Solved

I have two electricity meters with two MPANS - Why are my storage heaters resulting in high energy costs?

• 7 September 2021
  • 30 replies

Show first post

30 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi! 

Been a while but thought I’d update. They changed the meter, it is done! Not sure how it’s affecting my bills yet, but at least we know it’s possible to do now.. with a lot of research and fighting..

Funnily enough, after the meter was changed, my landlord said they’d send someone over to see if i can get gas..

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey, welcome back @BrightEyes161 !

That’s great news, glad to hear you finally got things taken care of. :)

Hopefully this should result in your bills dropping slightly, as I suspect the second MPAN will be terminated, along with the related Standing Charges. Paying only one of those will always be cheaper than paying for two. This will also make it a little bit easier to switch supplier in the future, should you wish to do so.

Please allow up to three months for the redundant MPAN to be fully terminated from your property and be reflected in both the bills and your account. ECOES will of course be updated with the new meter details and MPAN data as well, but it just takes a while. Either way, the Standing Charges for the removed meter/MPAN should cease as of the date that meter was removed, even if it doesn’t show up immediately.

As for getting gas… At this late stage I personally wouldn’t recommend it unless there’s already a gas main in your street. Gas is being slowly phased out over time in the UK, and the amount of time, effort and resources required to get a gas supply set up now - especially if there’s no gas mains nearby - is potentially unviable unless you seriously need it badly. The UK is moving more towards electric only and as gas prices creep up, the price advantages of gas are being slowly eroded. This isn’t to say it’s definitely out of the question, but may be worth factoring into any decisions.

Mind you, a couple of months ago now, someone from a housing association in Scotland actually reached out to me via PM to ask about similar matters after seeing one of my guides. I did respond to them, but I never heard back… I’ve decided not to reveal their identity for privacy reasons, and out of respect for the fact it was via PM.

Userlevel 2

Hi again!

So I’ve been on the new tariff for a while now, and it’s been a little cheaper than last winter, perhaps 10% or so. All of my electricity has a day rate and a night rate, not just the storage heater. The savings might have evened out over summer as my day rate is higher than it was before, but there have been changes that I wanted to ask advice about.

My landlord is in the process of setting up gas. Probably the worst timing for this all things considered. I asked them to look into a more efficient storage heater a while ago but it’s out of my control and this is what I’m getting.

The gas meter has been fitted and I’ve managed to get on a not terrible fixed tariff. Issue is the person who came to fit it said I should get in touch with my electricity provider as the electricity meter will be ‘defunct’ after the storage heaters are removed and I should go on a 1 rate electric meter. My worry with this is that I’m currently on a pretty good tariff, because even though at the time the day rate was higher than the average 1 rate standard, as it is with E7, now the average 1 rate standard is wildly high - about double my day rate and several times higher than my night rate. 

My question is am I still legally allowed to benefit from these rates with my fixed electricity tariff after the storage heaters are removed and the gas heating is set up? 

As a side note, the person who fitted the gas meter said that the smart functionality of the gas meter won’t work until there is a hub set up (?) with my electricity meter, which I should contact my electricity provider to sort out. I’d like smart functionality but not at the expense of a higher tariff, and I have a feeling my electricity provider might need me to go on a really expensive single rate to sort that out. I think he might have said though that it is possible for him/my gas provider to set up that hub themselves, but I’m not sure why he didn’t then? 

Is there anything I am legally obliged to do here? And what do you advise? Thanks. The saga that never ends!

Userlevel 7

Welcome back, @BrightEyes161 - so nice to hear that you managed to get a dual rate electricity meter sorted out.

There’s a few great questions you’ve raised here in advance of getting those storage heaters removed. If I remember correctly you’re not currently an OVO member? Whilst I’m able to advise on what we’d be able to offer in this scenario, it’s worth double-checking with your current supplier as they may have slightly different processes.

Issue is the person who came to fit it said I should get in touch with my electricity provider as the electricity meter will be ‘defunct’ after the storage heaters are removed and I should go on a 1 rate electric meter. My worry with this is that I’m currently on a pretty good tariff, because even though at the time the day rate was higher than the average 1 rate standard, as it is with E7, now the average 1 rate standard is wildly high - about double my day rate and several times higher than my night rate. 

Not sure if the engineer might’ve given you some mis-advice here. Whilst it’s true that you’d no longer need an extra tail to your meter once the storage heaters are removed, this should be easily removed, without affecting the function of your meter. Your meter would remain in Economy 7 mode, unless you expressly wish to change this to a single rate.

What you might find is that once your night-time usage is reduced, an Economy 7 plan is no longer the most cost-effective option for you. At OVO we’d offer you the single rate prices available when your current fixed plan started or the current single-rate variable price, if you’re on the Simpler Energy plan, so it’s worth checking with your current supplier to see what plan might be available if you chose this option with them.

As a side note, the person who fitted the gas meter said that the smart functionality of the gas meter won’t work until there is a hub set up (?) with my electricity meter, which I should contact my electricity provider to sort out. I’d like smart functionality but not at the expense of a higher tariff, and I have a feeling my electricity provider might need me to go on a really expensive single rate to sort that out. I think he might have said though that it is possible for him/my gas provider to set up that hub themselves, but I’m not sure why he didn’t then? 

Sounds like your new smart gas meter might not be compatible with your existing electricity meter. Is your gas on-supply with the same supplier? If so I’d recommend speaking to them about an upgrade to one or both meters to allow them to communicate to each other.

Whilst a separate comms hub can be fitted to your gas meter this is a slightly more technical installation which we’d usually only recommend if your gas and electricity were being supplied by different energy suppliers.

I hope this helps explain things a little more, do pop back if you’ve got any more questions after speaking to your supplier. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2

Hi Jess

Thanks for the reply! It’s good to know that I won’t be forced off my current electricity tariff if the alternative would be more expensive for me!

Thank you, I will check with EDF then to see what they can do about the tariff. My gas is with a different provider, British Gas. I shopped around, but nobody apart from BG would fit me with a meter for a new gas supply. Apart from my current electricity provider, EDF, but they wanted me to sign up for a two year tariff at 13p per kWh! British Gas was expensive, as everywhere is right now, but it was much better than this.

And yeah, I think that’s what the British Gas guy said - that a comms hub can be fitted for the gas but it’ll be easier if EDF change my electricity meter to a single rate smart meter first and put their own hub in. My electricity meter is currently a legacy E7 non-smart meter as far as I know.

I’ll get in touch with EDF now. I think even if they offered me the same as what you mentioned OVO do - matching the single rate to the price at the time I started E7, it’d still work out more expensive, as at the time they put me on a discontinued tariff that was cheaper than the current rates, for complicated reasons.. We’ll see! I’d love to have smart functionality for both gas and electric but maybe I can still get it for just gas if not. And if I can’t get either, fingers crossed at least my flat will be warmer with the new central heating next winter. I’d like to at least get some benefit from this drawn out saga!