Solved

I'm moving from an owned property to a rented property but keeping the flat - what do I do about my energy account?

• 26 September 2021
  • 4 replies

I’m moving from an owned property (property 1) to a rented property (property 2), but continuing to own property 1. This property will be empty for a few weeks before the tenants move in - what do I do about the energy supply? 

icon

Best answer by Simon1D 26 September 2021, 22:37

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I happen to have had recent experience of this process, and Ovo told me the owner should just go through the “moving out” process, timed to happen at the end of those few weeks. The tenant becomes responsible for the supply (only) when the tenancy starts.

(Moving out is a legitimate reason for ending a fixed term contract early, and no penalty fee is charged.)

Hope that helps (and that the rules haven’t changed in the meantime).

Happy to report the rules haven’t changed! You’ll just need to make sure the date you enter for your ‘move out’ is actually the date before your new tenants move in. The easiest way to let us know is via the ‘Moving Home’ page of your online account:

Exact appearance may vary

It’s worth letting your new tenants know that they’ll need to get in touch with us to set up an account from the date they move in, we’ve got a great guide to this process if they need any further advice on this.

For you - the next steps would be to find out who’s the supplier at your new place. Obviously it’s up to you whether you’d like to switch back to us (if we’re not the supplier already) - but I’ll leave a handy link here just in case. :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As a tenant myself, I can also vouch for this. OVO waives the exit fees if you’re leaving because you’re moving home, on the basis that you probably wouldn’t have known that you might move house at the time you signed up and/or renewed your contract. But you have to trigger the Moving Home process for the system to pick this up correctly - it also “unlocks” the supply for whoever moves in next so that they don’t run into a brick wall.

I would actually kinda recommend that you time your “Move Out” to complete at least one day before the new tenant moves in, so that the new tenant can more easily sign up with OVO and set their account up. They’ll be welcome to switch to another supplier if they wish of course - but they must sign up with OVO first so that they can take ownership of the supply, otherwise this can block a switch going through. It’s pretty much the same story with any other supplier too and I think it’s industry rules or something along those lines.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Just to complicate things a little, in the experience I mentioned, there was a letting agent involved. The upshot was that by the time the tenancy started, the supply had already been switched away from Ovo. (Only the previous day, as it happened.)

After a bit of ferreting, I found that among that agent's standard terms of business was a demand that they be given authority to switch the supply to SSE, and keep the commission that they earn thereby.

The fact that by that time SSE's retail business had already been bought by Ovo just adds a certain irony to the whole process.

"Market forces" are amazing, really…

PS. If you give X as the moving out date, the final reading on your account, if you have a smart meter, will be the opening reading on day X, because that is also the opening reading for the tenant's account at the point they become responsible for the supply.

Userlevel 7

Welcome to the OVO online community, @Laura1997 - a great question to ask about what to do if you’re moving out but retaining ownership of a property.

Our great community members have already offered tip-top advice on this one:

I happen to have had recent experience of this process, and Ovo told me the owner should just go through the “moving out” process, timed to happen at the end of those few weeks. The tenant becomes responsible for the supply (only) when the tenancy starts.

(Moving out is a legitimate reason for ending a fixed term contract early, and no penalty fee is charged.)

Hope that helps (and that the rules haven’t changed in the meantime).

Happy to report the rules haven’t changed! You’ll just need to make sure the date you enter for your ‘move out’ is actually the date before your new tenants move in. The easiest way to let us know is via the ‘Moving Home’ page of your online account:

Exact appearance may vary

It’s worth letting your new tenants know that they’ll need to get in touch with us to set up an account from the date they move in, we’ve got a great guide to this process if they need any further advice on this.

For you - the next steps would be to find out who’s the supplier at your new place. Obviously it’s up to you whether you’d like to switch back to us (if we’re not the supplier already) - but I’ll leave a handy link here just in case. :wink: