 6 weeks since you joined OVO, have a look at this page and see if the online account picks up that you have a smart meter:

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Then look at this page to see how often it sends your readings:

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

If you need to change the meter read schedule to send us your readings every 30 minutes, our Support team can sort this. I’d recommend waiting the full 6 weeks though...

My smart metre readings go back as far as April 2021 and there's not been a smart reading until 1st August 2022 then nothing after. I'll give until the 1st next month which will make it eight weeks.