Solved

I'm a new Economy 7 customer trying to submit opening meter reading - why are you allowing only a single reading?

• 20 September 2021
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone,

I’m a new OVO customer. I have an E7 meter with night and day readings. My plan confirms my date/night tariff etc. A letter arrived asking me to submit my opening reading but only offered me one box to put my reading into.  I was expecting to submit a night reading and a day reading as I have done many times in the past with previous suppliers. Can any one offer an explanation before I seek an alternative supplier?

Many thanks

Paul.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 21 September 2021, 12:42

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hehehe, that’s community power for you!

I often use this forum to submit bug reports related to OVO’s stuff - not least because it takes some of the workload off the Support Team and allows Tim or Jess to escalate my bug reports directly to the relevant teams (which is where they’d end up anyway).

For me, this solution is the best of both worlds and I’m definitely happy to call it fixed. Not only does this ensure that I don’t have to fix a bazillion references in my forum content, but it also means that there’s now two buttons which can trigger the Live Chat - one of which is additionally accessible on ALL pages under https://help.ovoenergy.com too. :)

Mind you, if you look at the help centre for OVO Energy Australia (which runs on Zendesk), they do a similar thing with a Zendesk widget that I always forget the name of! I’ve actually chatted with that Support Team a few times too! Let’s just say they really appreciate the fact that someone from the UK is happy to help them catch mistakes in the support articles... :rofl:

Userlevel 1

Just wow!

My hats off to you all at Ovo, this is perfect! I’m genuinely astonished that a large company listened and acted upon customer feedback. Please keep this level of professionalism up and you will retain customer satisfaction and ultimately customers well into the future.

Many thanks to you all once again!

Paul.

Userlevel 7

@ax_foley @Blastoise186 and anyone else, I’m happy to confirm we’ve now improved the visibility of the online chat button, as you suggested we should. Check it out here.

We’ve kept the green icon on the bottom left of the screen, and re-added the pink ‘Online chat’ button above the other contact channel options. 

Let us know what you think please!

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the feedback on the new webchat link, @ax_foley.

We passed this on to the relevant team as we agree, it’s not to obvious on the help page at the moment.

Glad to hear you managed to get through to the team and both opening meter readings logged. Do pop back if you’ve got any more questions about getting to grips with your new online account. We’re always happy to help here where we can. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Haha, don’t worry - it will almost certainly be fixed! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s actually going to make things a bit more fun for us actually. Because now I’ll have to consider going back through all my existing references to the live chat button and potentially update them. And I think a certain someone might need to update even more references...

Userlevel 1

@Blastoise186  @Jess_OVO 

Thank you both for your help on this. My 5 minute online chat was a success and my opening readings have now been submitted to my account.

Thank you kindly.

P.S Sort that chat icon out, it may save yours and other’s time in future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah, I can see what you mean there. It could be a bit more obvious.

I’ll chat with Tim and Jess about that and ask if they can feed this back to the right team. I think one possible fix would be to edit that bubble so that it has something like “Live Chat” or “Need Help? Chat Now!” next to the message icon. That should hopefully fix this bug.

Userlevel 1

You’re my hero @Blastoise186 for pointing this out, but call me old school, ‘easier to find’ isn’t how I would describe it. I’d hazard a guess and say a good number of your customers are old enough to remember the days we had to read items rather than interpret lonely icons, perhaps having ‘online chat’ with the icon might be beneficial to your customer’s sanity. 

I thank you all the same and I shall now go off and integrate the online chat system.

Thank you kindly.

Paul.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Could you try https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container please?

The Live Chat button has recently been moved to make it easier to find. If you can see the green button in the bottom right corner, that’s what you’re looking for. Just like this example.

UPDATE (28/09/21): This has since been improved further - please see below!

Userlevel 1

Hi Jess,

I have to thank you for getting back to me as often and as quickly as you do, this is appreciated. Sadly for me, the information you are providing is somewhat useless. I have attempted to connect to the online chat system, not because of your most recent suggestion but because in the generic meter readings letter, they provided a URL to the online chat system in case I had any issues with submitting my readings. When entering the URL, it timed out which wasn’t a good start and hence why I turned to the forum. I have just this minute tried the URL again and it took me to a help page.  

I’m certainly no rocket scientist but I cannot for the life of me find the online chat system that you speak of, neither on the help page or at the bottom of this page as you suggested.

Is it possible that you could provide me a direct URL to the online chat system? I’d really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Paul.

Userlevel 7

I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t been able to enter both sets of readings on your online account, @ax_foley.

I appreciate this is an error on our part, but would really recommend contacting the team to make sure you’ve sent us a record of the readings around the date you joined us. This avoids the chance that we’ll open to an estimated reading or have to get the readings re-agreed at a later point. If you’d rather not give us a call, the quickest way to get in touch is via our webchat- a link to which you can find at the bottom of this page.

As you’ve also mentioned receiving your welcome documents in the post, it’s worth mentioning that if you’d rather just receive email communications in future this can be updated if you request this when contacting the Support Team.

Hope this helps get things sorted. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 1

Welcome to OVO and to our online community, @ax_foley.

Sorry to hear you’ve had a bit of a glitch when trying to enter both your day and night  opening readings. As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 suggests it sounds like you may have received a generic meter reading reminder letter, which is understandably confusing - especially as your dual rate plan has been confirmed.

It’s worth checking whether your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) is also allowing only a single reading to be logged - if so our Support Team can investigate this further and make sure we get both the readings submitted in time to be used as your initial readings.

Hoping this can be resolved ASAP for you - do pop back and let us know how you get on.

We’ve also got a great guide on what to expect when you switch to us here. :slight_smile:

Hi, thank you for your responses.

The opening meter readings letter (not to be confused with the full welcome pack with all my agreed tariff plan details - a very shocking, bizarre and unnecessary full colour document print by the way - a pdf file would have worked just as well) does appear to be generic but I expect that. It simply asked me to go to a URL, sign up and enter my readings. I signed up and my online account shows my account number which is also shown on my documents and tariff plan details so you would expect when entering meter readings, my account would have tied my tariff with my meter readings type i.e. 2 of them 1 for day and 1 for night rate. Confused at the possible simplicity if this mishap, I entered my day rate reading and the site just said thanks for the entry. It did occur to me OVO may have somehow switched me to a single supply but my night rate is still counting up the usage so that’s not the case but I will keep an eye on this. OVO are also supposed to send my opening readings to my previous supplier which will also confuse them as they’re expecting readings. I’m not prepared to spend countless hours and pennies on the phone being bounced from one department to another getting nowhere. So I think, the best thing I can do is let OVO realise what has happened, let them sort it out and if they don’t, i’ll take my chance, pay the exit fee and move again. 

Apologies for my blunt tone but I shouldn’t be having to write any of this in the first place.

Paul.

Userlevel 7

Welcome to OVO and to our online community, @ax_foley.

Sorry to hear you’ve had a bit of a glitch when trying to enter both your day and night  opening readings. As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 suggests it sounds like you may have received a generic meter reading reminder letter, which is understandably confusing - especially as your dual rate plan has been confirmed.

It’s worth checking whether your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) is also allowing only a single reading to be logged - if so our Support Team can investigate this further and make sure we get both the readings submitted in time to be used as your initial readings.

Hoping this can be resolved ASAP for you - do pop back and let us know how you get on.

We’ve also got a great guide on what to expect when you switch to us here. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey there @ax_foley !

Whoops, sorry about that! The best thing I’d suggest would be to give the Support Team a call and they’ll take the opening readings manually. Hope you’re OK with that.

I’ll go ahead and ask @Tim_OVO and @Jess_OVO to feed this back as well. It sounds to me as if the letter you received was based on a template that’s not intended for Economy 7 setups. I’ll ask if this can be fed back so that it’s fixed for the future.

Thanks for flagging this up!